AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my entire home theatre system and am dissapointed with the sound when listening to music. The system I replaced consisted of a couple of floor speakers that I build myself back in the mid-90s and I always loved the full rich sound they gave me when I listened to music. My new system consists of:

Samsung 46" LED TV

Onkyo TX-SR806 receiver

Harman Kardon HKTS18 speaker system

These new little speakers just have no bass and the subwoofer sounds like the thump, thump sound coming from the young kids car going down the street. Needless to say I have a little buyers remorse!! Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area with no audio store to go to listen to speakers - the closest Best Buy is 3hrs away. So I read a few reviews and the Harman Kardons looked nice so I thought I would try them. They do sound pretty good when watching a movie but really lack that full rich sould when listening to music. I am wondering if I could just replace the two front speakers with a couple of nice floor speakers?? Or should I just replace all of them? I am open to suggestions at this point. I would say that I use my system 75% of the time for movies & football and 25% for music.

thanks

Kurt

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
So I read a few reviews and the Harman Kardons looked nice so I thought I would try them.

Sorry to read abot your disappointment, Where did you read the reviews? In a HTIB forum?

Those forums suck for objective opinion. I would have been the first to tell you that small speakers should be never used for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What you bought is HTIB (home theater in a box) type of speaker system. Good for entry level movie watching, but far from good for music. Those mains have 3" drivers in them - not even enough to produce proper vocals, which means the sub is expected to produce them, and you really don't want the sub to be anywhere near the vocals.

Getting two new fronts will make it better for music, but will screw it up for movies as the three front speaker will no longer be timber-matched which will detract from the movie-watching experience. I'd say get rid of this crap and start from scratch (keep the receiver).

·
Registered
4,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldo37 /forum/post/17036798

I just replaced my entire home theatre system and am dissapointed with the sound when listening to music. The system I replaced consisted of a couple of floor speakers that I build myself back in the mid-90s and I always loved the full rich sound they gave me when I listened to music. My new system consists of:

Samsung 46" LED TV

Onkyo TX-SR806 receiver

Harman Kardon HKTS18 speaker system

These new little speakers just have no bass and the subwoofer sounds like the thump, thump sound coming from the young kids car going down the street. Needless to say I have a little buyers remorse!! Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area with no audio store to go to listen to speakers - the closest Best Buy is 3hrs away. So I read a few reviews and the Harman Kardons looked nice so I thought I would try them. They do sound pretty good when watching a movie but really lack that full rich sould when listening to music. I am wondering if I could just replace the two front speakers with a couple of nice floor speakers?? Or should I just replace all of them? I am open to suggestions at this point. I would say that I use my system 75% of the time for movies & football and 25% for music.

thanks

Kurt

I think you should have a rough "Dream system" roadmap, stick with the system you have, and upgrade them piece by piece as time goes by.

Trying to upgrade the whole system in one fell swoop pushes the wallet and compromises the quality of speaker you can afford.

If you're feeling your music is the component that's truly lacking, your idea of upgrading the front left and right is probably a good idea.

Don't automatically assume floorstanders=better by the way. Should you ever upgrade your sub in the future, you could buy a higher quality pair of bookshelfs that will help your music shine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can you return the HK setup? If so that would be step one.

If you can you could check out Jamo or The Speaker Company for reasonable priced towers.

Or you could replace the front 3 with a matched set like this and keep the rest of what you have. You could use the extra speakers for a 7.1 setup.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144979//

At some point you'll probably want to replace the sub too, so returning the HK would be the best bet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
kurt where are your old diy speakers

use them on the "b" speaker selector and use the satalites on "a" selector

when listing to 2 channel turn off sub

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence99 /forum/post/17036954

Best advice yet!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally Posted by lawrence99

Best advice yet!

A variation on this theme: You can perhaps replace the fronts with your old speakers and select a mode on your receiver to listen to music on a 2.0 or 2.1 basis. That way, when playing movies, your bigger fronts remain the left/right speakers should you so choose, and you have a 7.1 system for movies.

