AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to build riser----

What do I run to the riser for buttkickers? Just speaker cable?

A pair for each of the 4 seats?

thx!

F&R

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So it really depends on how you want to drive them. Most of the ButtKicker transducers are 4 ohm load. This is typically a good impedance for most amplifiers. Therefore you could wire each row as a parallel connection of dual series (4+4) || (4+4) = 4 ohms.

Unless you want individual control of each seat (which implies additional amps) I would run a 12 AWG speaker wire to each row and then drive each row from its own amplifier. Buttkicker offer an amp that can drive up to 4 kickers or you could use something like a Berhingher EP4000 amp (like I did). Note the EP4000 has two channels so you could control each row separately. Unlike the Buttkicker amp it doesn't have a LPF, so you might want to add this separately.

With a big enough amp you could also wire the two 4 ohm loads (from each row) in series and drive as a single 8 ohm load (8 kickers together).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect, and thanks!

Last question-promise

Can i run 14 gauge? thats the roll i have been using for everything else, and have a bunch left-----

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm sure 14 gauge is fine so long as the length isn't excessive (Buttkicker suggest 14 gauge). Less than 50' and I wouldn't worry. Somewhere, perhaps it was on the bluejeans cable site I remember reading about maximum cable lengths vs. gauge....

So are you documenting your build? ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie
So are you documenting your build? ;-)
I guess I will start one, since Im going to have questions. might as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts