AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a fair number of other Canadians on this site and I was wondering if most of them bought their projectors in Canada, or ordered them from US retailers or internationally? I want to get a projector for the best possible price, and it seems that much better deals are to be had in the US, but I also want a valid warranty. I am not asking about individual vendors or prices, but am merely curious what percentage of us Canadians look outside of Canada to purchase their projectors. For those that have purchased outside of Canada how have you dealt with warranty?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi!

I am a Canuck !!!

I oredered from "V" in the states and went through a hassle at the border becuase of greedy Canada customs.

Now, a local retailer in Canada, "C" carries the H57 which I purchased. The pricing works out to be $100 cheaper to buy in Canada, but I got a free bulb, vs. the "C" retailer who offers a free screen of 92". I definately got a better deal.

Both "V" and OPTOMA swore they would warranty my product if trouble should find me.

I would order from "V" again, and I hope enough Canadians put pressure on them to rework their international warranty statement.

Edit: Please visit our H57 thread for more info....

Will

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought from a Canadian online suplier. I really wouldn't want to deal with importing it, and then if something did go wrong, trying to get the thing fixed (again, dealing with the border each time across). I don't think you'd save all that much buying from the US by the time you pay the taxes, duty, taxes on the duty, shipping, etc.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm Global. I have imported from both the US and Japan and they are much simpler to do than explain. I cleared my own customs paperwork and that was so simple I will never use a broker again ... I didn't even have to fill out any paperwork ... the customs people do it. Now you have to stand in line for 5 or 10 minutes but to save the dough that the brokers take off the top it is worth the wait. Just make sure that the vendor stamps on the invoice "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS" or they by habit will sent it to their favourite broker.

By the way there ain't no duty on projectors from either the USA or Japan. And the only tax I paid is the GST ...

As far as warranty is concerned many of the goods today have international warranties. If I buy it in the States I can get it serviced back in Calgary under the manufacturer warranty ... not all of them no ... but some of them so you have to do your homework up front.

Even if I have to send it to the US to get repaired that isn't a big issue. Not only that I have found that some US warranties are not only longer than the Canadian equivalent ... but may cover more stuff (dead pixels for example).

The Sony HS50/51 seems to have a two year warranty in the USA but only one if purchased in Canada.

Go figure.

EDIT to add that one should remember to check out the prices on "stuff" with the sales guys at AVS who host this forum. I will just say that they are very competitive ... :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have done both as well. You need to check with the manufacturer on warrantry issues before you buy; most have 1-800 customer service numbers or certainly email and many offer NA warranties. As the above post suggests the main rip off can be brokerage fees because most of the courier companies will stick it to you. I would check with whoever is shipping your pj to see if self declare is an option; f its not avoid UPS, fedex has better rates and they may be others as well but most sellers only deal with one or tow shippers. Be sure and check with the main Cdn internet suppliers too; their prices are much better now than they were a few years ago.

Good luck

Peter

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig
Just make sure that the vendor stamps on the invoice "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS" or they by habit will sent it to their favourite broker.
How do you declare "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS" when you buy? Or is it something I need to communicate to the seller with email prior to buying?

I've been sheepishly paying UPS brokerage fees once in a while. Greatly appreciate if you can explain how to self clear custom.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbbqq
How do you declare "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS" when you buy? Or is it something I need to communicate to the seller with email prior to buying?

I've been sheepishly paying UPS brokerage fees once in a while. Greatly appreciate if you can explain how to self clear custom.
Those UPS Broker fees make me so mad ...

I will use the courier company DHL as an example to show you how I do it. Those guys at DHL were so professional and about my favourite as an international shipper. It took only two days for my last purchase to come to my city from Japan.

I can't even get stuff out of Toronto to Calgary that quick.

Have the vendor mark with big black letters right on the invoice "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS". The guys I have ordered from have a big rubber stamp ... they do this that often ...

That "SELF CLEAR" or "SELF CLEAR CUSTOMS" is what starts the whole process in motion. The invoice is the trigger.

When the goods hit my city they are impounded by DHL at their facility in a big lock up cage. I got a phone call that I had some stuff arrive and to come and get it.

The courier locations are generally fairly close to the airports. I drove right up there and they gave me a short stack of paperwork (maybe 6 or 8 pages) and a small photo copy map of how to get from their place to the Canada Customs building. Canad Customs was about 8 city blocks away. But rather than explain how to get there they had these small maps ... good eh?

I got to Canada Customs and walked to a short line up of guys getting boat licences and when it was my turn I just handed that pile of paper to the lady at the counter.

I stood there for maybe 5 minutes and made small talk as she looked something up in some kind of catalogue which gave her code numbers and out came the rubber stamps.

She stamped this and that and circled a few things with a red pen and then said "as a display device the projector has no duty owing" ... but I was to pay GST. She hands me the paperwork (which I still have not read) and points me in the direction of another wicket but this one had no line up.

This wicket had a young gal with a cash register and she did some math ... took my credit card and processed the tax.

When I was done I retracted my route back to the courier company DHL with that very same stack of paperwork but this time it had the Canada Customs stamp stating that the goods were cleared.

Back at DHL I simply handed the paperwork back to the impound persons and they got my projector and I was outa there.

Turn around time over all perhaps an hour ...

I wish someone had told me how easy it was years ago ...

