AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6-year old Hsu STF-3 subwoofer that has been lightly used. In fact, I lived in a 700 sq. ft. condo for most of this period so the volume dial at the back of the subwoofer was barely above "0" since I didn't want the neighbors complaining. A few days ago, I noticed that the subwoofer was producing only faint rumbles instead of at normal volumes. When i turned up the volume dial/knob at the back of the subwoofer, there was no change to the sound volume, so something is wrong.

I emailed Hsu tech support and they're suggesting that I send the subwoofer amplifier in for servicing, which will run about $100 plus shipping. I only use the subwoofer for movies as I have floor standing speakers for my left and right speakers and I just use these without the subwoofer for music. I'm not caught up in the latest developments in the subwoofers (I notice the more expensive VTF-3's are onto Mark 3 versions now), but is it worth buying a new subwoofer or trying to get this STF-3 fixed? I don't know if this is a common problem that I've encountered and it's a simple fix? Considering how little I've used the STF-3's, I'm kind of disappointed that the volume dial has gone defective on me like this.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I concur, for $100 bucks i would get it fixed.

If it was gonna be $200+ i might be more inclined to say get a new sub.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks for the responses, guys. I'm in Canada so shipping the sub back to Hsu in California is a bit more costly for me, but at least it's just shipping the amp back, not the whole sub. I wasn't sure if there was anything that has come out in the past few years that I ought to be considering to replace the STF-3.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The STF3 is still a beast of a sub, it's well worth $100 to get it fixed. If you have the upgrade itch, you could get it fixed, and then you could sell it for more than that and use that money toward a new sub. But if you say you never really pushed the sub that hard than there is no reason to get anything new.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/19583300

The STF3 is still a beast of a sub, it's well worth $100 to get it fixed. If you have the upgrade itch, you could get it fixed, and then you could sell it for more than that and use that money toward a new sub. But if you say you never really pushed the sub that hard than there is no reason to get anything new.

I agree in that if you are not pushing this sub, and are happy with its performance, then why spend more money than necessary. No other sub shipped at the price to fix this one with the shipping is going to be an upgrade in performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts