AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan on getting 2 buttkicker mini lfe for my row of 2 recliners. HT design Somerset. These wil only fit with the buttkicker lfe minis. 1 per chair. I want to go wireless so planning on getting The Power Amplifier BKA300-4 Wireless. Have denon x6500h.

Question... Will these bottom out I’ve hearing about with this amp. Is there something I can do in my denon x6500h? Not sure if I can turn Audyssey off for the sub output #2 only as I’ve read shakers should have this turned off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I plan on getting 2 buttkicker mini lfe for my row of 2 recliners. HT design Somerset. These wil only fit with the buttkicker lfe minis. 1 per chair. I want to go wireless so planning on getting The Power Amplifier BKA300-4 Wireless. Have denon x6500h.

Question... Will these bottom out I’ve hearing about with this amp. Is there something I can do in my denon x6500h? Not sure if I can turn Audyssey off for the sub output #2 only as I’ve read shakers should have this turned off.
I have the previous Denon X6400H AVR with independent sub outs.

1) If you add a sub to sub 1 and a shaker to sub 2 then you will not be able to complete Audyssey as it will stall waiting for sound from sub 2 (shaker).

2) If you run Audyssey with just sub 1 and then add sub 2 to connect the shaker Audyssey will no longer be available as adding the 2nd sub has changed the speaker configuration.

You will need to use a Y splitter to connect the sub and shaker to sub 1.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1-Male-2-Female-RCA-Y-Adapter/dp/B01D5H8RE0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1TWD5IAS1Q1T1&dchild=1&keywords=rca+y+splitter+adapter+2+female+to+1+male&qid=1594295463&sprefix=RCA+Y+splitter,aps,339&sr=8-5

No knowledge about the LFE mini bottoming out with that amp, but that is usually a sign that the shaker amp volume is too high.

There is a way to connect a sub and shaker to the Denon and run Audyssey. See Post 3 by Dwander and a follow up Post 8, by me.:)

·
Registered
278 Posts

Question... Will these bottom out I’️ve hearing about with this amp. Is there something I can do in my denon x6500h? Not sure if I can turn Audyssey off for the sub output #2 only as I’️ve read shakers should have this turned off.
I’ve got 4 of them, and have run with them two different amps from a marantz Receiver. I did have them bottoming out at certain times. When I first got them I wanted to really feel it so I had them cranked. But after a while I started to realize it was better to have them more integrated with the rest of the lfe and not have them stand out as much. I find it to be a much better experience that way, and also no issues with bottoming out then.

With audyssey I would use them on sub out 2. I would have them on for the first point measurement bc I think that’s the only time it pings the subs separately. Then I would shut them off for the rest of the measurements. I’m not sure if that causes issues in the audyssey results but I never noticed anything. And it allows you to use its own output without having to disengage audyssey.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,403 Posts

Yes, if turned up loud these will bottom out and make that horrible sound.
Instead of those buttkickers grab the Earthquake MQB-1's on sale at amazon prime $135-ish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H3SV1E
Not only are they faster and more accurate but they also never bottom out making those noises. You can still use that same amp.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, if turned up loud these will bottom out and make that horrible sound.
Instead of those buttkickers grab the Earthquake MQB-1's on sale at amazon prime $135-ish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H3SV1E
Not only are they faster and more accurate but they also never bottom out making those noises. You can still use that same amp.
Apologiez if I am hijacking this thread. I didn't want to make a new one.

Marmon1 thank you for this recommendation. I didn't know about the Earthquake MQB-1s until you mentioned it. They seem to be more bang for your buck than Aura's and buttkicker mini. I am not convinced at all about that buttkicker mini.

Do you think this Crown XLS1002 would be enough to drive these Earthquake transducers? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011TI97VE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
or would I need more power?

