Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently pretty happy with my equipment listed below

Panasonic 711UX 1200lumen 400contrast Economy mode 4000hr bulb 28db

LCD with MLA (WOW MLA makes the biggest difference!). XGA 1024x768 4:3 Only 330hours on the bulb and 2 years on warranty are left.

Distance from Projector to screen is ~13ft

Vultec Silver Star 103" 16x9 Deluxe with 3.25" velvet border(power-buy from Daniel)

HTPC (Radeon 9000 Pro), XBOX, Digital Cable

The problem is I can't mask my Screen and want to use the extra resolution. I could buy a Panamorph for ~$1000 or do you recommend the ISOII and increase my resolution/brightness this way to hold me over for another year and then hope for the native HDTV or DILA projectors come down to 6k-7k when another HDTV connection standard comes out.

or buy a BENQ8700 or Infocus H76 and sell my projector? The lack of contrast on my LCD really doesn't bother me.I can however see rainbows from DLP 1 chips. I also would like a projector with a sealed light path because of dust problems, DVI-HDCP is a must.

The NEC HT1000, or any XGA is not an option as I want increased resolution.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered the Epson TW1000 but it doesn't have MLA and I've seen some service concerns about it. Is there another one I'm missing?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Another solution (of course, the one I chose), would be a second hand G10 or equivalent and used Panamorph for maybe $2800. No dust blobs, highest resolution (except for JVC SX21), great image. Hot and noisy, though, so need either mounting away from seating or hushbox.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rmf - Thanks for the suggestion but the 400 contrast ratio I currently have is the lower limit for me, also I am really weary about buying a projector used on Ebay... I've been burned before with a dud.

But you are reading my mind. .the Powerbuy on the new JVC 21 Dila by AVS is really tempting..... But I would have to master the possibilities. If anyone still has suggestions and problems with the Panamorph setup with my projector please note it, as I am really leaning that way for right now.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Based on what you like and don't like about your current projector, I think the upcoming Sony HS20 looks like it would fit the bill nicely for you. Their Japanese press release (or whatever the document was) had some mention of how they have improved something about dealing with dust. However, I think something may have been lost in the translation.

--Darin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
darinp- The new Sony looks good on paper and If the Sony is close to the current 12 it will be tempting, the only thing is I'm getting a little impatient because of having a 16:9 screen, I'm not sure I want to wait till 2004, and I'm leaning toward the panamorph for now and later to be used for 2:35 material from 16:9.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cytocycle
I'm not sure I want to wait till 2004
I wouldn't wait until 2004 either. As soon as they went on sale somewhere in the world I would order one, but that is just me. I think the Panasonic AE500 might be a good choice, also.

--Darin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.