AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home theater set-up is in my basement. The room is a 2,673 cubic foot L-shaped room. I've been reading threads on here for the past few days and narrowed my choices to a Lava Sub (10 or 12) or the BIC PL-200. One thing I've noticed in these forums is the suggestion of using two subs to balance out the sound. I could buy two Lava 10" subs right now or I could buy one of either the Lava 12" or BIC PL-200 and add the second one in the future (probably in the next 6 months or so) Please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Considering the Lava sale, 2 of their 10" subs for $399, and a 30-day return policy, seems like a good route. Two subs flanking the seating area will help the punch and smooth out the bass response better than a single sub of any quality. But a lot depends on your personal requirements and tastes, and we can't help much there.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towski /forum/post/0

I'm definitely going to add two subs at one point. The question is do I go for the two 10" subs now or should I buy one 12" sub now and wait until I can buy another?

While they might not reach as low as a single 12 the two 10s will be as loud or slightly louder that single 12.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My room size is a little bigger than I first stated. The L shape of the room is because the laundry room is a separate room but the walkway into that room is open; no door. At first, I didn't count that room because I didn't think it would matter but reading information on here has made me think otherwise. With that room included, the room is 3,489.75 cubic feet.

This is probably a stupid question but I'm a noob, do I still count the whole size of the room even though my speaker set-up is only in a 12x11 area? Does the fact that my speaker set-up isn't spread throughout the room change anything?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You would count the attached area as the bass will go there as well and not be contained. It depends on how low you want to go and how loud you want it to be. I vote for one 12 now and add another later. If you go through the lava thread you will find you can get a 15% avs discount through lava and I believe if the 12 is still on backorder 20% on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19650202

You would count the attached area as the bass will go there as well and not be contained. It depends on how low you want to go and how loud you want it to be. I vote for one 12 now and add another later. If you go through the lava thread you will find you can get a 15% avs discount through lava and I believe if the 12 is still on backorder 20% on it.

Thanks for the help. So if I was to put a door instead of having it be open, would that improve the sound in the room? or would the only difference be I'd just need less power?

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towski /forum/post/19650230

Thanks for the help. So if I was to put a door instead of having it be open, would that improve the sound in the room? or would the only difference be I'd just need less power?

It would help contain it and perhaps make a smaller sub more powerful, but it really wouldn't improve sound quality, just output (for the most part, anyway). I agree with some of the other comments - I think a 12 now and then add it if you aren't getting even response in the room. A second sub adds a bit more power, but it's really more about evening out room response and getting rid of nulls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff69 /forum/post/19650354

It would help contain it and perhaps make a smaller sub more powerful, but it really wouldn't improve sound quality, just output (for the most part, anyway). I agree with some of the other comments - I think a 12 now and then add it if you aren't getting even response in the room. A second sub adds a bit more power, but it's really more about evening out room response and getting rid of nulls.

Thanks. I think 12" might be the safest choice for me. If it's too loud for my room, I can always turn it down whereas if it the other one isn't loud enough, I'm out of luck. I just bought a new receiver a couple weeks ago and one thing I believe I learned when researching that is having too much power is always better than not having enough power.

So if I go with a 12", what are the differences between the PL-200 and LSP12? Just looking at the specs on the two websites, they look pretty similar. But I might not be interpreting the specs correctly anyways. The opinions I've read seem to favor the LSP12 but I'm not too sure if that is just a matter of personal preference or if there is a technical reason for the LSP12 being superior. Lots of posts I've been reading through and lots of information being discussed that I'm not too familiar with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add what kind of listening I'll be doing with it; 90% movies/tv/games and 10% music. I don't know if that makes a difference. Are the ones I'm looking at good for what I listen to? or would I want to look at other subs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would two LSP12's or PL200's compare to one VTF-2 MK3? I've read great things about HSU subs and am thinking that maybe instead of paying close to $600 on two good budget subs, I should buy one nice sub. What would be the biggest differences between the HSU and the other two models? Just looking at the specs online, the amp power looks to be the same on all three. The only difference I notice is that the HSU goes lower.

I'm curious about how much benefit I would get from a sub that goes lower. Is the 4hz difference significant? Does this mean there would be sounds I would be able to hear with the HSU that I wouldn't with the others? Or it just can handle those lower frequencies easier?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't have any experience with Lava subs, but they have a good following here and several with nicer subwoofers have been happy with performance. It depends on what your goals are. If it is reference levels that calls for 115db bass at the listening position.

Say you have one sub that play 100db at 30 hz.

If you place two of those subs together = ~6db increase 106 db

spread those two subs out, get more even room response and help smooth out peaks and nulls in room = ~3db increase 103db.

Say you have one sub that plays 110db at 30hz.

It will take 4 100db subs spread out to play ~109db

The problem with getting duals to start with, if you aren't satisfied with output or want lower bass, you pretty much have to start over.

Ported subs fall off after tuning, say 25hz tune, you won't here much output of frequencies very far below that. What you need to decide, how low do I want to go, how loud do I want it to be, do I want smooth frequency response from the get go. These are your decisions. The Lava 12, Bic pl-200, seem to be good subs for the price. I have a HSU product and love it, and will be adding another later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19652485

I don't have any experience with Lava subs, but they have a good following here and several with nicer subwoofers have been happy with performance. It depends on what your goals are. If it is reference levels that calls for 115db bass at the listening position.

Say you have one sub that play 100db at 30 hz.

If you place two of those subs together = ~6db increase 106 db

spread those two subs out, get more even room response and help smooth out peaks and nulls in room = ~3db increase 103db.

Say you have one sub that plays 110db at 30hz.

It will take 4 100db subs spread out to play ~109db

The problem with getting duals to start with, if you aren't satisfied with output or want lower bass, you pretty much have to start over.

Ported subs fall off after tuning, say 25hz tune, you won't here much output of frequencies very far below that. What you need to decide, how low do I want to go, how loud do I want it to be, do I want smooth frequency response from the get go. These are your decisions. The Lava 12, Bic pl-200, seem to be good subs for the price. I have a HSU product and love it, and will be adding another later.

Thanks Luke. So maybe the best idea for me is to purchase a single to begin with and make sure I like it before I add the second one? What HSU sub do you have? How good of a job does it do alone? I'm really tempted to get the HSU sub but buying that means I'm probably stuck with one sub. If I decided I needed to add a second, my options would be severely limited. Whereas if I purchase either the Lava or BIC, I can most definitely add a second of those in the near future.

Would the HSU sub alone be better than two Lava or BIC's? I know it can go lower than the other two but would I be missing out on much by not having that ability to go lower? Since I don't know much about this stuff, I'm just not sure what sacrifices you'd want to or not want to make when money is an issue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You have the exact question I have, so I'm adding my subscription so I can be notified of more valuable information.

Considering:

2 lava LSP-10's

1 Bic PL-200 (could add a 2nd)

1 HSU VTF-2 MK 3 (I called HSU and this is what they recommended -- but this would lock me into this single sub for a long time which could be fine???)

Also I like the HSU VTF's ability to be variable (though I don't understand completely how you open/close the rear port) for HT vs Music listening.

Room size: 2400 cuft

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Go for the VTF2. It will have higher quality bass, not to mention much deeper bass and likely more output than even two lesser subs. The only advantage two subs would have is a more even spread of bass throughout the room. I normally recommend two subs over one, but not at these respective performance levels, the VTF2 is just too far ahead of these others.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.