AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading some post on here about mostly HDTivo and the upgrades and what not, but am not finding an answer to what I want to know. In about 2 months I will be finishing up a HT system that will need 3 separate HD feeds. They dont need to be Tivo. So I was wondering if I should buy the 2 additional boxes that I need, currently have 1 Hughes HD box or should I wait til a little more information is out there on the switch from Mpeg 2 to 4? I saw the boxes at a local retailer for $199 and thought that it was a decent price? Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I'd wait.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You should go ahead and buy now. DirecTV will swap out old HD receivers for the new ones when the time comes. And that time could still be a year or two, especially if your not in one of the top 12 broadcast markets where DirecTV's new MPEG4 HD Locals will roll out later this year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I need a tie breaker...1 vote for each...be a difference maker :) please support your answer though...thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have no interest in the HD Tivo at all. I have a regular Tivo and thats suffice for me right now and when I complete my HT I will be going cable for upstairs viewing and satellite downstairs. So Im still looking for a tie breaker....anyone?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm going to take the plunge since they dropped to $199. I purchased the $199 USDigital set top box from a local Wal-Mart to see if I could pick up my locals in HD without an outside antenna (I live in a rural area so it was kind of iffy). I was able to pick up all 4 networks with just amplified "rabbit ears." So I will return the set top box and purchase the HD D*TV reciever later this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.