AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to see some flicker on the bulb of my Sharp XV-Z10000. The projector was installed in the media room of our house when we bought it and the bulb has 1,990 hours, so I'm thinking upgrade time. My budget and requirements are pretty low-end, right now I'm leaning towards Epson Home Cinema 720 or Panasonic ax200u. Since I'm new to the world of projectors I don't know what to expect around the time of cedia regarding prices on the old models. I see lots of talk about the expected sub-$1k 1080p projectors coming on the horizon. My use is probably 90% sports/HDTV and only 10% movies, so I'm honestly not that concerned about 1080p. Don't even own a blu-ray player. I like the current lamp rebate on the HC720, but I'm wondering if prices will drop after cedia? I know I'll get suggestions to save for a 6500ub or similar, but really I'm looking to keep this under $1k.

I'd love to hear some of your guys opinions on a few questions: 1. should I wait a few more months to see how the sub-$1k 1080p units are reviewed and what effect they have on the pricing of the 720p units or pull the trigger on the Epson/Panny now? 2. I haven't seen many projectors in person, can anybody give me a realistic expectation of the kind of improvement (if any) I will see going to one of the aforementioned projectors from my 2k-hours-on-the-bulb XV-Z10000? Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would wait if I were you. I am new to the projector world, but have worked in the technology industry for many years. If it's the same as with other pieces of technology (and videogames), except price drops shortly (but not immediately) after the conference. Of course, it could be different, you would need someone's opinion who has been around projectors for a couple years, but I doubt it.

I recently bought my first projector. an Optoma HD65. My reasoning was simple, it will be fantastic for a couple years, by which time I could sell it for a couple hundred bucks and buy a Sub $1000 1080P projector that will no doubt be superior to $2500 models out now.

In your case, you have one already. So you aren't in this situation. From what I have been reading the last few days (12 hours a day or so, waste of a weekend/monday), the Optoma HD20 should be out soon, and it is priced at $999 and is 1080p.

If you aren't going to wait for CEDIA, hold on for a couple weeks and see how the HD20 pans out. That projector won't be getting a price drop, as it will be a brand new model, and the Canadian version (HD200X) is selling for $1499-1599 currently. If either models gets a price drop, it won't be the American version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its good to wait and wait for the another projector to launch and wait on the feedback and reviews, if are really not in a hurry to buy one.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Waiting always gets you cheaper. However, the Optoma HD20 is available imminently if not immediately, and the price is about as low as prices can go for 1080p. I'm saying that if you want an Epson 6500UB for the lowest price, wait four months. If you want a good budget 1080p projector, you can get one this coming month in your stated price range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, I think I can make it a few more weeks or months on the Sharp. I think I'll be better off waiting for the reviews on the HD20 or for the prices on the old 720p models to react to the new models. Appreciate all of the opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts