AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a nice HD cam with an separate dial for focus. I've found the Canon HF S100 can be bought for $650, but the replacement, the HF S200. is going out next month with a MSRP of $1000. I can't afford to pay $1000, but I can afford $650. The question is, should I wait for the S200 to come out and hope to buy it for about $650, or is the S100's price currently artificially low because it's about to be replaced? Should I hold out or go for it now? Which model?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am wondering about the same thing, except I am considering also the hf s10 & 11 vs the hf s20 & 21. 24p would be something worth waiting for, the touch screen LCD seems like it would be really cool, and on the hf s21 there is a viewfinder other than those few things... you could probably get the older model, which is almost as good for a good price.

Anyone else care to give some input?

·
Registered
149 Posts
It depends on what kinds of shooting you'll be doing. If it's in mostly well-lit areas, I think the S100 is a better deal, especially if you're cash-strapped as it appears you are. If it's in low light, the S200 has some improvements over the S100, especially if you set the frame mode to 30p, although neither appears to be outstanding in low light.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Due respect but by your own words you have said that you can't afford $1000. If you can't afford $1000, then the question is moot. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to buy an HF S200 for HF S300 to ship.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfoo /forum/post/18260567

I am wondering about the same thing, except I am considering also the hf s10 & 11 vs the hf s20 & 21. 24p would be something worth waiting for, the touch screen LCD seems like it would be really cool, and on the hf s21 there is a viewfinder other than those few things... you could probably get the older model, which is almost as good for a good price.

Anyone else care to give some input?

Well I've played with the nicer camcorders down at Fry's Electronics, and I can tell you that touch screens can be annoying at times. That's why I'm so interested in the custom dial, you can feel exactly how much it's changing instead of jabbing your finger at a screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum /forum/post/18260625

It depends on what kinds of shooting you'll be doing. If it's in mostly well-lit areas, I think the S100 is a better deal, especially if you're cash-strapped as it appears you are. If it's in low light, the S200 has some improvements over the S100, especially if you set the frame mode to 30p, although neither appears to be outstanding in low light.

I'm going to be shooting in "normal" everyday places, and if I shoot in low light places it's likely not that dark I suppose - I live in LA country where the sky glows blue at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer /forum/post/18260906

Due respect but by your own words you have said that you can't afford $1000. If you can't afford $1000, then the question is moot. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to buy an HF S200 for HF S300 to ship.

Thank you, and yes, I am relatively broke
. Thing is, I haven't watched camcorder prices for a long period of time, so I didn't know if stores always sold those camcorders for much cheaper than Canon's MSRP, or if the camcorders are just cheap now because of the new models. Would you recommend buying now, or waiting until after the S200 comes out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts