AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating a new HDTV for several months now. I was going to buy when football season and Resistance 3 for the PS3 game out next week.


I was going to pull the trigger on the Sony 46HX729. But what if I could get one of the high-end models like the Sony 46HX929 for a discounted price when the holiday sale starts?


I would like to buy a TV for under $1000 but I am willing to stretch it out to $1500-$1700. I can pull this off one of the mentioned models with the Amazon credit I have. If I wait for Holiday sale, could I get the 46HX929 for much cheaper than it is now? When does the Holiday sale usually start?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
Flagship sets like the 929 generally aren't discounted much if any during the holiday season. Typically the Holiday sales cluster around the thanksgiving break. More often than not the really deep discounts are on sets brought out specifically for Black Friday--decontented models that are often not actually built by the company whose name is on the bezel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S
Flagship sets like the 929 generally aren't discounted much if any during the holiday season. Typically the Holiday sales cluster around the thanksgiving break. More often than not the really deep discounts are on sets brought out specifically for Black Friday--decontented models that are often not actually built by the company whose name is on the bezel.
Might depend on the area. That hasn't been the case around here. The XBR 909 went on sale at a steep discount last Christmas two weeks prior to Christmas from a nationwide big box chain. Other districts could have had different sales I suppose...but we saw some steep discounts on virtually every model at some point during the holiday season last year.


Black Friday featured budget or mid priced sets but after that various upper tier sets went on and off sale throughout the holiday season.


I'd try to wait and pickup a 929, its a great set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim
Even with a great holiday sale, it's still going to be hard for the price to fall into his stated budget.
I think my budget could bet better if i waited. My only problem is I am itching for one now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this in another thread but no one answered it. But I was wondering how the gaming performance/ input lag is on the Sony 46HX929, especially on the online multiplayer games like Uncharted 2. It's one of my main factors in deciding what TV I want and I was just curious how the playstation 3 gaming is offline and online performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstars /forum/post/0


I posted this in another thread but no one answered it. But I was wondering how the gaming performance/ input lag is on the Sony 46HX929, especially on the online multiplayer games like Uncharted 2. It's one of my main factors in deciding what TV I want and I was just curious how the playstation 3 gaming is offline and online performance.

Check the offical 929 thread, someone did an input lag test. Around 30ms with local dimming off, if i remember correctly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstars /forum/post/20889879


I have been contemplating a new HDTV for several months now. I was going to buy when football season and Resistance 3 for the PS3 game out next week.


I was going to pull the trigger on the Sony 46HX729. But what if I could get one of the high-end models like the Sony 46HX929 for a discounted price when the holiday sale starts?


I would like to buy a TV for under $1000 but I am willing to stretch it out to $1500-$1700. I can pull this off one of the mentioned models with the Amazon credit I have. If I wait for Holiday sale, could I get the 46HX929 for much cheaper than it is now? When does the Holiday sale usually start?

FWIW, I bought my tv in January of this year, just in time for the Stupid Bowl. I didn't pay too much attention to the "superbowl" sales and looked for what I wanted after getting educated here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal_phil /forum/post/20891076


Check the offical 929 thread, someone did an input lag test. Around 30ms with local dimming off, if i remember correctly

There are several sites that done their input lag tests and got the number you mentioned, 31 ms. This guy got 6.9 ms:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post20876910


Post #5796 is where I am getting it from. I don't know who to trust. As I am pretty big gamer and look forward to the Uncharted 3 online multiplayer.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top