AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased 2 Buttkickers and 2 DCM1000 amps. I purchased some vibration isolators from W.W. Grainger to mount to the bottom of the platforms. Each platform is 4.5ft wide and 10 ft. long. Each platform has 3 levels that step up in 5" increments. I mounted 1 Buttkicker to the top side of each platform in the center section behind a seat.

WOW!! These things are fun. This definately adds a new dimension to watching movies. The first test was with Armagedon, it was incredable. I then watched The Haunting on HD satellite. Once again, awesome.

I want to take an opportunity to say thank you to the people at the Guitammer Company for their technical support. I had a lot of questions and they were wonderful to talk too. They are truly a company that believes in customer service. Thanks guys.

I am posting this because I have been debating for over a year now whether or not It would be that beneficial to install some kind of transducers. Know that it is all done, I wish I would have done it a long time ago.

For anybody that has been looking into this but is unshure, go for it, it adds a great realism to the movie watching experience.

My 2 cents.

DarrenW

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I installed a transducer a while ago, and I would agree that it is a great addition to any HT system. My favorite scene with it is the Castaway plan crash.

I think the key is to run the transducer through a sub cross-over with a fairly steep slope so that only very low frequencies are felt (you don't want your butt shaking just because someone is talking). It should only kick in on the serious LFE stuff.

Another trick is that I hooked it up to a seperate amp with its own remote volume control. I programmed my Pronto so that I can turn it off or adjust the volume depending on the program material.

I've noticed that when the transducer is on, people think the sound is much louder than when it is turned off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kevin,

I too am going to purchase a seperate sub cross-over. I think this will result in a much more punch effect. Without the added crossover, it is still awesome, but you do get some responses that I think would be better if they were un-detectable. I guess it would be more of a "surprise" if the units only kicked in at very low range.

These things are great. I had the same responses from people as you stated. With the buttkickers on they thought I cranked up the volume.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Congratulations,

I have been using tactile transducers in my system for several years. My first installation was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units. (ultra high performance Aura's) I used these for about a year and stepped up to a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F models and on to their Platinum models when they made their debut.

At that time I also installed a pair of Buttkicker units and a pair of Carvin DCM1000 amplifiers. The Clark's are exceptional units but when it comes to low frequency extension and output the BK is big time champion.

While testing I fed the BK unit a 10Hz sine wave and it produced it with severe authority! It is also extremely dynamic, quick and detailed.

The BK is so capable of producing low frequencies I use a pair of subharmonic synthesizers on their signal. An Audio Control PCA generates subharmonics 1 octave and a Behringer EX1200 generates subharmonics 2 octaves below the original. A Paradigm X-30 is used after each processor and then summed before feeding the power amplifiers.

I use the TT's to activate a queen size adjustable bed in my bedroom based theater.

I have constructed two 2'x4'x¾" platforms and fitted them with isolation feet from Kinetics Noise Control. One for each pair of bedframe legs. They are covered in thin non padded carpet for appearance. I used T-nuts on the underside for ease of BK top mounting.

John

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have just one Buttkicker and DCM 1000 combo. Which is attached to my two level platform that has kinetic isolators mounted to the bottom side.

This unit is definitely top shelf, an excellent product. The added dimension brings major excitement to any action seen. It also works will, when tuned correctly, with music.

I couldn't even imagine having two of these units.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,

Thanks for the info. What would you recommend for a sub crossover. I definetly think it is needed for my desired effect.

·
Registered
841 Posts
You could use an 50Hz 12 dB per octave passive inline FMOD filter. Stack the pair for a steeper slope.

I would suggest a Paradigm X-30 active unit. It utilizes a continuous adjustable lowpass 18dB per octave filter between 35-150Hz.

John

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Glad to hear the positive responses.

I got two of these BKs but they are not installed yet. I have one for each of my 2 platforms which are just big enough for the loveseat to sit on (4'x4'). Actually I have a platform within a platform suspended by 40ish springs. Inner platform sinks about 1/8" or so when you stand on 1 back corner. Me thinks the floating platform will allow for plenty of movement.

Picture of BK platform

I'm looking forward to having as much fun as you guys.

Scott Fauque

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks John,

I will give the X-30 a try. Now I just have to find where to purchase. Does anyone know where I can order online?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recently installed two buttkickers under the floor in my media room. For the most part the effect has been dramatic. One side benefit has been the effect on music. I often use my system for music listening. I find that the buttkickers augment the experience greatly. They provide just enough output to add to the feeling of being there.

The biggest problem is not with the buttkickers but with the content of over produced DVDs. For example the soundtrack on The Mummy Returns was really overblown and the buttkickers showed this very clearly. In fact, when I played this DVD I thought someone had fooled around with the Carvin's volume setting. I ended up turning down all the subwoofer bass. Typically, I don't need to do this on most DVDs.

The bottom line is that I now find it difficult to listen to music or soundtracks without the buttkickers; it seems like something is missing.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Are we talking about the original or the Buttkicker II Model? Thanks,

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Are we talking about the original or the Buttkicker II Model?
All my comments refer to the original BK.

Quote:
The bottom line is that I now find it difficult to listen to music or soundtracks without the buttkickers; it seems like something is missing.
This is my experience also since I started using TT's to enhance my system several years ago.

- May the tactile force be with you -

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damon,

I have been referencing the Original BK units. The BKII were not available yet when I purchased these. From what I gather the units will perform very much the same. The biggest difference is in the physical size. Since size was of no issue to me, I didnt see any reason to wait for the distributors to get their new stock.

I was really concerned whether or not one unit per platform would be enough. Ha Ha! I am only using them at about 1/2 power. In addition, I have actually turned down my 2 15" powered subs. Although the BK units do not actually put out sound, the effect is quite strong. Amazing how the human body processes these sences.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well I too was "on the fence" for over a year but today I placed my order for the Buttkicker 2 and the 2000 watt amp. Once they arrive, I will head over to Rat Shack for the $60.00 RCA SA-155 (integrated amp necessary to boost the AV receivers LFE signal to drive the Carvin 2000 watt amp) and the RCA to XLR connectors (again necessary in order to connect the SA-155 to the Carvin). Although it sounds complicated, and I must admit, it caused me to postpone my purchase, the connection is not going to be all that difficult. The Buttkicker's web site is better at explaining it and Marvin the technical expert helped by walking me through it. I will wait to see if I need a crossover. I found the Paradigm x-30 for $100.00 at Brant Stereo in Brantford Ontario. Ask for Mike, I think he will ship it to you 519-752-1783. Grainger was an excellent recommendation for the isolators. I ordered them today also. My intentions are ultimately to buy an SVS Ultra sub and split the 2000 watt amp to drive it simultaniously with the Buttkicker 2. So far everyone I have spoken with indicates this will work. Soon to have a whole lota shaken going on, Randy

·
Registered
476 Posts
Darren,

I ordered my Paradigm X-30 from a local upper-end audio retailer selling Paradigm products. I called them up and asked them to ship it directly to me - as easy as ordering over the Internet.

The X-30 has made a significant improvement by limiting the low end bass signal that the Carvin/BK processes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will be ordering my X-30 today.

Randy, the connections and set up is very basic. And Marvin is great for tech support. You are going to love the BK units. Everyones taste is a little different, however for my installation and taste I feel that the crossover is a must.

John, I would assume that the X-30 in lieu of the fmod is a much better way to go? Or does the fmod filter out enough? I see that the fmod is a 50hz 12db per octive filter and stackable. Do you find the flexability of the x-30 to be benificial?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
Do you find the flexability of the x-30 to be benificial?
Yes, it will allow you to tailor the tactile sensation to your preference.

John

·
Registered
476 Posts
Darren,

Just to add to whatever John may offer up, the X-30 is a variable crossover and can provide other options for you.

For example, in my theater setup, I set the X-30 crossover to 35Hz when watching movies, and around 80Hz when sitting and listening to music.

The X-30 was a valuable addition to the theater setup - you'll love it...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
For example, in my theater setup, I set the X-30 crossover to 35Hz when watching movies, and around 80Hz when sitting and listening to music.
Good point Keith!

Darren,

You will also be able to turn the input gains to maximum on the DCM1000's and control the amplitude of both simultaneously with the X-30's volume gain adjustment.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.