AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so much about this bass shaker that I just ordered one, including a QSC-RMX-1450 amp.

I thing I understand how to hook it up, so my questions have to do how to make my HT seating shake.

I have a floating woodfloor on top of concrete (is a system similar to Pergo, but it is 1/4 wood layer instead of lamination), and I have 2 recliner chairs in front of the TV.

Based on information I gather from the Buttkicker website, it seems that I have 2 choices:

a- Build a platform with a 2"x6" frame and put 3/4" playwood on top, then isolate it with the rubber portion of toilet plungers or the kinetics isolators, then place the 2 chairs on top of the platform, and the BK under or on top of it.

b- Use 3 or 4 skids, one for each row of chair legs, either tie them or not and make 1 or 2 of the skids longer to attach the BK, again use the rubber portion of toilet plungers or the kinetics isolators.

I'm hesistant of the platform because it will raise the chairs to much and you would be able to see the platform, the skids are appealing because you won't see them much, except for the back.

Could you please give me your feedback on what you have done? and if you have taken both approches as described above, and what worked better for you, or other options that I am not aware of yet.

Thank you for in advance for your help.

Carlos

·
Registered
144 Posts
Carlos,

I have 2 of the BK units with 2 DCM 1000 amps. Mine are installed by method A, the platform method. I am very happy with the platform mounting. Just as a reference for the BK ability to shake, I have 2 platforms that are 4.5' x 10' each. I am only using about 40% of the output of the amps. These things really move. By the way, I did not use the Kinetics vibration isolators due to they would have raised my platform by 1.75". I purchased vibration isolators from Grainger supply. You can look these up at www.grainger.com. Calculate the total weight of the platforms along with the average weight of people sitting on them divided by the # of isolators you plan to use. This will give you an Idea where to start when looking for the isolation pads as they are rated for poundage. It is best to go to the lighter side and not the heavy side when selecting the pads. You want the pads to be compressed not uncompressed. Uncompressed will absorb energy. The fewer # of isolation pads the better. Since you have a hard surface floor, I would recommend insulating under the platform.

I hope this info helps. Good Luck.

DarrenW

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use 2 platforms and a pair of Buttkickers in my setup. I only use 1" thick plywood covered with thin non padded carpet for appearance. I have fitted them with isolation feet from Kinetics noise control.

I would think this would work in your situation. A piece of 1" thick plywood cut to the proper dimensions fitted with 8 isolation feet. Position each isolation foot slightly outside of each chair legs position for close support.

I use T-nuts on the underside of each platform for ease of BK top mounting.

John

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Carlos,

By the way, I did not use the Kinetics vibration isolators due to they would have raised my platform by 1.75". I purchased vibration isolators from Grainger supply. You can look these up at www.grainger.com.

I hope this info helps. Good Luck.

DarrenW
DarrenW,

I went to Grainger and found a similar isolator to Kinetic's, but 40% cheaper, the model #4C955 $8.97 each for 40-75#, but it is 1.5" high, did you find something smaller?, if yes what is the item#?

Thank you

Carlos

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just ordered the new Buttkicker II and am looking for an amp. I was recommended that I go for a minimum of 2000 watts to 3000 watts + for optimal output. Will this be overkill? Any cheap amp recommendations?

Also how would you guys suggest I install this in the bedroom? The bed is perfect, with a wooden platform supporting the mattress and two rectangular wood blocks on both ends on the bed:

Mattress on top

--------------------------------------------

|___________________________|

·
Registered
841 Posts
madcowz,

I have been using tactile transducers to activate a queen size adjustable bed for several years.

The bottom section of the box springs is manufactured of 3 sections of 1" thick plywood. They cover the entire lower surface except for two ½" gaps to accommodate head and foot adjustment.

I used my first RBH array and my Clark 329F and Platinum models mounted directly to the panels with very good results.

When I added a pair of BK's I also used the same mounting surface. At that time I did add some support platforms fitted with isolation feet from Kinetics Noise Control.

I have moved my BK's from the underside of the bed to the support platforms. The tactile sensation is distributed much more evenly.

Instead of a rumbling bed it feels like a bed resting on rumbling ground.

With either mounting configuration I would recommend the use of isolation feet which will allow your bed to cycle.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.