AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been anxious to play this game for quite some time now, but am having a hard time deciding if I should go ahead and buy it on XB360 or wait until the PS3 version comes out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Buy it on 360, play it now.

It'll be the same game on the PS3, but it'll cost 60 bucks and you'll have to wait another month or so to play it. You can find it for the 360 for around 40 bucks.

Save the extra money, buy the add ons, play it, have fun.

Use the PS3 for Resistance and good looking movies. Use the 360 for Oblivion. You're lucky and get to choose between consoles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With all of the great 360 games, I have yet to pick this one up. Is there any word on an updated version being released that includes all of the extras? I remember reading somewhere about the PS3 getting an updated version. Is this the recently announced add-on or something more just for the PS3?

Thank you

·
Registered
625 Posts
The PS3 version will include Knights of the Nine. Thats about the only difference between the PS3 and 360 version content wise. Of course on the 360 you can download Knights of the Nine as well as a bunch of other add-ons at this very moment. I suggest once again that you go out and buy the damn game and stop waffling. No point in waiting, you're just hurting yourself by not enjoying this great game.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 /forum/post/0

I have SOOO much more to do/go in this game. I'm only at Skingrad (after walking from Imperial City). Just got my first recommendation to join the Mages guild.

Oh man, you have no idea what you are in store for. I feel like a father watching his kid open a present for his birthday. I know what's inside, and I know that the kid will love what's inside, and I can't wait to see the look on his face when he finally... opens... it... and... sees... how... wonderful... it... is...

Ironically I, too, haven't completed the game yet either, so my analogy doesn't quite hold. I'm 70 hours in, though, and have completed the Mages, Fighters and Thieves Guild quest lines, as well the Arena, and also lord knows how many random side quests and accidentally found Daedric shrines. I finally started the main quest last night and my jaw dropped when I first saw, and then entered, the Oblivion Gate. Even after 70 hours of gameplay I'm still in awe of how wonderful this game is.

Anyway enjoy it - this game is a blast! I know you haven't asked for tips, but I will tell you that getting your armorer skill past 50 is a huge advantage - making you able to repair magical items. Then you can enchant the crap out of all your armor and have all sorts of amazing "constant effect" enchantments to boost your character.

You have a whole world ahead of you!

As to the guy wondering if he should buy it now or later, the answer is to obviously buy it now. I realize the PS3 version will come with Knights of the Nine included, but it's $10 on XBL right now. And you can get the 360 version for $45 new (check the Tower Records sale), so even if you buy the Knights add-on, you still come in cheaper than the PS3 version. Plus you get the months of playing that you wouldn't have while waiting for the PS3 version.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBetterHalf /forum/post/0

I can't believe you don't have it yet. Yes run down to wherever right now, buy it, worship it. Best game ever!

Uh no. Oblivion is mostly hype and pretty landscapes. As far as a RPG it's quite broke. The skill system and level system is borked. Combat is easy, too many "I win" buttons. It has a good story and quests, but the core gameplay is just too lame IMO.

Wait for the PS3 reviews or buy it for the PC, which is the best version and cheapest.

The 360 version was very buggy too. It locked up about once an hour and I never could finish the last Oblivion gate, it crashed in about the same spot everytime. Maybe they patched it?

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBetterHalf /forum/post/0

I can't believe you don't have it yet. Yes run down to wherever right now, buy it, worship it. Best game ever!

Could not agree more. Great gameplay, great story lines, great skill scaling, super graphics, and so on. At 300 hours I had to take a break, but now I'm back in with the add-on downloads. I think I had about 4 lockups in 300 hours, but I save often anyway. If I was getting a lockup every hour like tgable, I'd feel different I guess.

Love the total flexibility of its free-form world. The only linearity is in brief conversations or major events

Oh, and I bought the PC version since my PC was feeling jealous, and I like playing the mods

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBO Possum /forum/post/0

Could not agree more. Great gameplay, great story lines, great skill scaling, super graphics, and so on. At 300 hours I had to take a break, but now I'm back in with the add-on downloads.

300 hours! I don't know if I could take it that long.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm currently at 70 hours and JUST starting the main quest. Between the main quest and the Dark Brotherhood (which I am saving for the end, lest I accidentally assassinate a NPC it turns out I needed to talk to), I expect to be fully complete with the game at 120 hours and couldn't be more thrilled with the time involved. In today's market where single player campaigns on some games last 12 hours, 8 hours or even 5 hours, a game that I can play for 120 hours and still experience new things is a very welcome breath of fresh air.

I just wonder if, after 120 hours, I would have the drive to put in 180 hours more! :)

Can I ask you this: considering your extensive experience, is there any particular quest, item, spell, NPC, location or storyline that you just thought was SO COOL or jaw-doppingly amazing that you can't imagine playing the game without experiencing it? Is there someone or something you did that you would consider a MUST DO for any Oblivion player? I want to make sure I don't miss out! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I finished all the quests and side quests except for a majority of the Daedric Shrines in 70 hours. Now with Knights of the Nine, I'm up to about 85 hours. One thing I read about the PS3 version is that it will probably not support downloadable content and only offer Knights of the Nine, not any of the other downloadable missions/areas. I don't know if this still true.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Things I have REALLY enjoyed...

Enchanting a bow with "Command..." such that it causes the target to fight on my behalf. To get this to work on very high level targets, I had to reduce the duration of the effect to say 3 seconds. So hiding in the shadows, I let off an arrow only when the target is near other bad guys.

Taking Martin and the long-lost twin brothers along as bodyguards. I'm not great at fighting, so need help. They claim not to be good fighters. Not true.

The unicorn. Getting it. Also, I took it on the main quest and made the mistake of dismounting during a conflict with the bad guys. That unicorn dislikes anyone with a weapon. Martin and Jauffre lost a lot of blood.

Enraging an innocent.

Finding a battle in progress and joining in.

The view from the mountains (where the wizard's tower is added).

Tricking a bad guy into following me over a cliff or other steep place, such that he dies and I just get injured.

Finding a countess almost naked in the wilderness running for her life. (Need to do the quest where the party loses its clothes first)

Picking pockets of important people.

Using remote manipulation spells to grab out-of-reach welkynd stones.

So I like the problem solving, the mischief as well as the actual quests

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBO Possum /forum/post/0

Enraging an innocent.

I laughed out loud. I feel like this is something I would really enjoy doing. Thanks for the tip.

I guess I missed out on the Unicorn mystique. I had accidentally wandered through the Unicorn's grove even before I accidentally found the Daedric Shrine associated with it. Some ogres attacked me, which I quickly dispatched, and then I noticed the unicorn attacking me. Well, having seen Legend starring Tom Cruise (before his Top Gun days) and Tim Curry as Satan, I know you're never supposed to kill a unicorn. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to stop attacking me, so I killed it and pocketed his horn. Fortunately for me it made the Daedric Quest a snap. Unfortunately for me, the unicorn lasted in the game for me for about 25 seconds.

Anyway, great tip about enraging people. Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know the exact date, but I recall reading that this was going to be a best seller title in the spring and thus retailing for $30. I have many games already that I am working on so I am waiting for the price drop and w/coupon getting it brand new for $25 at Best Buy.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.