AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go with an ~$800 Polk TSi300 setup as my first non-htib, or bite the bullet and go with something more along the lines of the Paradigm Phantom Cinema Gaming system or the Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD? These will be powered by an Onkyo 606. The Aperion and Paradigm are more expensive, but I think that eventually I'll want to upgrade the Polk's (unless ppl here think this would be pretty good vs the aperion and paradigm). Thoughts?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, though its not a matter of waiting. I'm ordering/picking up one of them tomorrow.
I suppose my question comes down to are the Aperion and Paradigm worth double the price of the polks? And if so, in your opinions, which setup is better (keeping in mind that this is 70% Bluray/DVD, 20% games, 10% music). I know its all subjective, I just want to hear opinions of people who have much more experience in this than I. I've always been big on video, etc and only recently realized I was missing out on half the fun of blu-ray.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Your going to get different responses from everyone. Best thing you can do is listen to everything you can in your budget, and purchase what you are comfortable with price and sound wise. Also what are you using it for? Gaming and Movies, you may not notice as much of a difference as you would think between systems. If HT and Gaming is your main focus, pay the most attention to the Center Channel and Sub between the different setups. If you are more into 2ch music from a quality source (in other words not from the headphone jack of a iPod shuffle), most of you focus should be on the mains in the system. Regardless of what you end up with, If you are doing a 5.1/7.1 setup the speakers should be matched so there are no sound changes when panning across the speakers while running surround sound. The subwoofer does not need to be from the same brand, or product line, but should be of the same quality as the main speakers. This does not mean price wise, as there are several quality subwoofers at low price points. At some point, unless you loose interest in the hobby, you will upgrade no matter what you end up with. Also you can get more for your money on the used market, if you know what you are looking for.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
The question of whether the Aperion or Paradigm is worth the price can only be answered by you.

When I shop for audio gear my main rule is to never cheap out on myself. It's a hard learned lesson littered with a trail of returned merchandise, and items I kept but should have returned. I can't remember the last time I regretted paying too much for my hobbies, be it golf clubs, audio gear, photography or motorcycle stuff. I have bought cheap golf clubs. They reside in the garage because nobody would want to buy them. Cheap lenses get sold on ebay but generally I take a hit on them, so, lesson learned, don't buy them except for a select few gems. Same for audio gear. My Harley is the one thing I've never cheaped out on.

I shop for the best quality I can afford within the boundarys of what makes sense for what I need it and will use the item for. It has to fit or I don't buy it.

Like my latest acquisition, an external amp. I went with a 7 channel amp with 125wpc. I could have afforded a 200wpc amp, but it didn't fit into the overall scheme of things with my audio needs. I simply have no need for that much power. The amp will be staying here for a very long time. It fits.

So the question is whether the Aperion or Paradigm speakers fit into what you are attempting to accomplish.

As to the question of Polk vs Aperion vs Paradigm, if you have some place to listen to these in a decent sound demonstration room, take the time and see what sounds best to you.

If the Polks sound no different to you, then that is what makes sense for you. Some of us hear those differences, some do not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.