AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of you with more experience, tell me why this isn't a good deal.

The eMachines T6520 has some very nice features for a good price, at least as a starter HTPC.

It has 1GB of RAM, 200GB hard drive space, two free PCI slots, a PCIe slot, SATA slots are open, and it has a double layer DVD-R drive and the Athlon 64 processor.

Problem? Well, it doesn't come w/ a TV Tuner card, but since I want to record HDTV on it anyway, I would have to purchase that. Also, the video card is lacking, but that can always be upgraded.

At $600, it seems like a great start for an HTPC. If I"m way, way off base, someone tell me. Building one from scratch is not something I'm going to do, so getting a starter like this seems good finanically.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You are paying for things you dont need or want. You can probably find someone to build one for you cheaper. One that has a good motherboard, a good non-integrated video card, and a standard sized case that will accept standard components.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would not accept standard components?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
eMachines suck. All my workmates eMachine's are breaking down and always ask for my help. I'm not a fan of OEM's but take a look at the Dell's.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
I too have thought about picking up this unit or a T6522 - similar model sold only at Circuit City for

Price was: $749.99

You save: -$10.00

You pay: $739.99

Mail-in rebate(s): -$75.00

Price after rebate(s): $664.99

so for $50 more than the T6520, you get:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 3500+

• Built-in TV tuner

• 200GB 7200RPM hard drive

• 1024MB of DDR memory

• Dual-layer DVD+/-R/RW

• XP Media Center 2005

from what I've read, the 6522 is a better deal because the AMD cpu is a 939, rather than a 754 > better upgrade path and compatible with new 64 x2 cpus

not a bad deal, no?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The merits of pre-built vs do-it-yourself tends to fluctuate over the years. At the moment, the deals on low-end pre-built PC's are so good that you can't possibly touch it doing it yourself.

If you are willing to jump through rebate hoops, the deals Best Buy etc. are offering on eMachines are incredible.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
At the moment, the deals on low-end pre-built PC's are so good that you can't possibly touch it doing it yourself.
You can't touch it because you can't find cheap OEM crap like that being sold at retail outlets.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatt
You can't touch it because you can't find cheap OEM crap like that being sold at retail outlets.
Is there a reason you left out any useful details along with that insightful comment?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I second the view that the 949-based one is a much better deal, because there are some really fast (now too expensive) dual-core AMD 64 chips that can slip right in.

If you build it yourself, it will not be cheaper. But you will know what motherboard you're getting and, from reviews, what its cooling and sound characteristics are. Maybe the E-machines MB will heat up too much to accept the faster chip down the road, or maybe the machine will be noisy once you get it home? Hard to know.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Somebody from eMachines run over you puppy or what? Look, a basic machine has cheap parts, but I don't see anything in my purchace that is "crap". Got anything to back up your comment?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's about a model. First of all, it may not be highest quality but if you research it right you should find something decent. When I build a PC, I buy 1 video card; when eMachines builds they buy quite a few more. I definitely would recommend a pre-built if you're not willing to invest a significant amount (say, $1500 which is more intuitive than researched). Personally, I wouldn't recommend eMachines to anyone but I'd look for a hot deal on a decent prebuilt with some level of upgradability to a friend. I also think that you'll never get to know a pre built as well as a system you researched, built, and debugged yourself. That assumes a certain level of knowledge and commitment. If you chuck a bunch of high quality components into a package you lose out some on stability. It's a matter of drivers and software working together, something that doesn't usually work out with latest greatest machines. No mfr can test against every config, they tend to focus on what's been around and sold well. A great example of this is Creative and video games? Can you imagine a game vendor not testing against Creative hardware? Do you think they test against cards like DMXFires and such?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i use the emachines t6212 ( upgrades memory 1.5G and MSI 6600GT and prodigy 7.1LT) as HTPC. So far..it has been good.

Initially I thought of building my own system. then i realized i need more time to research/build/tweak..so i gave up that option.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angedc
dual-core AMD 64 chips that can slip right in.
There is more involved, at minimum an updated BIOS, Which emachines may or may not put out. You might get lucky if you knew the model of the board and find that the manufacturer has put out an updated BIOS. Also I think the chipset has to support dual core, not all will. I would research more, but for the time being assume that you will not be able to upgrade to dual core.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy
Somebody from eMachines run over you puppy or what? Look, a basic machine has cheap parts, but I don't see anything in my purchace that is "crap". Got anything to back up your comment?
I just worked on a Gateway 614GE branded computer for someone. Same machine. Same MSI motherboard. Windows wouldn't install on it without a BIOS update. Have fun.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David James
Is there a reason you left out any useful details along with that insightful comment?
If you need things spelled out to you: Companies make cheap components, and sell them to companies such as eMachines very cheap, below what the component would cost retail, since the original company absolves itself of any support responsibility. You cannot get support from the original manufacturer of these components. If the motherboard dies, you need to go through eMachines. eMachines handles driver releases and firmware updates.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Quote:
If you need things spelled out to you:
Sorry, but your original comment contained no substance at all, it was an immature quip.
Quote:
Companies make cheap components, and sell them to companies such as eMachines very cheap, below what the component would cost retail, since the original company absolves itself of any support responsibility. You cannot get support from the original manufacturer of these components. If the motherboard dies, you need to go through eMachines. eMachines handles driver releases and firmware updates.
As someone who has owned eMachines products I'm well aware of how it works. This information alone has no bearing what so ever on the quality of the product and if you are going to claim the equipment is crap, I think it's fair and reasonable to expect supporting evidence. Ya got any? Anecdotes don't count.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i work on broken emachines all the time. the first thing you should do when you get it is try to install a better power supply as the stock one is very weak and of poor quality which will affect the stability and longetivity of the other components in the computer. the power supply is not a standard size so good luck on upgrading it. all the other components should be ok for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.