Also is it better to connect to the Sub 2 from your AVR or do a Y split? Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve got 4 of them, and have run with them two different amps from a marantz Receiver. I did have them bottoming out at certain times. When I first got them I wanted to really feel it so I had them cranked. But after a while I started to realize it was better to have them more integrated with the rest of the lfe and not have them stand out as much. I find it to be a much better experience that way, and also no issues with bottoming out then.

With audyssey I would use them on sub out 2. I would have them on for the first point measurement bc I think that’s the only time it pings the subs separately. Then I would shut them off for the rest of the measurements. I’m not sure if that causes issues in the audyssey results but I never noticed anything. And it allows you to use its own output without having to disengage audyssey.

That will not work with his Denon X6500 as it has 2 independent sub outs. (see post 2 )

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’️ve got 4 of them, and have run with them two different amps from a marantz Receiver. I did have them bottoming out at certain times. When I first got them I wanted to really feel it so I had them cranked. But after a while I started to realize it was better to have them more integrated with the rest of the lfe and not have them stand out as much. I find it to be a much better experience that way, and also no issues with bottoming out then.

With audyssey I would use them on sub out 2. I would have them on for the first point measurement bc I think that’️s the only time it pings the subs separately. Then I would shut them off for the rest of the measurements. I’️m not sure if that causes issues in the audyssey results but I never noticed anything. And it allows you to use its own output without having to disengage audyssey.

That will not work with his Denon X6500 as it has 2 independent sub outs. (see post 2 )
You’ve confused me. I was explaining how I used to do it on my marantz 7011 which also had two independent sub outs. But maybe you misunderstood or I’m missing something. But that is how I used to do it and it allowed me to use sub out 2 solely for the buttkickers with Audyssey engaged.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You’ve confused me. I was explaining how I used to do it on my marantz 7011 which also had two independent sub outs. But maybe you misunderstood or I’m missing something. But that is how I used to do it and it allowed me to use sub out 2 solely for the buttkickers with Audyssey engaged.
The Marantz does have two independent sub outs so to satisfy my curiosity I connected the sub to sub 1 and the Buttkicker to sub two and ran Audyssey. It never picked up anything from sub two so went to subwoofer level matching. If I turned the Buttkicker amp up until it started to rattle I could get the level into the green. After the first pass I turned the Buttkicker amp down and completed Audyssey, just one mic position and three passes.

After it finished it sounded perfectly OK. It's good to learn something new. Good call thank you! :grin:.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Marantz does have two independent sub outs so to satisfy my curiosity I connected the sub to sub 1 and the Buttkicker to sub two and ran Audyssey. It never picked up anything from sub two so went to subwoofer level matching. If I turned the Buttkicker amp up until it started to rattle I could get the level into the green. After the first pass I turned the Buttkicker amp down and completed Audyssey, just one mic position and three passes.

After it finished it sounded perfectly OK. It's good to learn something new. Good call thank you! :grin:.
That’s exactly how I used to do it. Was never sure if audyssey had the correct distance on the buttkickers. For the most part it seemed good, but if there was bass heavy music in a movie scene then it would feel slightly off. I’m not sure if it’s even possible to make them perfectly aligned for everything in that regard so I just leave it as good enough.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That’s exactly how I used to do it. Was never sure if audyssey had the correct distance on the buttkickers. For the most part it seemed good, but if there was bass heavy music in a movie scene then it would feel slightly off. I’m not sure if it’s even possible to make them perfectly aligned for everything in that regard so I just leave it as good enough.
I've tried your method a few times. The first time it set the distance to 1.1 feet. The second time with the Audyssey app it got it totally wrong at 8.6 feet. The third time back with the AVR it set the distance to .1 feet, well I am sitting on it :).

The few bits I played it did not sound off but you can change the delay by altering the distance to see of you can get a better fit. My go to movie to check this is Avatar.

