AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the edge (looking over) of buying a front projector for my home theater. Since this will be a BIG step up (from my 36" Tube) I'm looking at a decent CRT or DLP.

My question is this, should I wait a few months for something "better" to come out, or should I get of my bum and improve my hometheater?

The reason I ask is that I keep reading about HD-2 and 3-chip DLP's and other advances and a big concern of mine is buying a projector and seeing that the next week (or month), dwin or seleco or some other company just released the next big thing (of course, I'm trying to stay between 15 and 20k, so this question may not even be valid in that price range).

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated (by the way, this is my first post, so go easy on me if this is a dumb question)! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I chose to buy something cheap now and start enjoying it. When something substantially better comes out I will look at upgrading. That way I get to enjoy now... and not put it off waiting for something "better" to come along.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Depends on what you're buying. If you're going D-ILA, buy now. DLP, wait for the HD-2 chip. There's already one projector with it out from HP and, although that is clearly a business projector with all the weaknesses thereof, it verifies the HD-2 will produce substantially better contrast and brightness. Once the HD-2 makes it into Marantz, Sharp, DWIN and Seleco in a few months, it will be time to buy.

LCOS? I'd let them work on that for a few more months. LCD? Although I own one, the Boxlight 38T, I wouldn't buy one now because my personal inclination is to switch to DLP with the fast colorwheel (out now) and the HD-2 (starting to appear). Of course, if the rumors about Sanyo making a quantum leap forward in contract/black of LCD are true, I might change my mine.

If you can't wait, get something cheap like the Piano or the AE100 and enjoy it for a year before trading up.

Dan

·
Registered
976 Posts
15-20k range.. Get a Runco.. I saw one and loved it.. It's most likely what I will be purchasing soon..

My opinion on when you should buy things is basically no matter what you buy these days something always better might come out hte next day.. If you wait you may be waiting a while.. Its getting like computers if you ask me..

Chris

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Except that we KNOW the HD-2 is coming. It's already showing up. Why spend that much money for a last generation projector that will be obsolete by late Fall?

These guys will implement the HD-2 quickly because it will probably not require a lot of hardware changes to the rest of the projector.

Dan

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
If you are ready, buy now.

I doubt the HD2 will make that much difference, and when it ships the HD3 will be on the horizon. That cycle never ends.

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
976 Posts
I havent read much on HD2.. what are the differences anyway?

Chris

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your budget minded. A 9" CRT or a DILA. Both looks good, I would proably lean towards the DILA for ease of use.

On the CRT field nothing big happends. So buy now. On the digital front the wind almost changing daily. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lots of people waited for the HD1 Chip...now more are waiting for the HD2 chip...well I heard they are also working of the HD3 Chip...better wait for it...no someone just said that the HD4 chip is on the drawing boards, so I better wait for it.... We all want the lastest and greatest technology/advancements... but with technology..."something better is already being developed"... I believe the biggest improvement was with the 16:9 HD1 chip... now they start the tweeking of it... tough decision, but when do you jump in and start enjoying the technology versus just looking at each new improvement in your local home theater store. JUMP IN, THE WATER IS FINE... (But the black levels could be a bit darker and the fan noise is too loudand I wish the electric cord was 5' instead of only 4')

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree.. Theres always gonna be something better.. If I knew that every single HD2 projector would be out tommorow then yea I'd buy one.. But to me knowing theyre coming and knowing they will be out say next week no questions asked are two different things.. The improvements dont seem to big to wait.. Ive seen projectors that have awesome Black/contrast levels and Im not sure how much more they could improve it.. I dont consider buying a HD1 projector buying somehting that will be obsolete.. Plenty of people will still be buying them..

Chris

·
Registered
142 Posts
erandmckay,

Considering your budget here is another vote for CRT. You can overcome all problems associated with CRT (perfectly dark room, hushbox, profesionally installed and calibrated) and still end up with a decent CRT. A decent CRT is future proof and will have no problem making next generation digital pjs look inadequate.

IMO the only reason to go with digital in that price range is if you have especial requirements like ambient light, moving the projector between locations, very large screen size etc.

kev

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Respectfully, Ron, you're full of it and you don't know your projector history either. The HD-2 is here now. Drastically higher contrast and light output have been reported. This isn't some pie in the sky situation like you imply.

There is no HD-3, where did you get that? And no, the biggest improvement wasn't the HD-1, it was coupling the HD-1 with much faster color wheels that made DLP usable without rainbow and headaches to almost everyone. That didn't happen until the last 6 months. And the manufacturers started making the 16:9 machines the HT crowd prefers. Those two factors raised DLP to a whole new level of acceptance. But there's still a basic problem--contrast is too low compared with CRT and brightness is too low as well. Both issues are addressed by the HD-2.

I see you just arrived here. Well, if you'd been around just a little more than a year ago, everyone was agog over the Seleco HT200. $9 grand. Where is it now? 16 months ago, all of these first generation DLPs were displayed with great fanfare at CES. The Yamaha. The first DWIN. The Infocus LP350. Practically every one cost from 6 to 10 grand plus you had to add a video processor for most of them. Where are they all now? Selling for 25 cents on the dollar, basically dead for HT, or both.

If anyone is going to compare projector technology to computers, they need to go back to the earlier days when the pace of innovation was so fast and major that each generation occurred every 6 months and each represented a quantum leap forward in power and speed. That's where we are with DLP.

However, just like computers where you start to reach a point of diminishing returns, we will be reaching that point with projectors IMO such that the focus in 2003 will start to shift to more cost effectiveness as opposed to great leaps forward. Let's face it, when you reach a contrast ratio of over 1000 on a 1500 lumen projector, throw in Faroudja processing and maybe DVI, you've reached the threshold of quality from which justifying a further move-up gets a lot tougher. Once you have technology at this level, the focus shifts to reliability and price. Just like computers.

My advice stands. Don't spend your money on an HD-1 DLP. Don't spend your money on a high priced LCD or for that matter, a high-priced anything. If you want to buy now, go with a used CRT or a budget projector like the AE100 that you can turn around and sell within a year without losing too much money.

Dan

P.S. to Chris:

If you've seen a Sony G90 with Faroudja processing then you know how much room there is to improve black and contrast.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ive seen a Runco DTV-1100 with the Faroudja DVP5000.. But what im saying is I'm fine with the blacks I saw out of the Runco VX1000 that i plan to buy.. They were black enough for me.. CRT is something I cant do in my situation... Everyones making it sound like people are making mistakes buying a Sharp 9000 or a Seleco 300 right now cause they are HD1.. Even after the 11HT came out I still thought about buying a 10HT... Theres always gonna be better technology than what you buy.. Whether it be better models, better brands.. better chips.. or better technology..

Chris

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, I didn't realize there were that many conflicting ideas about projectors. Originally I was going to go with a Seleco CRT, but really like the ease of use with the Sharp DLP. I guess my thought was buy the Sharp and pick up the Faroudja NRS. The biggest reason I'm going away from the Seleco CRT is that it seems like I would need "professional" help in terms of calibration, where as with the Sharp DLP I can calibrate it and tweak it myself.

Are CRT's really that hard to tweak? (that's what I have been told in the past).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Dan,

I personally think you are being a bit hard on Ron. He has an 'imaginative' way of expressing the wisdom that there will always be something new round the corner. However, as Cain has been posting for some time now and Sam Runco has been quoted on, HD2 will NOT be as bigger leap as HD1 was from the previous technology.

As an 'over the moon' owner of the HT300 I can tell you that the gap between CRT and DLP is closing fast. In fact most CRT's would have a job keeping up with the sheer sharpness and clarity of the latest HD1's, especially the Sim2 HT300. Erandmckay, you have luxury and the curse of choice. You can wait a for about a year while the manufacturers change over to HD2 to see if the improvements are right for you. Or if you are impatient to get going then I would strongly advise you go and have a look at the latest DLP's Marantz, Sharp, Sim2 and Dwin and compare to CRT. Then go for it. Good luck with your quest.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Premium Member
25,551 Posts
"There's already one projector with it out from HP "

The 1024x768 HP does not have the HD2 chip, which will be 1280x720. The mfgr's may not even have received them yet.

The improvements in contrast of the new XGA's is due to 12 vs 10 degree mirrors, which the HD2 will also have.

I must say I was caught by surprise by the sudden appearance of the new 12 deg XGA's.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.