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
my two projectors I have bought locally, and chances are will do the same with the next one, but I found out that if ordering stuff from the US ask for USPS, If I remeber correctly you end up paying a fixed 5$ fee + taxes. I can understan saving 5$ but my time (what did blitzkreig say 1h?) is more then that

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
my two projectors I have bought locally, and chances are will do the same with the next one, but I found out that if ordering stuff from the US ask for USPS, If I remeber correctly you end up paying a fixed 5$ fee + taxes. I can understan saving 5$ but my time (what did blitzkreig say 1h?) is more then that
For some reason most vendors don't seem to want to use the services of USPS. For small inexpensive items I wish they did. I tell them to just stick it in the mail but they don't offer that option.

But even if they did I don't think I would order a several thousand dollar item and have it delivered by the mail system. But maybe that is just me.

It would likely be quite some time to get something out of Japan using the services of the general post office ...

I always boils me that I have paid the minimum brokerage fees to UPS of $26.00 on a silly little $10.00 item that I had to order out of the States.

Worse ... I have even paid duty because the nitwits at the brokerage company thought that computer goods were not duty free ... but they are. Then you have to go to Customs and involve the broker to argue your case and get your dollars back.

So for the most part I find brokers incompetent and pricey to boot.

But to each their own.

Buying locally is good for the local economy but on electronics stuff I can usually save several hundred dollars ... on a projector I have saved over a thousand.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
But even if they did I don't think I would order a several thousand dollar item and have it delivered by the mail system. But maybe that is just me.
I think it is more inconvenient for them, doesn't UPS have pick up and stuff? We are also not talking normal mail

I tend to be a buy locally type of guy, but needed a ProntoPro quickly for work (that was 700 US at the time) because the procurement department messed up and ordered it on-line from the US with USPS with no problems

I am a firm believer that speakers and projectors need to be demoed first and personally I would not feel right to demo with the intent of buying on line for a cheaper price.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have nevered purchased online from the US before. Can someone share their experiences with what the typical costs are?

Say a Projector lists US$1,000 online (free shipping within US). What would my cost be in Canadian $ (approximately) to Toronto?

US Price: $1,000

Tax?

Duty?

GST?

Custom?

Shipping to Canada? (free within US)

Anything else?

Bottomline in C$?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blitzkreig,

In your post above, you mention that certain companies have global warranties. Can you share what you've found so far for projector companies e.g. Sanyo, Panasonic, Optoma, Infocus...?

Does anyone else know if any of the main projector companies honor warranties in Canada when bought in the US or Japan?

Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just as a guess, typically your $1000 US projector would cost approx. between $1500 and $1600 CDN when you factor in shipping costs, brokerage charge (typically $80 for $1000 US), and taxes (GST and PST). This does not factor in any applicable DUTY as I have never been charged any DUTY for any product I have ordered from the US (which includes amps, receivers, speakers, projector etc).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerwin
Blitzkreig,

In your post above, you mention that certain companies have global warranties. Can you share what you've found so far for projector companies e.g. Sanyo, Panasonic, Optoma, Infocus...?

Does anyone else know if any of the main projector companies honor warranties in Canada when bought in the US or Japan?

Thanks
I haven't had experience with them all but some of them actually post their warranty on the web ... but you should always call them and ask to verify.

Epson warranty is Global.

Sony is Global but they will only give you the lesser of the terms of the country of origin or local. And it is "best efforts" if they do not sell the same model in Canada. If you want you can ship to their repair facility in Larado Texas directly and get the more generous terms of the American warranty no problems.

NEC is North American not Global (as far as I know). NEC warranties terms are very very good and they have customer follow up which is top drawer.

These are just examples however and subject to change. So you have to check their websites for warranty terms and then as a double check phone them to confirm.

When I bought a projector in Japan I called Sony Canada and explained EXACTLY my plan and they explained very politely their terms. Just that simple.

Someone said that they would need to have something demo'd first. For me I wouldn't know what the heck I was looking for anyway, so I have never bothered. I review specifications and rely heavily on the advice of those who really know what they are talking about. I do the same with my computers. I don't need a demo. Just tell me what it does.

I think buying a screen or maybe speakers would be a different thing ... yes. But even my screen although I did buy it locally, I relied on the opinions of others and their reports. My local dealer didn't have it in stock and had to order it for me.

I probably would have bought it from AVS but the shipping on that big mother was a killer. By the time I got it here it wouldn't save me much.

But everybody is different ... to each their own.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I think Ontario has GST+PST, there should not be any duties, S+H depends on the store, you will also (unless you are your own broker or they include it in the price) have a brokerage fee charged by the transport company for clearing customs, and that depends on the transport company.

In other words I don't think any of us can give you a specific number

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just to put one last plug in for the hosts of this amazing forum AVS. They sell stuff too. Not only the sponsors ... but AVS themselves.

The guys are expert, prompt, and their value is as good as it gets in North America. They have an amazing reputation as well.

So I would always double check if even only by email ... and it helps support this site in a way.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have heard that there is a 6% duty on projectors designed for HT, rather than computer display. This would be worth checking with customs before ordering to be sure. Of course the clerk at customs may not know the difference or your supplier may write down digital display or something similar on the customs form.

As I said before it would be worth checking with the CDN dealers as well just to see if the US deals are significantly better.

Good luck

Peter

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth22
I have heard that there is a 6% duty on projectors designed for HT, rather than computer display.
They would be either "Catagory 4 or 5" which is amost anything that you might want to plug into the wall ... including "bread makers" to "curling irons" ... and "TVs to Vacuum cleaners"...

Here is a nice on line look up table and calculator if you like :

http://www.aacb.com/tools/dutytax.asp

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.