AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was considering getting the Panny 50U or the Pio 614MX, but within the last few days I have ruled out getting a 50" plasma as an upgrade to my 46" ED plasma (for many reasons). Anyhow, for me, it only comes down to 2 choices, the Pio 61" 614MX or the Panny 65" 7UY, ( I can now almost afford the Panny).

Here are my main concerns.

A: The Panny 65" and Pioneer 61" will have new versions coming out very soon,,,WHEN,,, should I wait,, or buy now ?,,Will the new versions be priced lower or be that much better to justify the wait ?

B: My seating distance is 9 feet, would the Panny 65" be overkill ?

C: The Pio 614MX does not have HDMI, how bad will that hurt me next year ?

D: I have NEVER seen these plasma's in person, but while I have seen the 61" Pio Elite and more than a few 50" Panny's, (including the 50U that I almost bought a few days ago) I don't know which plasma has the best picture, the 614MX or the Panny 65" 7UY ?

Yesterday I almost called V.Apex or TVA to order the 614MX sight unseen, but I stopped and decided to post these questions before making the call.

Any help would be great.

Thanks much

Davyo

·
Vendor
31,402 Posts
More than likely the new models will cover the basics...better contrast, deeper blacks, and other fine tweaking. The wait may be worth it.

Even the 61" might be overkill...it will take some getting used to at 9ft.

The 61" does have DVI so you can get a DVI to HDMI cord and run any HDMI product.

Well if you have seen a Pioneer Consumer PDP-5040HD it will look just like that or very close. The Elite has different scalers to enhance the PQ, so it will not look quite as good. The Panasonic will look like all the rest, Excellent. You want to think of last years store models seeing that actually these units you are looking at are last years generation on both brands.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma
...Well if you have seen a Pioneer Consumer PDP-5040HD it will look just like that or very close. ...
I thought I read that the 614MX is a rebadged NEC, whereas the 5040HD is Pioneer own product? So couldn't they be quite different?

Just curious,

John Flegert

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The most important question to answer is this imho: Rogo, (Mark), has mentioned multiple times that Pioneer will be first to market with a 1080p plasma, based on the 61" that you're looking at, early '06 I believe. THAT is making me wait before upgrading.

Bish

·
Vendor
31,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflegert
I thought I read that the 614MX is a rebadged NEC, whereas the 5040HD is Pioneer own product? So couldn't they be quite different?

John Flegert
Yes that is a rebadge...I quess I was thinking again. Figured that if he has not had access to the 61" Pioneer or the 65" Panasonic what would be the odds of seeing the 61" NEC. Thought the 5040 would be a close bet as far a PQ.

They will be releasing the PDP-6100HD "Consumer" Pioneer real soon. Might want to look into that product. That is not a rebadge in any sort.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
The most important question to answer is this imho: Rogo, (Mark), has mentioned multiple times that Pioneer will be first to market with a 1080p plasma, based on the 61" that you're looking at, early '06 I believe. THAT is making me wait before upgrading.

Bish
I am hoping they can talk about the 1080p 61 inch model at CEDIA. If not, they ought to be demo-ing it by CES.

The "next generation" plasma stuff they've devised allows for smaller, brighter (and darker) cells and is slated to take the 61 (and I believe the 50 at some point later) to 1080p.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
I am hoping they can talk about the 1080p 61 inch model at CEDIA. If not, they ought to be demo-ing it by CES.

The "next generation" plasma stuff they've devised allows for smaller, brighter (and darker) cells and is slated to take the 61 (and I believe the 50 at some point later) to 1080p.
Mark,

Have you heard any details on the Panasonic 1080p panel technology, re "smaller, brighter pixels" or otherwise?

I love the current 65" model, but a newer 65", true 1080 is an even more tempting proposition.

Also, in comparing the large-size plasmas (61" + ) I've found every inch counts. I actually notice the size difference between the 65" and 61" inch plasmas. 65" seems to tip the scale into "whoa, that's cinema-sized" territory, at least for plasmas. (Whereas with projection it seems to happen a + 80" for me).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Rich, I'm not sure what Panasonic is going to say. I did get tipped off last year -- and posted here -- that the very first 65 was nearly 1920 x 1080. I suspect we'll see similar fill factor to now and similar brightness.

Perhaps more will leak out at CEDIA next month.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Thanks Mark. One more thing: Do you expect Panasonic will be charging a premium (substantial or otherwise) for the new "full HD" versions? As you know, each generation of Panasonic plasma has come in a little under the price of the previous gen. But do you figure the increase in resolution won't be merely considered "next gen" but some sort of separate, premium product for which they will charge more?