Near the beginning the shuttle craft leaves the main spaceship for Pandora and as it bursts through the clouds there is a sonic boom that comes through the Buttkicker. There is also bass from the subwoofer that should line up so I can alter the distance for the best fit. Same scene when the shuttle lands and Jake Sully has to move quickly in his wheelchair to avoid the walker bearing down on him. The thud of the footsteps should match what is on screen and also blend in with the bass.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,403 Posts
Apologiez if I am hijacking this thread. I didn't want to make a new one.

Marmon1 thank you for this recommendation. I didn't know about the Earthquake MQB-1s until you mentioned it. They seem to be more bang for your buck than Aura's and buttkicker mini. I am not convinced at all about that buttkicker mini.

Do you think this Crown XLS1002 would be enough to drive these Earthquake transducers? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011TI97VE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
or would I need more power?

Also is it better to connect to the Sub 2 from your AVR or do a Y split? Thanks for the help in advance
If your AVR actually has a sub2, I'd use that so that you can set separate volume and crossover points, assuming the AVR does that. Im personally not fond of the crown amps for subs. In my experience they're very weak on the low end. I ran my earthquakes off the buttkicker BKA1000 amp, which you can't buy (new) anymore. I have an iNuke 3000 DSP here also and was able to get good performance using that and some DSP settings that restored the bottom end. The iNuke 3000 DSP is no longer made but you can get an NX3000D which is basically the same thing from amazon. Depending on your receiver, you may need a cleanbox pro to bring up the levels if you use a pro amp. On my anthem output, I needed it for my iNuke amp.

There are probably other amps that would work fine. The earthquakes don't need a ton of power. You might be ok with https://thebuttkicker.com/bka-130-c/ even. Another ok option might be the Dayton 230 sub amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FKGUFK. With its knobs and dials on the back you can probably dial in some good action on those shakers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That’️s exactly how I used to do it. Was never sure if audyssey had the correct distance on the buttkickers. For the most part it seemed good, but if there was bass heavy music in a movie scene then it would feel slightly off. I’️m not sure if it’️s even possible to make them perfectly aligned for everything in that regard so I just leave it as good enough.
I've tried your method a few times. The first time it set the distance to 1.1 feet. The second time with the Audyssey app it got it totally wrong at 8.6 feet. The third time back with the AVR it set the distance to .1 feet, well I am sitting on it /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.

The few bits I played it did not sound off but you can change the delay by altering the distance to see of you can get a better fit. My go to movie to check this is Avatar.

Near the beginning the shuttle craft leaves the main spaceship for Pandora and as it bursts through the clouds there is a sonic boom that comes through the Buttkicker. There is also bass from the subwoofer that should line up so I can alter the distance for the best fit. Same scene when the shuttle lands and Jake Sully has to move quickly in his wheelchair to avoid the walker bearing down on him. The thud of the footsteps should match what is on screen and also blend in with the bass.
I would always check and adjust the sub1 distance by using measurements with REW software. So I was confident in that distance setting being correct as it corresponds to the front stage. The distance on the sub2 was always a little tricker for me. For the most part it was ok, I tried using specific scenes to get it aligned like you did but I found it wasn’t a universal setting and in some Instances would seem off. But like I said, for the most part it was fine.

In regards to the post about amps, I can’t speak to different bass shakers as I’ve only used BK lfe mini. Started with a pair of bka 130-c amps, and then switched to the crown you mentioned.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would always check and adjust the sub1 distance by using measurements with REW software. So I was confident in that distance setting being correct as it corresponds to the front stage. The distance on the sub2 was always a little tricker for me. For the most part it was ok, I tried using specific scenes to get it aligned like you did but I found it wasn’t a universal setting and in some Instances would seem off. But like I said, for the most part it was fine.

In regards to the post about amps, I can’t speak to different bass shakers as I’ve only used BK lfe mini. Started with a pair of bka 130-c amps, and then switched to the crown you mentioned.

Though I live in England I never mentioned anything about wearing a crown. :smile:
That was markmon1. I use a single Buttkicker LFE and their now unavailable BKA 1000-N amp, for about 8 years now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts