AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
topic pretty much says it all, I have an STB tv tuner with bt 848a chipset, Anyone know what i should do about drivers/software? Is there support anywhere?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You have a Set Top Box with a brooktree chipset ??? Thats a contradiction...

If you mean you have a generic TV card try the sourceforge BTWinCap drivers....

·
Registered
770 Posts
...that made, among other things, fairly good tuner cards. I have one myself. I seem to remember they produced some NT 4 drivers, but I don't think that they went beyond that.

- Halstead

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
STB coinciding with Set Top Box for a company making TV cards is just tooo funny !!!!!

Still the BTWinCap works with every 8x8 card I have thrown at it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
STB, later acquired by 3dfx, bit the dust a long time ago. However, I always see some guy from New Jersey auctioning these cards on eBay, and his auctions always have links to the Me and XP drivers. Here is the link. No idea if these work, as I don't have the card, but the guy sells a ton of these on eBay, and he has good feedback, so i figure they are legit.

http://hometown.aol.com/lmills1999/m.../business.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
As long as your STB card is working, you are in good shape. Just about everyone that uses a BT87x board for serious analog video capture uses the opensource BT87x drivers for the board. Do a search on google for the drivers. You can use just about any freeware program to capture and watch TV after that. Try Dscaler and WinVCR. Both free and open sourced.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have an STB TV Tuner card that I use solely for s-video and composite input, and deinterlace via DScaler. I'm running XP Pro and, while the card is old, there are working XP drivers available.

I've never tried the tuner or sound on the card, so I can't comment on that. The "capture" quality from s-video and composite is not too bad, other than occasional interference lines that are common with these types of cards.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard TV's have better tuner's than any pci card you can buy is this true? I want to know what's going to give me the best tuner, I'd be willing to go with an external tuner box that comes in thru say an xcapture card via svideo or rca. Had problems last night getting the stb to work, but I think i should be able to get it done tonight , so we'll see how the picture is. To sum up are there any good tuners for the pc, or should i go with an external box.

chris(TheTurtle)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.