Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question,

I have a HLM507 Tantus, should I buy the Bravo D1 now or wait 2 months and get the Samsung HD931?

If the current thought that the Samsung HD931 will be superior due to the Farouja 2300 and DNIe?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
The bigger question is... Will the Samsung 931 allow 720p and 1080i upscaled output thru DVI into non-HDCP displays? Not too likely. The D1 does now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
The bigger question is... Will the Samsung 931 allow 720p and 1080i upscaled output thru DVI into non-HDCP displays? Not too likely. The D1 does now.
Is HDCP a legal requirement for Samsung? If not, why would they add it as it would reduce sales.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
It's not 'Why' it's because they are 'Required' to impliment HDCP protection. Samsung is a huge company, whereas V inc. is tiny and can fly under the radar.

This is why the discontinued $1,500. HD1000 was sought after, because you can get the 'loophole' firmware that will allow 720p & 1080i output.

Now with the D1 you can get state-of-the-art image quality and HD scaled ouput through superior DVI into non-HDCP displays.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you own a Samsung monitor, I would consider getting the Samsung DVD player.

It is as if they were made for eachother. :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Santellavision,

Would this make a difference in display for me?

I have a HLM507 Tantus with DVI/HDCP.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
It is as if they were made for eachother.
Well, not if you have an older Samsung set that isn't HDCP compliant.

Jeff, If your display is HDCP compliant, it should work great. Any word on when the 931 will actually be available?

·
Registered
931 Posts
well if you have a display that supports HDCP protection than you might want to go with the Samsung 931.

I say this because of the several negative remarks made about the Bravo D1's build quality and audio out issues, i.e. taking a long time to lock on to the bit-stream or the outs not working.

I can't make a real comparison as I have not had any experience with either unit. With many products in this hobby I believe you will have to look at both for your self and then judge which is the right player for you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I hear the Samsung HD931 will be avalible in June 03.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
I say this because of the many negative remarks made about the Bravo D1's build quality and audio out issues
Many? Are you kiddin'? The 2 or 3 who have audio problems is pretty miniscule, compared to the huge amount who have posted the DVI output, D1 blows away every analog-component DVD player they currently have. And, it even looks superior to their high-dollar DVI HTPC's!

Ask AVS's Alan Gouger, who posted that it blew away his $1500 Samsung HD1000 and his own personal HTPC. Here's his observations...
Quote:
The Samsung which uses the Faroudja chip did have some ringing and that bothered me. Because most dvds already have a small to large amount of EE I dont want the dvd player adding its own on top of that. I prefer to add my own sharpness setting through my processor to suit my taste.

Using the Avia resolution wedge pattern this player is perfectly clean right out to the edge better than the Samsung HD1000 so while some may think it is a little soft you are not loosing any resolution at all. The player is just more accurate passing the original dvd info and not adding its own artifacts.

I definitely prefer the image of this player to the Samsung HD1000.

This of course is personal taste. I am running a large screen size 9 feet wide and EE really spoils the image at that size. I prefer an accurate smooth film look not an edgy vhs look.
I especially like the last line where he prefers the D1 over the edgy, VHS looking $1500. HD1000! Take an hour or two and read the hundreds of posts on the ever-expanding threads.

·
Registered
931 Posts
santellavision

whoa calm down there chief remember the 931 also has DVI and slated to cost $299.

I am not making a comparison of the D1 to the HD1000 which uses component and costs $1,500.00.

I should have stated several as opposed to many but the problems still exist with the D1.

I even recommended that he try both players before deciding I never out right stated that the Samsung is a better machine.

I own an XP-30 and my display doesn't have DVI so neither one of these players interest me.

I would gather from your reaction that you are an owner of the D1. Congratulations I hope you enjoy the product for many years.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
whoa calm down there chief remember the 931 also has DVI and slated to cost $299.
Yes, but the 931 will not output 720p & 1080i through DVI to a display that doesn't have HDCP like the D1 will.

That alone is worth the price of admission to all the owners of displays without HDCP.

·
Registered
931 Posts
from my inital post

"well if you have a display that supports HDCP protection than you might want to go with the Samsung 931."

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quote:
santellavision,

The D1 does not. At least with a Pioneer plasma. The 5002 card will not accept a 720p or 1080i signal. Not a limitation of the D1, but don't post false facts.

I would also venture to guess that there are many more than 3 people that are having issues with this player. I would guess the return rate on the first batch may be close to 20%.

Good luck with this player, you get what you pay for. I'm glad your happy with only having half the equation for watching a DVD. IMO, the audio portion of a movie is at least 50% of the experience.

marty

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well I'll be waiting for someone to have a shootout between these two players, then I'll choose. I can wait.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
The D1 does not. At least with a Pioneer plasma. The 5002 card will not accept a 720p or 1080i signal. Not a limitation of the D1, but don't post false facts.
It's been posted that the D1 DOES in fact output 720p and 1080i TO Non-HDCP sets. Just because you're display won't work, don't blame the D1, it's your Plasma.

I also did a little research and found this post...
Quote:
quoted by pciav,

The reason the D1 won't work into the 5002 card is because the DVI input only accepts PC signals, this is a known limitation well discussed in the plasma forum and documented in the technical manual. The Leeza is seen as a PC Signal so it works. In order to use the D1 with the 503 you are going to have to replace the 5002 card with either the new KD card coming out or the one or the new Aurora cards in order for it to recognize video signals (480p, 720p, or 1080i).

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
It's been posted that the D1 DOES in fact output 720p and 1080i TO Non-HDCP sets. Just because you're display won't work, don't blame the D1, it's your Plasma.

I
As a Pio 433CMX/5002 owner, I have to agree with you. It won't handle 720p/1080i from ANYTHING, so blaming the D1 isn't justified.

I have a replacement for the 5002 coming with real DVI/HDCP. It's going to be a tough call whether the HD receiver uses that, or a Bravo (or equivalent) DVD player.

·
Registered
621 Posts
After several false starts, I'm once again ready to sell my Bravo. It is one week old. It is incompatible with my plasma monitor. Send me a private message if you're interested.

My plasma (also a non-HDCP DVI unit, the Fujitsu PDS-5001) won't accept anything but 480p, and even this looks wrong -- too stretched.

·
Registered
980 Posts
DFletcher,

This thread is not a classified add.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My NEC 50" plasma is a non-HDCP DVI unit.But it will do 720p from a bravo and it looks great.

1 - 20 of 387 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.