AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading my current receiver now and am trying to determine if I should buy a 7.1 surround receiver now or wait for more receivers to come out with DPLIIx. My budget is $1000 and I've not heard of any new of receivers coming out in that price range in the near future. How much better is DPLIIX in a 7.1 surround system than DPLII? Is it worth waiting until the fall if I have to?

·
Registered
565 Posts
PLIIx is supposed to use more sophisticated steering than PLII.

eelpout: Yes, the 2 I know of are Harmans Logic7 & RotelXS has a 6.1 and/or 7.1 channel auto matrix from 5.1 (including PLII)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Any reciever or pre-pro that does THX Ultra 2 should also do a 7.1 matrix as well. Doesn't Ultra 2 specifiy adaptive correlation for rear surrounds, even on stereo signals? My favorite is AnthemLogic, great 7.1 processing for 2 channel sources. I have heard much good about Logic 7 as well.

If you are upgrading, try to find software upgradeable if you can. Pieces like the new Marantz 7400 have a serial port connection to upload new software as it becomes available, and it wont break the bank compared to some other models with similar capability.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought DPLII only works up to a 5.1 configuration. And DPLIIx goes to 7.1 like L7? However, Dolby Labs say there is no improvement between the two when still using a 5.1 system setup.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Yamaha RX-V2400 is a 7.1 surround receiver, is THX certified, and has DPLIIx. MSRP is $1,000.00 but you can find it much cheaper online. I got one of the first generation 2400's in late October (I believe) and it only had DPLII. I sent my unit in for the upgrade to DPLIIx. Man, what a difference. The receiver has plenty of DPS modes, but I find myself in DPLIIx mode most of the time now. It makes great use of the back and side surrounds, really filling the rear nicely.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you have a receiver with DTS-ES, you can use the DTS NEO:6 to matrix a 2-channel signal to 6.1 surround. You'd need DPLIIx to get true 7.1, though.

DTS NEO:6 information is available at the DTS website ( dtstech.com ).

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
DB1 wrote:

>>I thought DPLII only works up to a 5.1 configuration. And DPLIIx goes to 7.1 like L7? However, Dolby Labs say there is no improvement between the two when still using a 5.1 system setup.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi

FWIW, I have an already upgraded Denon 5800 which runs 9 speakers at times in 1 zone. Part of the last upgrade was DPL II which was added on to an existing DTS Neo 6. The 2ch sources including those that I watch on tv as we slowly but surley make the transition to High Definition are dwindeling.

I have already embraced both HIREZ music formats although until the remainder of my library goes in that direction I will play cd's upsampled to 88.2 and possibly dsp'd.

All of this to say that for my listening needs, even if Denon offers the next upgrade to DPL IIx for free, unless it can be done through a disc or sftwre dnld, its not important enough to me to unplugg everything and send my unit to Denon. It's up to each of us to decide how quickly the musical planet is spinning for them.

While I ponder these thing I also ask myself what (in 2004) recievers need 8 s/vid in/outputs for.

Peter m.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Where on the earth I can check if the Yamaha 2400 I would buy already have the DPL IIx? The majority of the sites publishes the V2400 specs without mention the DPL IIx feature...

Luck

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by luck
Where on the earth I can check if the Yamaha 2400 I would buy already have the DPL IIx? The majority of the sites publishes the V2400 specs without mention the DPL IIx feature...

Luck
Well I can tell you the 2400 I bought this past week has Pro LogicIIx printed on the outside of the box under the THX, Dolby, Digital EX etc on two different sides of the box. So it WILL be visible on the outside of the box...if that helps you. :)

·
Registered
31,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xb1032
How much better is DPLIIX in a 7.1 surround system than DPLII? Is it worth waiting until the fall if I have to?
PLIIx is worth it, not because the logic steering is better than PLII but because the processing is expaded to 7 channels. You'll notice the difference more with movies than music: whether you're listening to 2-channel or 5.1 channel material, sounds from the sides will image at your sides and sounds intended to come from the rear of the room will image behind you. You can move around the listening area and those sounds will still maintain their direction because there are actual speakers at those locations. This sort of precise and stable side vs rear imaging is simply not possible when listening in a 5.1-speaker set-up, where having only 2 surround speakers means you rely much more on phantom imaging. That's the only extent to which I'd be willing to call PLIIx "better" than PLII: 7 channels is a noticeable improvement over 5.

Is it worth waiting (even until fall) to find an affordable receiver with PLIIx? I would.

Best,

Sanjay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.