AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

It has been a long time since posting here. Having purchased my PE8700 5 yrs ago, I tried to stay away so I would not develop "evolutionary regret" with all the new toys coming out.

Sadly, my trusty PE 8700 just died and my WIFE wants a new one! Hard to get on a treadmill without something to watch
Now I'll need to get a 1080p projector!

Rainbows did not bother me on the 8700 although I occasionally saw it. However, at times I would get some eyestrain. I do like the smoothness of DILA on JVC but price is just a bit more than I want to pay. SXRD seems similar but I CANNOT find a Sony to actually demo here in Vancouver, Canada.

Hence - with a very good deal on an HW10 avail. to me for another 3 days, do you think it would fit the bill?

1. Currently have a Da-lite Video Spectra 106' at 11 feet. Seems to just fit in for throw. Good combination?

2. Anyone move from DLP to SXRD if I will loose sharpness or will things be so different moving into 1080p from regular DVD. Yeah... I'm a bit behind... I guess it is time to buy a blu-ray player.

3. I have a chief mount with an RPA-U. It seems to be the ok for the HW10 as well. Can anyone confirm?

4. Or, am I just crazy and should hold off until I see it/wait for CEDIA/etc...

Thanks in advance!

Wooe

·
Registered
554 Posts
hi Wooe....check out my recent posts, but i was just in a very similar position. moving from a 5 yr. old Dwin TV3 (720p) to the Sony HW10. My advice is to go for it. Specifically to your concerns:

1.) sony pj has very flexible placement options, and should accomodate your throw.

2.) yes..buy blu-ray. i switched my xbox 360 to PS3. detail is awesome. and like me, being 5 years as a rip van winkle, todays "cheap" HW10 is stunning relative to what we were picking over in 2004.

3.) i bought that exact mount and fits perfectly.

4.) do NOT wait....i got mine a few weeks ago for an extremely good price from a legit sony reseller and love it.

THE BEST THING....may apply to you with older dlp: the Sony is silent. makes a big difference when listening to music, or when dynamic range is wide. the lack of noise and heat are big plusses.

i am not saying this hw10 is objectively the best at its price, buts it's really close to the undisputed king RS2 at half the price...and competes head-on most likely with the Panny 3000.

besides, your wife might change her mind!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robster1958,

Thanks alot for your thoughts!

I ended up pulling the trigger on one today - funny thing was that when I got there, they had screwed up and did NOT have one in stock as they thought. They DID however offer to sell me the Panny ae3000 at a "good price" near the HW10 price point. I declined however as I, irrationally or no, did not want an LCD projector. I know that the SDE has largely gone away but just couldn't help it. I also picked up a Sony BDP S550. I guess it is the right time to buy "end of season" Sony since CEDIA is coming up. Better not follow that too closely or I'll regret this...

Yes, I completely agree with you as well... it has come a long way since 2003/4. What a difference now that I can afford a "cheap" SXRD!

By the way, did you find that SXRD is less a strain on the eyes and gives you a smoother picture compared to your older DLP?

Cheers,

Wooe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts