AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordering new theater chairs and cannot decide whether to have buttkickers installed or not. Anyone have them and feel they're not great? If you have them, would you buy them again or just go with good subs.

·
Registered
658 Posts
C) All of the above.

Buttkickers are inexpensive enough to have great subs and kickers too.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22191290

Both. Nice subs and a properly setup buttkicker go very well together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDUpstate  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22191274

C) All of the above.

Buttkickers are inexpensive enough to have great subs and kickers too.

+1

Ray

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22191666

Anyone tried putting a cheap subwoofer just behind the seat as "butt kicker"?

I don't think that would work. The appeal of the butt kicker is its ultra low frequency response - down to the single digits in Hz. Most "cheap subs" don't go much below 35 Hz and wouldn't provide any "kick" at all.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
If your subwoofer(s) is doing it's job, you shouldn't need buttkickers!

·
Premium Member
12,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22195560

Actually, Bill, I use a pair of Crowson Tactile Actuators with my 3 Submersive HP's. The actuators provide an experience that the subs cannot. My HT is in my basement on a concrete floor. The SubM's can't shake the floor. I built a riser and added the Crowson's, and I now have all the shaking I could ever want.

I have written a description of the system and installation in my thread linked in my signature. Here is the description: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1349395/craig-johns-theater/90#post_21096088 In previous and subsequent posts, I showed pic's of the system, riser and chairs.

Bottom line, if you're on a concrete floor, or if you don't get good tactile response, a tactile transducer such as the Buttkickers or Crowsons, can add a unique experience to your system.

Craig

·
Registered
16,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22195560

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22195619

Actually, Bill, I use a pair of Crowson Tactile Actuators with my 3 Submersive HP's. The actuators provide an experience that the subs cannot. My HT is in my basement on a concrete floor. The SubM's can't shake the floor. I built a riser and added the Crowson's, and I now have all the shaking I could ever want.

I have written a description of the system and installation in my thread linked in my signature. Here is the description: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1349395/craig-johns-theater/90#post_21096088 In previous and subsequent posts, I showed pic's of the system, riser and chairs.

Bottom line, if you're on a concrete floor, or if you don't get good tactile response, a tactile transducer such as the Buttkickers or Crowsons, can add a unique experience to your system.

Craig

Agreed. I am also on carpet over concrete and my dual BKs attached to a mini riser which my couch sits on noticeably enhance the experience over just my 4 SVS subs (3 PB13s and a 12/2).

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22197950

Agreed. I am also on carpet over concrete and my dual BKs attached to a mini riser which my couch sits on noticeably enhance the experience over just my 4 SVS subs (3 PB13s and a 12/2).

Sorry guys, I was refering to a non concreate floor. I'm on a wood floor so I feel everything that the Submersives put out.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22197950

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2  /t/1418767/buttkickers-or-not-cant-decide#post_22198332

Sorry guys, I was refering to a non concreate floor. I'm on a wood floor so I feel everything that the Submersives put out.

+1

I had a single PB12/2 on wood floor and that thing was kicking:eek:

Then move to my first house, a split level and the theater is on carpet over concrete and all the tactile was gone:mad:

Add a second PB12/2 but it sound better but did not resolve the tactile problem:rolleyes:

Change my to 2 12/2 for 2 Ultra13 and still not resolve my problem
again.

Then I added a couple Butt kicker with 300 watts each and voila:)

I wish I could add the 2 PB12/2 but I do not have the room.

If any members of this forum is willing to drive to Cold Lake Alberta, they are for sell at a good price and in good shape with the 12.3 version for the driver.

Just send me a PM, I check mostly in the week-end.

Moderator, If my last is breaking some rules, feel free to remove.

Back to topic, I LOVE my Butt Kicker they enhance the viewing experience.

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts