AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying this TV has the best picture I've ever experienced or seen IMO.

That said, I purchased this set in November 2009. I have been experiencing intermittant random power on off cycles, usually once or twice an evening for no apparent reason.

I updated the firmware and no change in the pattern. I wondered if my HDMI to the Sat box might be acting flaky but never pursued changing it out.

Yesterday the set did it's random power off on except it wouldn't power back on. The sound of a relay clicking inside the set was all there was. I changed power outlets, no change.

I opened a trouble ticket with Samsung (it's under warranty) then plugged the set back in after 30 minutes and it powered up.

I googled up the symptoms of this problem and was shocked at how many complaints on this issue there was for Samsung sets in the last two years. This seems to be a well known problem, at least it should be for Samsung and it's contracted technicians.

It remains to be seen what the fix for my set will be. I'm sure a Motherboard changeout is the typical fix but I wonder if Samsung knows or has made an attempt at fixing the problem during mfg? I am now also concerned about long term reliability, especially after warranty and it starts to cost me out of pocket.

Previously only purchased Sony TV's with no problems.

Sorry for the long rant but anyone experience this with the newer model Samsungs?

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrc /forum/post/18304330

Let me start out by saying this TV has the best picture I've ever experienced or seen IMO.

That said, I purchased this set in November 2009. I have been experiencing intermittant random power on off cycles, usually once or twice an evening for no apparent reason.

I updated the firmware and no change in the pattern. I wondered if my HDMI to the Sat box might be acting flaky but never pursued changing it out.

Yesterday the set did it's random power off on except it wouldn't power back on. The sound of a relay clicking inside the set was all there was. I changed power outlets, no change.

I opened a trouble ticket with Samsung (it's under warranty) then plugged the set back in after 30 minutes and it powered up.

I googled up the symptoms of this problem and was shocked at how many complaints on this issue there was for Samsung sets in the last two years. This seems to be a well known problem, at least it should be for Samsung and it's contracted technicians.

It remains to be seen what the fix for my set will be. I'm sure a Motherboard changeout is the typical fix but I wonder if Samsung knows or has made an attempt at fixing the problem during mfg? I am now also concerned about long term reliability, especially after warranty and it starts to cost me out of pocket.

Previously only purchased Sony TV's with no problems.

Sorry for the long rant but anyone experience this with the newer model Samsungs?

Part of the bigger picture is that Samsung sells more TVs world-wide than any other brand. Samsung has about 24% of the world-wide market. In the USA, Samsung and Vizio are the 2 biggest selling brands.

This means that there are more Samsungs in the field. So, with more of them out there, there will be more sets needing repairs.

According to the survey results from 118,700 LCD owners subscribing to Consumer Reports, Samsung is as reliable as any other brand, with about 3% needing repair in the first 3 years of ownership.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Spyboy has the right of it. The higher number of sets out there in circulation, the higher chance for people to experience issues/problems. Stands to reason...

Me personally, I really wouldn't label it as a "buyer beware" scenario.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda /forum/post/18306142

Spyboy has the right of it. The higher number of sets out there in circulation, the higher chance for people to experience issues/problems. Stands to reason...

Me personally, I really wouldn't label it as a "buyer beware" scenario.

I'm probably just being pedantic here, but it isn't that there's a higher chance, the chance stays the same - just plain more occurrences
If anything, the high number of Samsungs in the field just helps to ensure that the data on them is sound.

3% is a perfectly reasonable failure rate for electronics. That's actually quite good. Sucks to be the one guy out of thirty three (point blah blah blah) who has to get his set fixed, but I must say that I appreciate the OP's sacrifice for the rest of us who get to enjoy a quality product free of defect

To the OP, on a more serious note I hope that you have a satisfactory warranty or replacement experience, whichever road is available to you or you choose.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed /forum/post/18306218

I'm probably just being pedantic here, but it isn't that there's a higher chance, the chance stays the same - just plain more occurrences
If anything, the high number of Samsungs in the field just helps to ensure that the data on them is sound.

If you have more of something, while at the same time have less of something, statistically speaking there will be a higher chance to see issues or problems in the former batch.

I'm quite certain that you understand this. I see nothing wrong with being a self-proclaimed "doctrinaire" in a sea of anonymity. Everyone's a rock star on the internet these days anyway, so you're in good company.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
It seems more likely a power supply issue or excess heat buildup. IMO if it were the controls circuits mother/daughter board you'd have many more problems than random restarts unless somehow your getting excess heat buildup internally - LED's are on this and unlikely to generate much comparative heat like a CCFL but the circuits VP certainly can - much like a processor can on a PC can force intermittent on/off states or a trashed Xbox 360 three red rings of death. Just a guess but as others have stated Samsung easily the largest seller on the planet will likely have the most Support events also.

Samsung had an serious issue with this a year or so ago but only occurred about the first month of those panels debut and they issued firmware that corrected that event on that model line which wasn't the B8500.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Opened a ticket with Samsung on random power off/on issue. Having preordered and had some of the first inventory in Texas late last year on this TV, my warranty was 1.5 months expired. Samsung extended my warranty for this what I will guess is a board issue. while I am still waiting for the tech visit in a week, this support was appreciated. Keep in mind Samsung hotline was slow and took several calls as they were unable to locate my faxed receipt more than once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Samsung tech swapped two boards and resolved the issue under warranty 11 months after purchase. I am pleased. He was not too informative on what was wrong just that he needed to replace boards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts