AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've been thinking about buying a new receiver and i've been doing alot of research. Right now i've come to the conclusion that i want Audyssey XT32, Preamp out's for 7.1 just in case i want to buy an another amp, and hdmi 2.0 or 2.2.

I was dead set on the Denon X4000, but it doesn't have HDMI 2.0. So i decided to go with the Marantz sr6009 or the Denon X4100. Only thing is, I know by next year all the receivers will have the new technology. So is it worth waiting, or should i just buy a decent receiver now i.e. sr6009/x4100.

My understanding is that even if I buy a receiver that doesn't support HDMI/HDCP 2.2, if I have a blu-ray player that does, I can just run the player to my t.v., and the audio from the player to my receiver.

If you think waiting is the best choice, i think i'll wait for the sr7009 to drop in price, or wait for the 2016 models to come out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and my budget is less than 1500, and i'm planning on using accessoriesforless because i've bought refurb equip before and it's worked great.

This is the start of a new build, so i don't have speakers yet. But i'm thinking about either Wharfedale Diamonds, Klipsch References, Paradigm, or whatever you guys think would be good. I plan on spending less than 2000 for speakers, and I think the SVS PB1000 will suit my needs for a subwoofer until I get a bigger living room.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention, I currently have(and have had since 2010) the SLS Q-line gold system. So no hdmi, and a crappy sherwood receiver. The speakers aren't bad, but 2 of the bookshelves have a blown speaker.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
You don't have to wait until next year. Almost all 2015 models will have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 port(s). It will likely take a while for refurbs to show up at accessories4less.

I've bought refurbs that worked great and I've bought some that didn't work out so great. It's hit or miss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the Denon X4100 and Marantz SR7009 are the 2014 models? Will they be releasing new models for 2015? If so, that means i'll have to wait at least another year for the 2015 models to show up refurbished on acc4less and god knows what problems they'll have. So my question remains similar, would it be more beneficial/cost effective to buy a Marantz SR6009 or Denon X3100 now, then upgrade 3 or 4 years down the line? I'm currently in Guam, leaving in February. I'll be at my next base for 3-4 years. So, i'm thinking, i upgrade now to a decent receiver, then in 3-4 years, i'll upgrade to the home theater of my dreams.

·
Registered
642 Posts
So the Denon X4100 and Marantz SR7009 are the 2014 models? Will they be releasing new models for 2015? If so, that means i'll have to wait at least another year for the 2015 models to show up refurbished on acc4less and god knows what problems they'll have. So my question remains similar, would it be more beneficial/cost effective to buy a Marantz SR6009 or Denon X3100 now, then upgrade 3 or 4 years down the line? I'm currently in Guam, leaving in February. I'll be at my next base for 3-4 years. So, i'm thinking, i upgrade now to a decent receiver, then in 3-4 years, i'll upgrade to the home theater of my dreams.
Access4less has all the 2014/2015 Denon refurb models for sale on their site. I bought a X3100W last month. Here is the X4100W. Its actually dropped in price by $60 since last month.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...mos-receiver-w/wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It would be very prudent to wait. The next generation of receivers will have all the features that are so a la carte now. You shouldn't have to wait too long, from what I read on the forums it looks like entry to mid-level will be announced at least in the next month or two with the high-end to be announced in the Fall time frame. I would at least hold on for the announcement, then you can decide if the new features are worth waiting for or if the current generation is good enough. I am sure prices will drop further for the current generation after the new models are announced, so it's a win-win if you are not pressed to buy something right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The fun part of CE is timing. Know what you need/want right now versus how long until your next upgrade. Manufacturers will always have that “One more thing…” next year. You can wait forever to have the “latest and greatest” (for this month) or you can find what fits the bill for the foreseeable future and start enjoying now. There will always be something newer and better and cheaper next year.

For instance, I have zero interest in 4K TVs for the next several years. The dust has just not settled enough for me to invest. So, I just bought a nice 65” HDTV (1080P) that I can enjoy for some time. I also recently purchased an older Denon receiver (4520) because it had more than enough bells and whistles for my needs, again for the next several years. I do not see myself needing Atmos or whatever for many years, if ever.