I use the HKTS-14 set (forerunner to the HKTS-18) for surround purposes, and have calibrated the sub via placement and crossover so it is not boomy (the sets have slightly different subs, however, so I cannot speak directly as to the "18" model). This is also much easier to do (with any sub, frankly) when crossing over to larger fronts like the ones you built (as well as my Revel M22s), than to small satellite speakers. In any event, I would never expect satellite speakers such as these to replace the fronts you built.

In terms of movie surround sound, unless you have a very neutral, treated or dedicated home theater space, you may find, as do we, that the HKTS system is fine for movies. Of course, should you find the HKTS center speaker insufficient (even after boosting it a bit volume-wise relative to your larger fronts) you could simply disconnect it and use the fronts as a phantom center. My HK receiver equalizes the sound such that the supplied center works well for us (with a touch of additional boost on my part).

As for the timbre matching issue, it is fine in theory, but in light of the rather modest amount of significant surround effects in films, and the messy sound dynamics delivered by most family rooms and living rooms, you may find the need to match your speakers unnecessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I sold my old speakers. I was really wanting to start over and upgrade the whole system so I sold everything. I bought the HK speakers from Amazon.com so I guess I could return it but it was such a pain getting the rear satellite speakers mounted that I am not sure I want to go through pulling them down and re-boxing everything. What I was thinking was to use the two front satellite speakers in the rear for a 7.1 setup and then find a couple of different front and center channel speakers that would sound better for music. I agree that upgrading the whole system at once sure took a bite out of the wallet but I have been saving for quite a while so I was ready for it. Are there bookshelf speakers that provide a full rich sound like what I am used to from my old diy speakers??

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldo37 /forum/post/17039976

Are there bookshelf speakers that provide a full rich sound like what I am used to from my old diy speakers??

Without knowing the specs of your DIY speakers (which you probably don't know either), it's difficult to answer that. Most likely the answer is 'no'. Due to its size, a bookshelf speaker can't offer as wide of a frequency response (down low) as a floorstander. But it depends on the size of your room, too. In a small room, some bookshelf speakers with 6.5" drivers can provide a rather full music listening experience down to about 40-45 Hz. This was the case with my Monitor Audio B2. When I used to live in a small apartment, using them for music did not require any additional help from a sub. But as soon as I moved them to a larger room, their low end response drowned.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you can do DIY, why not build another set? There are some great designs out there that require minimal trial & error from you, and the price will certainly be right.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldo37 /forum/post/17039976

Unfortunately I sold my old speakers. I was really wanting to start over and upgrade the whole system so I sold everything. I bought the HK speakers from Amazon.com so I guess I could return it but it was such a pain getting the rear satellite speakers mounted that I am not sure I want to go through pulling them down and re-boxing everything. What I was thinking was to use the two front satellite speakers in the rear for a 7.1 setup and then find a couple of different front and center channel speakers that would sound better for music. I agree that upgrading the whole system at once sure took a bite out of the wallet but I have been saving for quite a while so I was ready for it. Are there bookshelf speakers that provide a full rich sound like what I am used to from my old diy speakers??

If you are considering bookshelves, don't give up on your current sub. Crossing it at a more sensible level with fuller range bookshelves/monitors (perhaps at 60hz or 80 hz), as opposed to satellites (at around 120 hz, or so) will let it do its job rather than trying to fill in for the larger mid-range woofers that your current system lacks.

Many of us prefer a monitor and sub system for music (and home theater, for that matter) to floor-standers, as the bass (sub) can be placed at a more optimal spot than being locked in with the midrange and tweeters in one box (well, two boxes).

A price range will help us recommend a set of monitors/bookshelves (and a center channel, if you wish).

·
Registered
469 Posts

If you are considering bookshelves, don't give up on your current sub. Crossing it at a more sensible level with fuller range bookshelves/monitors (perhaps at 60hz or 80 hz), as opposed to satellites (at around 120 hz, or so) will let it do its job rather than trying to fill in for the larger mid-range woofers that your current system lacks.

QUOTE]

The HKTS18 as a HTIB that includes the sub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts