AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a berkline with 4 seats and 4 buttkickers. I was thinking of removing the buttkickers and mounting them to the floor underneaht the seating. that way all the wiring is in the floor and if we change the furniture in the future, the buttkickers are all set.

anyone do this and is the effect damped by mounting to the floor?

our room is a family room over a garage, so the floor is wood framed. the couch sits on a carpet and pad.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I mean I guess it could work, but you are asking them to effectively shake the entire structure.

If it did work at all I am doubting it would be anywhere near the desired effect.

I would build a small platform and mount them to that.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I had two Buttkickers mounted to the floor joists of my living room. They were both connected to one amplifier. I bolted each leg of a Buttkicker to a 2x8" and then mounted the 2x8's between the floor joists. I could completely shake the whole room. My house was built in 1890 with full dimensional lumber (looks like oak) so it is extremely strong. It is amazing how much power the Buttkickers have.

The best effect was felt when you sat immediately over or slightly behind the Buttkicker. Having your feet on the floor over the Buttkicker gave the best tactile feedback. I recently sold one of the Buttkickers to fund a subwoofer upgrade.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm...what to do.

we currently have a berkline theater sofa with power recliners. we almost always recline when watching TV/Movies, thus i doubt we would get the feet on the floor effect.

I am gonna assume that a solid board would transfer the vibration better than plywood that is multilayered, multidirectional, softer wood, and glue. if i were to take a 1x8 oak board and install it as the subfloor, in the location that the back feet of the couch would sit on, i wonder if that would maximize the effect

on the other hand, it might just be easier to do in floor wiring from below since it is accessible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts