AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many people asking my advice about buying a plasma TV. My first reaction is basically two philosophies:

1) Don't buy an EDTV device, buy HD.

2) If you can wait 10 months - 1 year, prices will come down dramatically.

Most people indicate that they want to buy an ED Plasma, but for the cost they want it to last for 5 or 6 years. They also basically watch cable or dish with the occasional movie.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to approach this subject? If there are other threads that deal with this issue, please feel free to link them in a response. I did a search, but did not find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
441 Posts
The prices have started to come down dramatically for last year's models (2002, early 2003). Why don't you buy one of them? My point, and I am not trying to be sarcastic is, that with technology, there will always be a new something that will keep the prices near what they are now. Yes I believe that prices will come down, but no, I don't think they will dramatically. JMHO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the point I should have directly stated above is:

If someone wanted a display device that will last 5 or 6 years, shouldn't they be buying an HD compatible device?

If they view $3000 as their limit, will HD plasma displays come down in price within a year to around this range?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JNiemi
I guess the point I should have directly stated above is:

If someone wanted a display device that will last 5 or 6 years, shouldn't they be buying an HD compatible device?
If someone doesn't want to wait, an ED is a great solution to getting super quality at a fraction of the cost today, and it will easily last 5-6 years.

Quote:

If they view $3000 as their limit, will HD plasma displays come down in price within a year to around this range?
And a year after that the 50" will be more affordable, and in another year more features will be in that price range, and a year later "True HD" will be "entry-level", and a year after that 70+" screens and .... oh wait, why didn't I just get the ED 5 years ago?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
It has been stated that SD, whether cable or sat, looks better on an ED set than an HD one. It has also been stated that people prefer the composite hook up to the s-video hookup (I'm in that group).

I will vary with Prof Dave on his assertion that there will not be a dramatic decrease in price. When we purchased our ED set in April 2003 it cost ~$3,700, today you can get one with more connection types for sub ~$3,000. That's a decrease of roughly 19% for more inputs, speakers, etc.

IMHO, I believe that prices will continue to drop due to 1) competition from LCD and 2) the production process has become much, much better.

Tell you what wait another year then I'll sell you mine....almost free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.