AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theater and was wondering if it's worth buying a projector now or waiting a few months for the new hotness.

Projectors I'm considering if I were to buy tomorrow are the Panasonic AE4000 and the Epson 8500UB. I've heard much buzz about these 2 projectors, both within this forum and elsewhere on the web (BenQ & Optoma have been mentioned as making close seconds in this price range).

Ultimately though, is there any new technology on the horizon in this price range that would be worth waiting for?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
We have a nice Panasonic 720p that continues to satisfy us 100% so we will wait until it either fails or 3D technology evolves to more cost effective and feature rich projectors.

However, if we didn't have a projector we would buy one now.

I'd say, if you don't have a Theater in the Home projector setup and can wait for the evolving new stuff then buy one now.

·
Just add water and stir
1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushM3 /forum/post/18198488

I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theater and was wondering if it's worth buying a projector now or waiting a few months for the new hotness.

Projectors I'm considering if I were to buy tomorrow are the Panasonic AE4000 and the Epson 8500UB. I've heard much buzz about these 2 projectors, both within this forum and elsewhere on the web (BenQ & Optoma have been mentioned as making close seconds in this price range).

Ultimately though, is there any new technology on the horizon in this price range that would be worth waiting for?

I say buy when you can with the best information and research available. Everyone has to get in some point, why not sooner? Enjoying a movie in big screen experience is driving me to finish my room and get going. I can't imagine waiting longer than I would need to!

Maybe as you do more research and investigate your options you will stop thinking what others will say, and become consumed with what matters most - how you feel about either projector. I tossed back and forth between those two models too, for months. But in the end I decided on the Sony BRAVIA VPL-HW15 SXRD. Home Theater Magazine reviewed it against the Epson 9500UB in the Feb 2010 edition. Also seeing the picture made it the one for me.

I say grab the bull by the horns, and get in there...don't wait, or risk waiting forever. How would you know when the technology is so good it won't get better?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the new "hot" technologies in projectors seems to be 3-D and LED based units. I think it will be a while before an affordable 1080p LED projector will surface. I think 3-D is definitely coming, but until the standards get worked out and there is enough content to bother with it I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get something now you can enjoy for a year or two. I've recently purchased a used 720p Panny and it blows my mind after watching movies for the last few years on a tiny 50" plasma

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Exactly the info I was looking for. Just bought an Epson 6100 tonight.

Now, I know what you're thinking..."what a pain in the tushy this guy is, taking up forum space inquiring about the latest hotness and then buying a projector that was released over a year ago!" Well, the decision was based on strong reviews for one, and I felt the difference in technology between, say, the 6100 and the 8500, wasn't groundbreakingly different (with the exception of deeper black levels). It also didn't hurt that I picked up the 6100 for well over a grand less than the 8500. Figured it'll buy more than enough time until the new benchmark in technology moves in at a reasonable pricepoint (LED, for example).

Can't wait til she arrives!

·
Registered
366 Posts
That price puts you close to the 8100 and yes there is quite a bit of technology difference between the two meaning the 6100 and 8500. Sounds like a good salesperson got ahold of you. Unless you got it for about a 1000 or less you could have done better.

JMO

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to wait for any technologies. It's been well said already, 20,000 hour lamp life isn't going to be here tomorrow or the day after that. I strongly considered both of the projectors you mentioned, panasonic 4000 and epson 8500ub. Without a doubt, I would go with the 8500ub between the two. The strongly logic is easy to understand.

Something I factor into the cost of a projector is it's upkeep cost, which is the cost of running it per hour/day/week/year or whatever formula you wish to create. The point is, the panasonic has 2000 hour lamp life where the epson has 4000. That alone creates a better unit in terms of cost, although the epson is a bit more expensive, I feel that in the long run, you get better value.

From what I've read, the 8500ub generally performs in many areas better than the panasonic 4000. Also, the epson 8500ub comes with a longer standard warranty, something I value highly. With all that said, it looks like an easy choice in my mind. I recommend going with the 8500ub.

The path I went with was a bit different myself. I purchased a mitsubishi HC3800. It's far less expensive than the two you are considering, it has the greatest value in a projector in this price range that I could find. The reason I went with this projector is for the same logic you seem to. I assume that in the next 2-3 years the technology many of us imagine, 3d, extreme lamp life, zero convergence issues, and so on will be implemented into affordable projectors. So I'll hold onto my extra grand or so until when projectors have greater lamp life and those bells and whistles we all imagine to be so neat.

Who knows what greener grass we will be idolizing in 5 years in the world of projectors? Hah!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbartimaeus /forum/post/18202136

That price puts you close to the 8100 and yes there is quite a bit of technology difference between the two meaning the 6100 and 8500. Sounds like a good salesperson got ahold of you. Unless you got it for about a 1000 or less you could have done better.

JMO

BB - I managed to pick up the 6100 for well over $1,000 less than the 8500 (actually, it was closer to $1,500 less than the 8500). In my eyes, a very solid deal. Am curious to know if you've heard better though.

Pinjas - Was so tempted to go with the 8500. I know there are tons of threads already devoted to AE4000 vs 8500UB. I'll just keep the cash I saved by going with the 6100 on reserve until something truly groundbreaking comes out (and drops in price a bit).

And speaking of groundbreaking, are 3D and OLED really the only groundbreaking technologies on the horizon? By groundbreaking, I'm referring to jumps in tech like standard-def DVD to Blu-ray, or CRT to plasma/LCD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
what you might wanna do is pick up a cheap projector with lower bulb price, i think the optoma hd65/66 bulbs are about 200, and get a 1080p laser/led projector in the next year or so, they are suppose to have 30,000-40,000 hours on them

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushM3 /forum/post/18204151

BB - I managed to pick up the 6100 for well over $1,000 less than the 8500 (actually, it was closer to $1,500 less than the 8500). In my eyes, a very solid deal. Am curious to know if you've heard better though.

Pinjas - Was so tempted to go with the 8500. I know there are tons of threads already devoted to AE4000 vs 8500UB. I'll just keep the cash I saved by going with the 6100 on reserve until something truly groundbreaking comes out (and drops in price a bit).

And speaking of groundbreaking, are 3D and OLED really the only groundbreaking technologies on the horizon? By groundbreaking, I'm referring to jumps in tech like standard-def DVD to Blu-ray, or CRT to plasma/LCD.

I don't even know the specs of the 6100, but I say you did great. If you have not owned a projector before you will be thrilled for many months or years to come and I doubt you will have any urge or motivation to upgrade. I bought a MItS 1600 maybe a year or so ago even though many people were saying how 'bad' it was because it had a slight downgrade from the previous 1500 model. It's "only" a 720p projector also. My plan is/was to use it for maybe 1.5 years to 2 years and then get a panny 3000 when the prices were down to around $1200.

Oddly, even though the panny 4000 is out for $2000, vendors are still selling the 3000 for $2200+!? WTH?

Still, my projector is probably the last thing I feel the need to upgrade, it looks great. I could use a better screen and I'm currently getting in to HTPCs and server so that is where my money will go.

I think you did good to save that money and maybe you can put that in to a better screen if you don't already have a good one or in to your AVS system/speakers.

That's just me though, I'm not made of money and I really prefer buying behind the curve because it's much easier to see what the best product is after everyone else has used it and either complained about it or praised it.

Plus as you know you get a huge discount on the price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going to be ordering a Carada screen in the next couple weeks. Oh, and then there's the projector mount. And I still need my surround speakers, cabling, and an electrician to wire in some dedicated circuits. That's not even taking into account the slippery slope that is HTPC's. Oy! What did I get myself into?

Btw, I've had an Optoma HD72 since it came out - great projector! But I thought it time to upgrade to 1080p now that I'm building a dedicated HT. Besides, the offset ratio of the HD72 without lens shift just wasn't working for the room. Also have an Oppo BDP-83SE in the mail...

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are instances and I am about to purchase an 8500 for 1979 shipped. Even still a 8100 for 1499 MSRP minus rebate is still worth a couple hundred more than the 6100...but to each his own. I am sure you will still enjoy the 6100.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Right now is kinda a jacked up time to be looking for a projector. With 3D and HDMI 1.4 so close, it would seem hard to not wait for a fully 3D capable projector with hdmi 1.4 . Even if you don't currently have any interest in the whole 3D thing, just for the sake of futureproofing, it would be somewhat prudent..

The problem is, I'm not actually aware of any specific projector with 3D and HDMI 1.4 that is coming out any time soon. I know that in the summer there will be plasmas and lcd tv's that are truly 3D capable with hdmi 1.4, but I haven't heard of any specific projectors, and any kind of timeline of when they will arrive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts