AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying an HDTV RPTV-CRT between 55"and 65".I have Dish Network at this time but I will have Time-Warner cable avail. soon and of course,Direct TV avail.now.I even have an old C-Band setup that with a little repair and a 4DTV sidecar can become operational.My question is this:Should I buy a set with the built in tuner or should I just get a unit from my service provider?Are there any advantages/disadvantages either way?Thanks for any help you can offer-I am in brain overload over all this! :user: HAl26

·
Registered
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hal26
.......................My question is this:Should I buy a set with the built in tuner or should I just get a unit from my service provider?Are there any advantages/disadvantages either way?Thanks for any help you can offer-I am in brain overload over all this! :user: HAl26

Some of the TVs I saw at CES had integrated ATSC tuners for OTA signals but only a couple had QAM for cablecards. So what you are looking at now and in the immediate future are TVs with intergrated tuners for OTA, so if you are going to be getting your signal from Time Warner Cable or a Sat. then you don't need an integrated tuner. Time Warner in my area is excellent for HD with 13 channels and no compression problems. The picture is equal to the same picture via OTA. I've got a Samsung 165 OTA only tuner and no longer need it, I use it with my JVC 30K to record HD.

Bottom line, you don't need an integrated tuner unless your source is OTA. TWC has an excellent box you rent and exchange for free whenever an improved version comes out. Save some money. IMHO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.