AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've all but decided on the Benq PB6100, and need some advice. Should I go ahead and pick up a new bulb along w the projector, or wait until I need it? I was thinking that if I decide to return the proj for some reason the extra $300 bulb might not be returnable. However I've also heard horror stories about the bulbs in new projectors popping after a few hundred hours. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suppose the choice is really dependent on the ability to source a replacement quickly and the life expectancy of the bulb in relation to your usage. I have an X1 and have found parts to be almost unobtainable (in the UK) been waiting 3 months for a VGA-component adapter and know I'm not the only one.

My X1 was supplied with a spare as part of a deal, so at the first clean (200hrs) this was put in and the counter set to zero and the original put back as a spare. As a low level user I calculated that at 3000 hours the replacement should not be required for 6 years and thats a long time to have $300 of kit sitting there unused. Then again if it takes months to get a replacement.....

Talking to a local dealer, he stated that instances of low hours bulb failure are very rare and quite a few HT PJ's are upgraded with the initial bulb still in use.

I trust spares are easier to obtain in the US?

Paul

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Yeah spares are easier to come by in the US but in my case (small town) I would still most likely have to mail order or have the folks I'm buying my proj from order me one. Still that's only acouple days no where near a month, ouch!

Again thank you for your help

·
Registered
505 Posts
Someone on the board a few weeks back had a pretty good idea. Buy the X1 and no spare bulb. The new bulb is under warranty for 500 hours or 90 days whichever comes first. At the end of the warranty buy a new bulb. Install the new bulb because it's under warranty. Stow the original as the spare. If you set the new one aside for a year or two waiting for the first one to go, when you go to install it it will be out of warranty. I thought that was pretty clever and I'm taking the advice. I'll be ordering a new bulb in about a month or so.

JayW

·
Registered
935 Posts
Why get it now? The waranty will expire before you even use it, and the price will probably be down by half when it comes the time to replace it, if you havent gotten a new projector by then. It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had bad luck with my first bulb on my X1 after 180 hours. It lost about 50% of its light output and all colors, (especially red) were completely washed out.

I contacted Infocus and they suggested that I mail the projector to them. I asked if I could use one of their "authorized factory repair centers" as there was one close by to where I work at. Infocus agreed and gave me the info I needed to get the repair work done.

It took the repair center 3 weeks and they finally told me they had fixed the problem by replacing the balaster, power supply and lamp. When I got the projector home I was shocked when I started the projector and saw absolutely no improvement then when I brought it in 3 weeks ago. I immediately called up their repair manager who assured me that all parts had been replaced.

I contacted Infocus and they suggested that I mail them my projector. Sent them the projector via UPS ground as 2 day was over $80 and 3 day was $65. Ground took them from Dec 24th to January 6th (almost 2 weeks) to receive my projector.

Infocus took only 5 days to repair the projector, upgrade my firmware and clean the projector. This was good considering the unusual snowstorm that was going on during that time in Oregon. Shipping back took 5 days and everything works perfectly. Infocus said that the bulb was bad and replaced it as it was still under warranty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think it really depends on how much you use your projector. In my case, I'm probably going to go the route of buying a bulb after my initial 90 day warranty is up. At this point I've had my X1 for just under 2 months and am approaching 300 hours. In other words, I'm using it as a TV rather than simply a movie projector. HD football on a 97" widescreen is awesome. I figure my bulb's life expectancy is around 2 years give or take, and I'd hate to have to go a few days waiting on a new bulb. If its going to take 6 years to reach your bulb's life expectancy, you're probably not using your projector that much so I'd probably consider waiting.

Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input I think I'll wait, at least until the 90 days is up...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Or get and A10X thats XGA and 1300 lumens with 4500 hour lamp life.

·
Registered
814 Posts
hmm, i was considering the same thing "hey, why i don't just go ahead and order an extra bulb with my new PJ, heck, even two!"

then hit hit me.. warranty... i have no way of knowing if the bulb will work correctly untill i install it and use it, if i buy the extra bulb it might be defective and i won't know about it untill warranty is up.. if i buy 2 then it's worse =P

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClickHere2Surf
Or get and A10X thats XGA and 1300 lumens with 4500 hour lamp life.
One thing I noted about the A10X is that the timer counts down on the bulb and then turns red and then stops lighting when down to zero apparently even if the bulb is still good.

I'm already at 95% ( I use normal power moded and life is shorter) and have had mine less than 1 month. Is this forced turn off of the bulb the same for all projectors? And what does it mean for someone who would order a new one and put it in so the 90 day warrentee period isn't wasted? Does each bulb unit track its own hours to meltdown?

·
Registered
935 Posts
YOU PUT 3000 HOURS IN ONE MONTH!?!? Are there even that many hours in a month?

There are 720 hours in a month, so unless you live on another planet with 100 hour days tht makes no sense.

Oh wait a minute... you mean you have 95% LEFT not used I guess, sorry, anyway I think it does stop you from using the bulb but nothing stops you from resetting the timer after 4500 to squeeze out any life that's left.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ClickHere2Surf
Oh wait a minute... you mean you have 95% LEFT not used I guess, sorry, anyway I think it does stop you from using the bulb but nothing stops you from resetting the timer after 4500 to squeeze out any life that's left.
Well its 160 hours right now which is telling me something like I am watching too much with the projector; plus leaving it on all night (and thinking it would auto off on its own) was a mistake

How can you reset the timer? My menu just jumps right over the timer bar so no way to reset it. Reminds me of ink jet cartidges with chips in them; enforced replacement and @ $450 a bulb it will hurt somewhat.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Depends on your specific situation. If I go to make a presentation and the bulb blows I'd better have a spare. This Summer I'm planning a film program. If the bulb goes, same thing - no backup no show. The show MUST go on, my show anyway. There are some extra costs to this thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.