Thanks,

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I haven't gotten a clear answer on this, so let me posit the following:

The 60+ inch sets from Pioneer and Panasonic will move to 1920 x 1080 and not look back. The others will go away. Samsung will follow suit and that brings Fujitsu with them (supplier relationship). Assuming LG is also not far from achieving this goal, they, too, join the party.

At 50 inches, things get a little more ambiguous. The DLP market has already established the "bifurcation" or "SKU proliferation" with 1080p and 720p at 50 inches. The reality is that you can see Pioneer and Panasonic already seeking enhanced margins through very slightly different sets (50 vs. 500, regular Pioneer vs. Elite). For a time, I expect the 50s -- which are further down the pike anyway -- to command a premium for 1080p.

That's what I expect right now. I'll continue seeking more and better info and will share it if I learn anything that can be repeated (the best kind of info :)).

Anyway, I don't know if I addressed the OP at all, but this is the rare time to say, "Wait!" At least wait a month. The Pioneer 614 and Panasonic 65-inch 7UY will be available in Sept. at or below current prices. We may well know a lot more about their successors by then.

Oh, and Rich, I agree that 65 is a lot bigger than 61. That's one reason I'd been eyeing the 65-inch Sharp as a Panasonic competitor (for the Rogo Living Room). But if the Pioneer delivers on the promise of super blacks and loses none of the other Pioneer goodness, it might be spectacular, too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma
Yes that is a rebadge...I quess I was thinking again. Figured that if he has not had access to the 61" Pioneer or the 65" Panasonic what would be the odds of seeing the 61" NEC. Thought the 5040 would be a close bet as far a PQ.

They will be releasing the PDP-6100HD "Consumer" Pioneer real soon. Might want to look into that product. That is not a rebadge in any sort.
Can you expand on details of the 6100? You seem confident that it isn't a rebadge, I'd just like to read the specs myself.

I'm leaning toward it insetad of the 614, but details are non existent other than the press releas which states it is 'based on old panel technology'. I'd like a look at the owners manual, just like I can on the 614, but alas, the 6100 isn't on Pioneers web site.

I mostly want to confirm I can drive it with my HTPC at WXGA over HDMI and have it dot for dot like the 614 docs claim. Any additional enhancements would be nice as well of course.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Pioneer made it clear in the earlier material / press report that the 61 inch is not using the new technology that allows for deeper blacks and higher CR. Sometime next year, I believe was what was said. Check the other thread.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
The Pioneer PDP6100HD is available NOW. Pioneer told me that it's essentially a Pioneer Elite PRO-1410HD with some cosmetic differences and a shorter warranty.

Eric

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Back to the original question. A: You can always wait, 99% of the time it's the

best choice. Why? Prices have been declining every year, and the technology

has gotten better.

I suspect the real question should be,

1: "Am I happy with the price performance I would be getting today?"

2: "Would there be such a difference in performance from what I have

today as compared to what I could buy in the next 6 months?"

There's a lot of hype around 1080p, but I find this hype close to moot. I don't think

the picture improves 2x, especially at the sub 45 inch range. Additionally, I don't think it's worth the premium. The one exception being the 37 inch monitors, but

at this size the extra pixels are only good for gaming. Of course this doesn't even address the issue of "Does the panel accept 1080p?" You'd think that's a no brainer but appparently just because it can display 1080p doesn't necessarily mean it will accept a true 1080p signal. We won't know until someone tries.

If you have something you're happy with now, why not wait? If you really want something you have to ask yourself the questions above. If the picture of the new set isn't as good as you hope for why buy it? If new technology will be better but not appreciably why worry and wait for it?

In the end, I think CR and color accuracy will win the day. I've seen several sets next to each other and the ones I prefer are the ones with the best CR over

pixel count. Eventhough the set with the better CR has a lower pixel count, I can better see the detail on the picture. This is what has ultimately kept me from buying and sticking to my trusty CRT projector. Thought, I can't wait to be able to watch HD during the day :(

Answer to B: I think no. :) It will take some getting used to, but it will just be more cinematic. I watch 96 inch screen from 12 feet away and now I'm wondering if it's too small.

Mike

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Even if you decide not to wait, you should at least wait 2 weeks, cause Panasonic is said to drop prices noticably on August, 28th. I think saving something like 20% is worth waiting a fortnight, isn't it?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks guys, I tend to believe the 6100 is essentially the 1410, but I just wanted some harder proof. In this thread we have clear opinions on both sides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.