AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have two Buttkicker Advance BK4-4 units I'm trying to get running. I tried powering them on the L/R channels (4-ohm load each) off an old Yamaha RX-V630 and wasn't impressed (I had to alter my main receiver LFE output to +6 dB and crank it). My fallback plan is to get the famed INUKE 3000DSP.

I ran 4-conductor 12ga wire (50-ft currently, plan to reduce to ~35 ft) and planned to run each speaker on its own channel, but with the INUKE, I believe I would run them in series on Channel A. How do you recommend I wire up the single SpeakOn connector using my existing cable?

I could wire-nut two conductors of my cable at the amp side creating a serial link (doubling the length of cable) or I could use just 2 conductors of the existing cable and use a different cable between the two Buttkickers. Would running a 2-ohm or 8-ohm load be recommended in this instance? Would it be better to run these Buttkickers in parallel?

What about if I add two additional Buttkickers in the future (with a different cable)? I'd like the additional Buttkickers to have a different volume than the first two (in case my wife wants it turned off for example). I plan to use Channel B for this.

My current notion is to use +1, -1 from Channel A on two conductors of my 4C cable to + on BK #1 and - on BK #2 ; then run a new jumper wire between the two BK's giving the INUKE an 8-ohm load.

Thanks for your recommendations.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
+1 and -1 on the speakon...yes

I would run the speakon cable to the center of the buttkickers then splice 2 lengths of speaker wire like 2 arms of a Y or T onto it going to each buttkicker. 1 long run from the amp, 2 short arms to the shakers.

Put both in parallel on one channel for 1000ish watts at 2ohms, all 3 of the +'s and all the -'s together, then use the power limiter in the dsp to dial the power down some.

Use the 2nd channel later for 2 more. DSP will let you do each pair/channel individually.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+1 and -1 on the speakon...yes

I would run the speakon cable to the center of the buttkickers then splice 2 lengths of speaker wire like 2 arms of a Y or T onto it going to each buttkicker. 1 long run from the amp, 2 short arms to the shakers.

Put both in parallel on one channel for 1000ish watts at 2ohms, all 3 of the +'s and all the -'s together, then use the power limiter in the dsp to dial the power down some.

Use the 2nd channel later for 2 more. DSP will let you do each pair/channel individually.
If that's the case, I can keep a single run of 4-conductor wire in place and wire it into the Speakon +1, -1, +2 and -2 for future use. I re-checked the cable length / ohms chart and it appears I'm good to ~30-ft with 12ga wire. I estimate my final distance around 35 ft.

Right now my 50 ft of 12ga is sitting on the floor; I've not run it in the wall or hidden it behind the baseboard just yet as this is a retrofit job. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night I attached two additional Buttkicker Advance units (thanks RobZ!) to the same channel of the INUKE and it worked well. I did each pair in series and then parallel for a 4-ohm load. I ended up leaving the gain at the same spot (about 3:00) and all four chairs were rocking just fine. My wife didn't seem to mind the vibrations in her chair, so I think I'll use the B channel for a DIY sub. :D

This also means I ran 4-conductor 12ga wire for nothing since I'm using a single pair to drive all 4 Buttkickers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts