AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading most of the threads about the new offerings and am trying to decide if I should upgrade my audio electronics (not speakers) now or wait for newer features (DVI switching, firewire,etc). I currently have a Yammy DSP A1 that is performing just fine. But, I do like to upgrade every few years :) and I'm starting to think about it now. I have about 5K to spend. Any advice or suggestions ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
DVI is a short-term interface so it isn't like that is the end-all-be-all.

The race for "the lastest and greatest" never ends.

Unless there is a very specific feature you know is coming out very soon, just buy now and be happy.

I recently bought a Denon 3803 knowing that the 3805 was half a year away or so. OK, so I don't have 7.1 DPL. Fine, I'm only running 5.1 anyway. Even if I had waited, the introductory price would be several hundred more than I spent on the 3803, so then I would wait ANOTHER six months. Guess what? Now the 3806 (or whatever) would be less than a year away and the viscious cycle would begin anew.

Bill

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
DVI/HDMI/ video switching will be available separately and does not have to be included in a receiver/processor. In fact they may be better implemented in a separate switcher, with less affect on the audio, not to mention money saved. The soon to be audio features I see worth upgrading to are: Firewire input for SACD/DVD-A, DPLIIx, and analog bass management for multichannel pass throughs (if you don't want to use the processor's DACs via the firewire input). Except for DPLIIx I don't know when these other features will become widely available.

Dsmith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.