AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, as you can tell from my post count and forum name...I'm new here.


I've been watching a 35" ProScan for the past 13 years, and since HD isn't available where I live, (a basement apartment in a complex that has its own dish based cable system) buying a HDTV wasn't in my plans. Well, the old ProScan is starting to fade away, so it's time to replace it.


For that past couple of weeks I've been reading every thread in this forum and going to the local stores watching the TV's. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-40S3000 this past Saturday, ordering one from Wally World's online store and having it shipped to my local store.


Now I have a case of buyer's remorse. I was at Wally World today getting new tires, so I was hanging around the TV department while my car was serviced. I don't think I will be happy with a 40" set
I know technically it's larger than my 35", but the 40 just seems so small because the height is shorter than my 35. Does that make sense? They had two Philips sets on display, a 47" LCD (47PFL5432D/37) and a 50" Plasma (50PFP5332D), and I fell in love with both of them. As I watched that 50" plasma, all I could think of was how cool it would be to watch Michael Palin's "Himalaya" on it!!! I think I want one of those instead...especially that 50



Eventually I'll move somewhere that I can have HDTV, but for now it's SD and my DVD's. (I did order an upconverting DVD player FWIW.) My viewing distance is 8-10 feet, light glare isn't an issue, I don't watch much sports, upconverted DVD picture quality is more important than SDTV, and I don't own a game console. Am I crazy, or should I stay with the Sony?


Thanks for listening!!!


PS- My budget is topped at $1500, and I'm reluctant to order online from a place like Amazon or Fry's. (I'm afraid of getting a lemon and having to deal with that.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Personally, I don't think it's that big of an upgrade size wise. Especially if you will be watching in 4:3 mode if your area doesn't have HDTV. I'm sure you can find a nice 50" plasma for your budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
going from 40-50 is a big jump. ig you got the room go for it.


i wouldn't be afraid of online stores if it's amazon.


if you bought anything 42 or over at bb for example you cannot return it directly to the store. you'll go through the same return process as if you bought online.


not sure about wally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,717 Posts
I'd try to make a 50" fit the budget.


Wally World =Walmart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob53 /forum/post/12890380


Hey y'all, as you can tell from my post count and forum name...I'm new here.


I've been watching a 35" ProScan for the past 13 years, and since HD isn't available where I live, (a basement apartment in a complex that has its own dish based cable system) buying a HDTV wasn't in my plans. Well, the old ProScan is starting to fade away, so it's time to replace it.


For that past couple of weeks I've been reading every thread in this forum and going to the local stores watching the TV's. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Sony KDL-40S3000 this past Saturday, ordering one from Wally World's online store and having it shipped to my local store.


Now I have a case of buyer's remorse. I was at Wally World today getting new tires, so I was hanging around the TV department while my car was serviced. I don't think I will be happy with a 40" set
I know technically it's larger than my 35", but the 40 just seems so small because the height is shorter than my 35. Does that make sense? They had two Philips sets on display, a 47" LCD (47PFL5432D/37) and a 50" Plasma (50PFP5332D), and I fell in love with both of them. As I watched that 50" plasma, all I could think of was how cool it would be to watch Michael Palin's "Himalaya" on it!!! I think I want one of those instead...especially that 50



Eventually I'll move somewhere that I can have HDTV, but for now it's SD and my DVD's. (I did order an upconverting DVD player FWIW.) My viewing distance is 8-10 feet, light glare isn't an issue, I don't watch much sports, upconverted DVD picture quality is more important than SDTV, and I don't own a game console. Am I crazy, or should I stay with the Sony?


Thanks for listening!!!


PS- My budget is topped at $1500, and I'm reluctant to order online from a place like Amazon or Fry's. (I'm afraid of getting a lemon and having to deal with that.)

I hate to tell you but if you watch 4:3 on a 40" widescreen you will actually be watching a smaller picture than you are now with your 35" CRT. A 40" widescreen yields a 33" 4:3 picture. You can compare with this link. http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-4.html?tag=lnav
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/12892594


I hate to tell you but if you watch 4:3 on a 40" widescreen you will actually be watching a smaller picture than you are now with your 35" CRT. A 40" widescreen yields a 33" 4:3 picture.

To everyone, thanks for all the help. The 40" in 4:3 is exactly the issue I am concerned about. WalMart's return policy is that I have to pay for return shipping, and unfortunately they won't let me cancel the order even though they haven't shipped the item and as of last night haven't charged my credit card. If I can return the 40" at a reasonable price, I will. Then hopefully I can still get the 50" plasma Panasonic from Fry's that they're selling for under $1300. That's the set that I really want, but I'm still leery about buying from someplace that doesn't have a physical store nearby. Thanks again for all the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a side note...does anyone here know for certain what WalMart's return policy is? I've been emailing their Customer Service and not having much luck getting specifics. All they keep telling me is that the return instructions will come with the TV. I'd kinda like the instructions BEFORE I get the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob53 /forum/post/12895303


To everyone, thanks for all the help. The 40" in 4:3 is exactly the issue I am concerned about. WalMart's return policy is that I have to pay for return shipping, and unfortunately they won't let me cancel the order even though they haven't shipped the item and as of last night haven't charged my credit card. If I can return the 40" at a reasonable price, I will. Then hopefully I can still get the 50" plasma Panasonic from Fry's that they're selling for under $1300. That's the set that I really want, but I'm still leery about buying from someplace that doesn't have a physical store nearby. Thanks again for all the help.

You don't have to ship it back. You can return it to any Wal-Mart store, it shouldn't cost you anything but your time and gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
If they won't cancel the order even though they haven't charged you and they haven't shipped it yet, then tell your card company not to honor the charge and tell Walmart you will not accept the delivery. I would think that what Walmart is telling you is not even legal. How can they hold you responsible for a purchase that hasn't even technically happened. You have not exchanged a product or money...ie no transaction.


For the record...get the 50". There are a number 50" tv's in your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Or as long as they haven't posted the transaction yet, lose your credit card and report the loss to your card issuer. That will stop 'em dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
I went through the same thing trying to decide between 42" and 50" to replace my 36" CRT in the bedroom. Im glad I went with the 50" as it seems to be a perfect size.


Reading the Walmart website it looks like you have 90 days to return your TV. If you have a Walmart near you just load it (carefully) into your car and take it back. A 40" shouldnt be that hard to handle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f /forum/post/12933547


I went through the same thing trying to decide between 42" and 50" to replace my 36" CRT in the bedroom.



Why on earth anyone would want that big of a TV in their bedroom is beyond me? I had a 42 in my bedroom and replaced it with a 32in. To each is own i guess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INOALL /forum/post/13356694


Why on earth anyone would want that big of a TV in their bedroom is beyond me? I had a 42 in my bedroom and replaced it with a 32in. To each is own i guess...

32" seems to be the right size for me as well. Due to viewing distance, my 32" in the bedroom seems bigger than my 42" in the living room. Of course if someone has a huge bedroom then they can enjoy a larger set.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top