AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

buy without seeing...

1025 Views 23 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  NewToHT
I'm curious how many people have purchased projectors without actually seeing it in action? And if the projector met your expectation? I've done a bunch of research. I think I'm going to get an Panasonic L500. I've read everything I can on it, but don't know where to go to actually see one! Its just a decent amount of money to drop down on something I haven't seen with my own eyes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
I bought a Panasonic AE700 sight unseen except for screenshots on this forum. Of course I did research the X1, H30, 4805 and AE700 for almost a year here before pulling the trigger.

I could not be happier with my purchase - and don't forget the $200 rebate on the 700 starts tomorrow - bringing the price under $2000. Jump on it if you can.
well.. its tough not seeing it first hand.

Buy from a place with a good return policy. That way, if you feel disappointed with your purchase, you can always return/upgrade it with little risk.
Quote:
Originally posted by WallyBR
I bought a Panasonic AE700 sight unseen except for screenshots on this forum. Of course I did research the X1, H30, 4805 and AE700 for almost a year here before pulling the trigger.

I could not be happier with my purchase - and don't forget the $200 rebate on the 700 starts tomorrow - bringing the price under $2000. Jump on it if you can.
I just bought the AE-700 sight un-seen and am very happy with it.

Just buy from a reputable dealer. (like Jason Turk here at AVS)

I would imagine this pj is real cheap with the added rebate. If I would have only waited another few weeks!!! Ugh!

Craig:)
See less See more
I bought mine sight unseen. I was able to go to a local store and see both LCDs and DLPs - i objected to the screen door effect of the LCDs and did not see rainbows so went with a DLP - YMMV. I would recommend, unless you're already figured out which technology to go with, to at least narrow down the choice between LCD and DLP before you pull the trigger on an order.
I will get either a dlp or lcd, but I don't have really any stores near me, that I'm aware of, in the Pocono's of PA to go and see a demo.
I got my Pany AE700 sight unseen. Did about 2 months of research, and got from a good place.. I also recommend Jason Turk from AVS. Alot of time, you just got to take peoples words and reviews for some products... You wont always be as happy as other, but mostly you will..
2 years ago, I bought an X1 sight unseen from an AVS sponsor. I made sure they had a good return policy and took a chance.

A few reasons why this worked out for me..

- The X1 was very highly regarded at the time, especially for an entry level projector. Good reviews. Yeah, it's kinda weak to go by what other people say, but if you have to, go with what other people say is good.

- There was really only 1 other PJ in the same price range, the Z1. I picked the 'newer' technology (DLP). The fact that InFocus is a US company, with US tecnology (TI DLP) helped too. For all I know, the Z1 is better. Never saw one.

- It was replacing an old 41" SD RPTV. I still don't have HD where I live.

- I was blown away by the picture size, perfect convergence, and lack of interlacing lines. My pet peeve about SDTV is the interlacing. I always see that. Also the convergence of the CRTs in the old RPTV annoyed me.

- I have never seen a high-end system, so I don't know what I am missing.

Still happy with mine..
See less See more
Quote:
I would imagine this pj is real cheap with the added rebate. If I would have only waited another few weeks!!! Ugh!
No matter what we do there is always gonna be that rebate just around the corner or a price drop, why you think im still waitin to buy my PE7800 :D
Quote:
Originally posted by dapdrums
I will get either a dlp or lcd, but I don't have really any stores near me, that I'm aware of, in the Pocono's of PA to go and see a demo.
Hello dapdrums!

I'm located right next to Wilkes-Barre. The only place I know that sells projectors, other than Best Buy/ CCity, is a store in Kingston that sells Infocus projectors. I don't know if they demo since I have never been there but assume they do.

Going back to topic it is a little nerve racking to pick something you have never seen before or can compare. I'm currently in the same spot with the Ae700 and Z3.
BlackriderX.

Nice to find another somewhat local person interested in HT. From a few of your other posts, it seems like we are at similar stages of setting up our HT. I purchased the AE700 on Friday and hopefully it will be here Thursday. Would you like to kabitz via email (instead of the forums?). Shoot me off an email. [email protected]
Hmmm, all this talk about buying from Jason at AVS - I think I emailed him & he said they are no longer selling it.
Quote:
Originally posted by dapdrums
BlackriderX.

Nice to find another somewhat local person interested in HT. From a few of your other posts, it seems like we are at similar stages of setting up our HT. I purchased the AE700 on Friday and hopefully it will be here Thursday. Would you like to kabitz via email (instead of the forums?). Shoot me off an email. [email protected]
No problem Dave. I'll send you an email later tonight as I'm at work now.
I'm at work too. ...Get many hours of quality websurfing done there!:p look forward to hearing from you.
I bought the x1 sight unseen this past summer when they were having a $100 rebate (right before the x1a was announced, I think). Like bholio, I went off of its reviews, both professional and otherwise, including technut's great faq. I'm very satisfied with it -- frankly I love it -- even though I know I tempt myself to upgrade by lurking here. I still see rainbows every now and then, but I've purchased a ND filter and hope that will eliminate the last of them.

It's a bit nerve-wracking, buying without seeing, but you can put yourself somewhat at ease by examining how much the projector you're considering is selling for on ebay--if you buy it and dislike it so strongly that you would prefer to sell it and get a different one, you can probably get a large percentage of your purchase price back (keep the receipt so you can prove your short lamp-hours are legit).
I bought my AE-700U sight unseen, too. I HAD seen a few other projectors in action and noted their picture qualities and noise levels. Then, all I did was use that knowledge as a basis for determining what the AE-700U was capable of according to reviews and comments on sites like projectorcentral and here.

So, if the majority of comments regarding the AE-700 was that the PQ was better than such and such model or that it was quieter than such and such model, well, I knew what that probably meant if I had already seen such and such model.

After that, it was all about bells and whistles; vertical and horizontal lens shift, zoom range, expected lamp life, exhaust fan placement, etc.

I made the right choice. There have been a couple of glitches with the HDMI firmware upgrade/white flash issue, but that all seems to be taken care of now and overall it was the best home theater purchase I've ever made, sight seen or unseen.
I bought the Hitachi PJ-TX10 unseen, though I could have as there were some local stores that had them on display. But I had done enough research (in these forums) to find out what kind of product I'm interested in. Plus, also beware that most show rooms and display units are not setup/calibrated properly to give a sense of what one can expect at home.

I would have purchased the AE700/HS51 if I could afford them, unseen. Many other have purchased this projector unseen, and they haven't regretted their purchase.

You just gotta decide which technology, features, and price range you're most interested in, then just spend the money. It's well worth it. The AE500 is a good 720p machine, if you can get it cheap, it's even sweater. Find out what other products are selling within this price range. Then make a decision.
I bought a BenQ PE7800 unseen from Jason Turk AVS after researching projectors for well over a year waiting for the savings account to grow. I finally pulled the trigger and couldn't be happier with my purchase. The reviews were spot on, so I knew what to expect before it arrived and have not been disappointed.
I bought the Infocus 4805 unseen and coouldn't be happier with the otb settings. Just a few slight THX tweeks for contrast and bhrightness, then an HAYO ND2 filter madean impressive picture sharper and more film-like. Currently we are on the coffee table with a 76" diag. sceen, but soon to be odering a 92" diag (80" x 45") and ceiling mount. the pj.,, maybe next week. Never had SD issues with this unit. Can be calibrated to look like a plasma diplay buy I prefer the film look and feel, which this pj does extremely well.

I also did severel months researching and found that for me, I'd decided to buy a very good entry pj... and that is the 4805. MANY people have picked up the 4805 site unseen, and love them

IMO, if you research the forum here, find something you like and educate yourseft on that item, you will be happy with your site-unseen pj when you get it home. My expectations were exceded otb.
I bought my 4805 unseen (although I was able to demo an X1) from crutchfield.com because they had no hassle returns and they even paid for the return shipping if I didn't like it. I hear AVS does the same thing here as well.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase. But if it doesn't meet your expectations, return it. For the $$$, you should get something that you love, not something you settle for.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.