AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 3 models at Costco I am considering. It has to be from there because of the warranty, so these are the 3 models I've narrowed it down to.

We are broadcasting our educational access channel 24/7 so the most important thing is a nice SD signal and a room that is full of sunlight and fluorescent light.

Sony KDL-52VL150

Sharp AQUOS C77UN

Samsung LN52A750

All 3 are all within a few hundred dollars, so it's more about quality over price. I'm worried about the Sharp banding issues, but don't know much about the others. Your input would help a lot. I am buying one of these on Monday the 24th. thank you

·
Registered
165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchecker /forum/post/17043625

There are 3 models at Costco I am considering. It has to be from there because of the warranty, so these are the 3 models I've narrowed it down to.

We are broadcasting our educational access channel 24/7 so the most important thing is a nice SD signal and a room that is full of sunlight and fluorescent light.

Sony KDL-52VL150

Sharp AQUOS C77UN

Samsung LN52A750

All 3 are all within a few hundred dollars, so it's more about quality over price. I'm worried about the Sharp banding issues, but don't know much about the others. Your input would help a lot. I am buying one of these on Monday the 24th. thank you

I would go with the samsung in my home, BUT in a class room with possible reflection of light it's a must to go with the sony! All samsungs have major reflective screens. It makes the picture quality seem to pop more for some due to the shine.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorial79 /forum/post/17043664

I would go with the samsung in my home, BUT in a class room with possible reflection of light it's a must to go with the sony! All samsungs have major reflective screens. It makes the picture quality seem to pop more for some due to the shine.

I agree that the Sony would probably be best for the classroom, especially given the many lights in there.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Sony is the way to go for sure. SD should be acceptable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm also looking for a 52" and narrowed it down to the samsung and sony. however my store only has the sony in that size. i also can't seem to find any reviews of the unit. is it a special model number just for costco? what is the mass market equivalent of the Sony KDL-52VL150?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300zx /forum/post/17051844

It would be a KDL52V5100. I agree with everyone else, matte finish for a classroom setting.

so the sony is a 2009 model correct? i think the samsung A750 is last year's model, i thought reading a march 08 date or something...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave300zx /forum/post/17051844

It would be a KDL52V5100. I agree with everyone else, matte finish for a classroom setting.

Does anyone know what are the big difference(s) between the KDL52V5100 and KDL-52VL150?

Since it's for Costco, are the specs any different?

The reason I ask is because I just checked Amazon and the KDL52V5100 is cheaper, and has free shipping. Is it a better model, because it would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and I'm buying 2 of them....

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchecker /forum/post/17052756

Does anyone know what are the big difference(s) between the KDL52V5100 and KDL-52VL150?

Since it's for Costco, are the specs any different?

The reason I ask is because I just checked Amazon and the KDL52V5100 is cheaper, and has free shipping. Is it a better model, because it would be a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and I'm buying 2 of them....

I'm guessing they are the same TV. Costco and Sam's Club just love to change model numbers. There may be a few minor cosmetic changes (the bezel may be different), but the "internal organs" are most likely the same. Amazon is a great place to buy from. My last two TVs have come from them with absolutely no problems with and no hassle with delivery.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Looking at those pictures, the set looks like a Z5100, which is clearly better than the W5100 and especially the V5100. But that has a longer warranty than the original V5100.

I'd just get it to fool some people >;D

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/17054179

Looking at those pictures, the set looks like a Z5100, which is clearly better than the W5100 and especially the V5100. But that has a longer warranty than the original V5100.

I'd just get it to fool some people >;D

i thought the z5100 is 240hz and the costco one is 120hz

·
Registered
158 Posts
Costco tvs are generally the same specifications, but come bundled with something. I remember the old w4100 came with a Bravia internet video link.

The Z series has a slim bezel ala xbr9 with forward firing speakers. The V5100 has a thicker piano black glossy bezel.

They all have a 1 year warranty unless Costco offers a longer warranty with the purchase.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/17056773

Yes the Z5100 does have 240hz, but the link above to the Sony is for the V5100 but it looks just like the Z5100. The looks can fool

So, the Costco one isn't a "watered-down" version of a similar Sony model? I've seen some that have less HDMI, less contrast, response time, etc..

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchecker /forum/post/17057374

So, the Costco one isn't a "watered-down" version of a similar Sony model? I've seen some that have less HDMI, less contrast, response time, etc..

Relatively all Costco exclusive models are exactly the same as the original model but has a longer warranty and a different cosmetic look.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just bought a KDL-52VL150 from Sam's Club and it does appear to be almost identical to the 52V5100, almost. If the specs are correct, it looks like the VL150 is about 9 pounds lighter than the the V5100 and a little over an inch thinner. Also, the VL150 boasts a "dynamic" contrast ratio of 70,000:1 vs. 50,000:1 for the 52V5100, although the specs show the same "on screen" contrast ratios of 5,000:1. Looking over the rest of the specs, I suspect the panel and the guts are the same and the higher "dynamic" contrast ratio stated for the VL150 might be just marketing hype. Maybe someone can explain to me exactly what dynamic contrast ratio means, but I have never paid much attention to contrast ratio specs anyway.

Aside from these differences, the two sets appear identical in every other respect and the Sam's/Costo model is definitely not a cheapie stripped version. The inputs, processing, modes, adjustments and other features are exactly the same.

Go to these links and click the Marking Specification pdfs to compare.

52L150

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=KDL52VL150

52V5100

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=KDL52V5100

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.