AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why has the E86 been disco'd? Is there a new Hughes model coming? I have a DD Hughes and love it. I bought it rather than the Sony DD model becuase I had read about all of the audio drops.

The SAT receiver will be connected to a Mits411, so I don't have any cares about DVI. Basically, I will be pulling in OTA signals 1st, then later replacing my old dish with a triple LNB.

Basically, any opinions on the differences in the E86 and the HD 200?

TIA

TPM

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I went the E86 route myself and got it from my local Best Buy. At $499.99 plus tax, it was slightly better price than any deal I found online when you factored in S&H vs. state and local sales tax, plus if I had had a problem it was no big deal to return it to the store.

I hooked the E86 to a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna and to my old round Directv dish at first. To my surprise I was able to get HBO HD this way (Directv has temporarily moved HBO HD to SAT A). I only got the oval dish hooked up a couple weeks ago. It works great. It has most of the features I wanted in a STB the sound and picture are great with my entertainment system in both HD and SD modes, the program guide is fast and easy to use. It's a great value.

I almost bought a Sony SAT-HD200, but opted for the E86 for a couple reasons...the RPTV I bought in July didn't have DVI, so I decided I didn't need an STB with DVI...the E86 has an IR blaster to control my vcr and Sony eliminated this feature from the HD200...the E86 has an UHF/RF remote control so I can control the STB even when I am watching it on a tv in another room and Sony dropped this feature from the HD200.

My one major complaint with the E86 is that it shuts off the s-video and a/v connections when you are in HD mode so you can't watch something in HD and record it in SD on your vcr. And, you have to remember to switch the E86 back to SD mode if you have a program scheduled to be recorded or you get a black screen and audio only on your video tape. But, that's a fairly minor complaint considering the HD200 was $799 when I bought my E86 for $499 and without an IR Blaster on the HD200 you would have to program both the STB and vcr whenever you want to tape something. I've worked around this by hooking up my old STB (a Sony SAT-A2) and using it as the main source for the vcr. It costs and extra $4.99 per month with the Directv charge for the 2nd STB, but I can watch one show and tape another and I don't have to always switch the E86 back to SD mode.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash_Corrigan

so I decided I didn't need an STB with DVI...the E86 has an IR blaster to control my vcr and Sony eliminated this feature from the HD200...the E86 has an UHF/RF remote control so I can control the STB even when I am watching it on a tv in another room and Sony dropped this feature from the HD200.

I've worked around this by hooking up my old STB (a Sony SAT-A2) and using it as the main source for the vcr. It costs and extra $4.99 per month with the Directv charge for the 2nd STB, but I can watch one show and tape another and I don't have to always switch the E86 back to SD mode.
Thanks for the reply! I have a sony Sat A55 hooked up just for my tivo also. The IR blaster with my current Hughes Platinum is in use a great deal also.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I had the E86 and upgraded to the HD200 (well worth it for me). OTA reception appears to be about the same. With rabbit ears all of my stations are on the fringe and both units perform the same (HD200 may be a little better).

I did like the menus better on the E86 (especially favorites). Overall the HD200 offer a lot more flexibility with aspect ratios, output connections, and a better image.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Samsung SIR-T160 is a next gen box, plain and simple. It puts out less heat, has different features, etc. It needs a firmware upgrade for a nasty bug or two that may or may not affect you (should be out very soon), but at that point hopefully there is no question which is the better box for most people. I'm sure there is a meaningful feature or two the E86 might have that the SIR-TS160 or the HD200 doesn't have, but the reverse should be true to a much greater extent for most.

I guess I think it is a little silly to keep comparing old boxes vs. new. Always a new thread floating around x vs. y. Unless all you are interested in is price, or are very paranoid about a couple glitches not getting fixed (has every problem with the E86 been fixed--I don't think so, and I bet there isn't any meaningful development still going on on that box), not worth messing with the old.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Quote:
(has every problem with the E86 been fixed--I don't think so, and I bet there isn't any meaningful development still going on on that box),
What problems would that be? In the six months I used mine I didn't have any.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles R
What problems would that be? In the six months I used mine I didn't have any.
I don't have the unit and I don't remember what issues I've read about with this unit. It doesn't do simultaneous 480i--that is enough of a deal killer for me as is to have ever seriously considered it, although I guess in the sad state of DirecTV HD STB's it would have been my 2nd or 3rd choice. The point is the model is discontinued, whereas fixes are still being developed for the new boxes. FWIW.

Why did you upgrade? Just to have latest and newest--the things you list seem to be minor if you had a box with no problems? If there was a problem free DirecTV HD STB it sure isn't getting rave reviews as such here.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Actually all the reviews I read (on-line here) before purchasing the E86 were very good... that is why I purchased it. Later on I upgraded for several reasons. The greatest of them being the RGBHV output as my new JVC DLA-G150CLZ projector has only one component input (used for DVD).

I can't say I got a lot of bang for the buck (outside of RGBHV) and of course with the PSIP issue my HD200 loves to reboot which was never an issue with the E86.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So can anyone confirm for me that the HD200 will output 480i(s-video) and 1080i (component) simultaneously? I was under the impression that the samsung was the only unit to do this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamson8
So can anyone confirm for me that the HD200 will output 480i(s-video) and 1080i (component) simultaneously? I was under the impression that the samsung was the only unit to do this?
At this time, the Samsung is the only box on the market that does this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.