AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Pioneer VSX-1120-K 7.1-Channel 3-D Ready A/V Receiver 524.00 today at bestbuy,don't have to get online.If anything is wrong can return easy.

2.ONKYO TX-NR708 7.2-Channel Receiver 549.00 on line new egg- some are getting bad units

3.YAMAHA RX-V1900BL 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver 579.00 on line,this has more power per channel 130 watts- don't know if this is rms or dynamic? The other 2 have 110 watts per channel rms (I think,I know Onkyo rates at rms)

I am coming from a Onkyo tx-sr606 90 watts per channel,movies are great but music sucks.I have Klipsch VF-35 floor fronts,Polk Audio CS-10 center (both 100 watts) Onkyo 530F front speakers for side surrounds and Onkyo surrounds for rear surrounds.Velodyne 185 rms DSP 10 sub.

These are the speakers that will go with the new unit I choose.Any help is appreciated from owners of any models above.Thanks people

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
JMO but you might want to consider spending $$ to get a speaker front stage that's timbre matched rather than the Klipsch/Polk kluge that you're currently running. Your not likely to get much of an audible improvement in SQ by just changing the receiver. JMO

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
And these recievers have been compared so many times. Try a search.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 /forum/post/19549094

JMO but you might want to consider spending $$ to get a speaker front stage that's timbre matched rather than the Klipsch/Polk kluge that you're currently running. Your not likely to get much of an audible improvement in SQ by just changing the receiver. JMO

can you go deeper into what you are talking about,which is kluge to you both or they don't match.I don't understand,what is timber matched?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/19549307

And these recievers have been compared so many times. Try a search.

I seen they have been spoke of,but not found anyone saying anything but asking questions.I was hoping to find owners if I was lucky,are you an owner of one of these systems,if not-why even respond?So far I've been insulted twice!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Considering audio performance, the Yammy 1900 is in quite another league from the compared units. It's last years model at a great price whose avg retail was sunstantialy more than the Pio/Onkyo. It's chassis weight tells the whole story.

I do agree with the earlier post that your BIGGEST gain is to be had with the front three speaker system. If you're commiting to better performance down the line, get the Yammy and start looking for a new front three.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinman /forum/post/0

I seen they have been spoke of,but not found anyone saying anything but asking questions.I was hoping to find owners if I was lucky,are you an owner of one of these systems,if not-why even respond?So far I've been insulted twice!

Yes, I own the Pioneer. Besides differences in features, what are you expecting? I didn't mean to "insult" you, but these are some of the most talked about AVR's on this forum over the past few months.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinman /forum/post/19549525

can you go deeper into what you are talking about,which is kluge to you both or they don't match.I don't understand,what is timber matched?

Speakers can (usually do) sound different. This can easily be heard when you play a receiver's built in test tones, and while cylcling through those tones, you will notice that, for example, your L/R might sound different than your center speaker.

This is because speakers are imperfect, and various compromises are made.

Some feel that sound will be better if you buy speakers in the same line, from the same manufacturer, that are of the same general design, so their frequency response is similar.

Think of timbre like this - play an A above middle C on a piano, and play the same note on another instrument...they can sound quite different even after ignoring attack and decay (technically, though they have the same primary frequency, they will have various harmonics at different amplitudes, which will affect how they sound.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.