There are also blu-ray players that have 2 HDMI ports. One for the newer HDMI/HDCP and one that is backwards compatible with older equipment. I believe the thinking is that video would require the newer spec while the other port would output audio only. If I need to, I have that option as well.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
It would be very prudent to wait. The next generation of receivers will have all the features that are so a la carte now. You shouldn't have to wait too long, from what I read on the forums it looks like entry to mid-level will be announced at least in the next month or two with the high-end to be announced in the Fall time frame. I would at least hold on for the announcement, then you can decide if the new features are worth waiting for or if the current generation is good enough. I am sure prices will drop further for the current generation after the new models are announced, so it's a win-win if you are not pressed to buy something right now.
I for one jumped on the opportunity to buy 7200W for a fantastic price. Couldn't pass up...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I for one jumped on the opportunity to buy 7200W for a fantastic price. Couldn't pass up...
That's actually a great choice because that particular model will be upgradable to support HDCP 2.2 later this year.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
2.2 really only matters for 4k as far as I know. As such, there's next to no 4K media available, 4K bluray isn't even out, plenty of things like TV shows have switched back to DVD only with not even 1080P bluray support and the best looking TV's are still 1080P. 1080P wasn't a massive advancement over DVD and 4K only really matters if you have a huge screen and you sit close. It's just a jack from manufacturers to get people to upgrade.

I'd not worry about it. As you noted, there's a workaround if you ever really do need that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No big deal

I just went through these mental Gymnastics, as I just bought a refurb receiver.

To me 4k is useless, unless you have a 120" or larger screen and you sit 8 to 12 ft from it. This isn't in my near or probably distant future. Although 1080p is very much better than DVD. Also 720p is adequate.

I "think" Atmos will catch on, but not a certain thing. But, I am afraid that it will be a little like 7.1, while 7.1 movies exist, there are a lot of movies aren't 7.1, but just 5.1. So, for 3-5 years, we probably won't miss much without Atmos. IMHO.

BTW, I bought the SR5009, so I could use an external amp to drive my inefficient L & R speakers. Hopefully it shows up any minute...

·
Registered
329 Posts
To me 4K is just a gimmicky as 3D in which there is no benefit to the overall experience. You really do need a 120 inch screen and sit very close to it to really see the benefit of 4K, and that certainly won't happen since TVs that large are impractical. There is also the fact that there is very little 4K content out there and it's just very difficult to support it.

I would go and get a receiver now while most of last year models from any brand are very cheap right now, and there is nothing wrong with getting a previous model at all. I wouldn't recommend a refurbish model at all when you can buy a new one with full warranty for just a bit more.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
To me 4K is just a gimmicky as 3D in which there is no benefit to the overall experience. You really do need a 120 inch screen and sit very close to it to really see the benefit of 4K, and that certainly won't happen since TVs that large are impractical. There is also the fact that there is very little 4K content out there and it's just very difficult to support it.

I would go and get a receiver now while most of last year models from any brand are very cheap right now, and there is nothing wrong with getting a previous model at all. I wouldn't recommend a refurbish model at all when you can buy a new one with full warranty for just a bit more.
If one doesn't want some of the later technologies and features...
Then YES U are absolutely correct last year's models are highly discounted and are great buys...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts

I totally agree with you on the 4k if you have a projector and a screen larger than 120 inches. If you have a projector, most likely your going for the movie theater type feel and a movie theater picture isnt as clear as a regular tv, and their not supposed to be. Im all about the sound more than the picture. I still have my Epson 8350 paired with a 163 inch screen and im good with that. Havent really felt the urge to move on to a new projector yet. I am keeping my eyes open on what new receivers come out this fall though. My next big step is to go with a 13.2 setup or whatever the number comes out to in Atmos terms or DTS-X terms. Definitely agree its over rated in the sense if you go over a certain size and have a projector. Rather have a softer picture with a super great audio setup instead. Once you go with a projector, theres no going back to a small tv lol.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
UHD offers a lot more than more pixels. There's 10/12 bit panels which can display more colors. There's HDR which greatly increases contrast. Also, HDCP 2.2 isn't just a simple new feature. It will be required for all copy protected content. Maybe now just UHD blu-ray will require it, but eventually everything on cable/satellite will require it. Not getting a HDCP 2.2 port is like not getting an HDMI port when HDMI came out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so if i'm not interested in passing video through my receiver, i can pretty much disregard the whole hdmi/hdcp 2.2 hub bub correct? If so, i can get all the features I want out of the x4000 or 4520ci and just run video from my blu-ray player straight to my t.v.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts