AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I live in Taiwan.

I'm looking for a good quality 42 inch flat screen TV.

I want to use it for:

Watching TV (not all channels here are available in HD)

Watching standard MP4 videos / not in HD format

Perhaps some XBOX 360 / PS2 in the future

Browsing the internet with wireless mouse and keyboard

Watching the odd DVD

It seems that LED is very pricey for now for what it delivers at this stage so I think that I'm looking at an LCD.

Despite the fact that so many LCD / LED and PLASMA TV's are built here, you might be surprised to hear that the USA still has the best pricing and selection.

As a result, I really only see the following TV brands here:

Toshiba

Panasonic

Sony

Vizio

Samsung

LG

There are some Taiwanese brands that might be pretty good but I'd like to stay away from them (ex. BENQ)

Export quality Sharpe TV's are NOT available in Taiwan ONLY specially imported Sharpe TV's from Japan with no warranty.

There is a nice Vizio SV421XVT-T available at my local Cost Co now.

Should I be waiting for the Vizio SV422XVT to arrive?

Price is not so much of an object with these brands but I'm looking for quality and durability and a good Warranty.

There is no 'extended warranty' in Taiwan the way you'd get in the USA and Canada.

It seems most folks on this forum thinks that the new Vizio TV's are a very good value but I've seen some comments elsewhere on Vizio models from a couple of years ago where quality-control seems to be a big problem. Lots of angry people.

ALSO: Please be advised. I can't really compare TV's here in Taiwan like you might in the USA at BESTBUY. I can't walk into a store here with a variety of video formats on a memory stick and compare the pictures of two comparable TV's.

REASON: salespeople don't make commission. They can't be bothered spending a half-an-hour to help compare pictures with you.

Any help you might be able to afford would really be swell.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
all them brands are fine, i dont know much about LG. also i didnt know benq was considered bad, they make a decent projector. im suprised you cant get this these dirtcheap there because they dont even have to get on a boat to come to you

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't know Vizio was Taiwanese. I thought it was American. (Made in Asia of course)

Strangely, I've been looking around for the new Vizio SV422XVT but can't find it here.

Also, "Mobile01" is a fantastic resource........but I'm not Taiwanese so I can't read Chinese. Alas.

It is a big misconception that products made here in Asia can be gotten locally for cheaper than could be had at the end of the supply chain (namely the USA)

I run into this problem ALL the time, especially for bicycles.

Most brands that I like: SURLY, GIANT, TREK, SPECIALIZED are all made down the street from me.

Nevertheless, I pay the exact same price (for specific models) as I would if I had bought it in the USA........sans taxes.

ALL products made here are made within free-trade / non-tax zones so they are kept on a very tight leash when sold locally.

Otherwise.......folks would just resell them to the US market.

Anyway, any advice about specific TV models would be swell too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Taiwan also has better official Sharp Products.

You might want to look at the Sharp LED Local Dimming Sets LX1T (Taiwan Sharp Official Page) series utilizing Sharp U2VA Panel.

This is the 60" LX1T (Taiwan Sharp Official Page) with some details and informations. 40" 46" 52" 60" sizes available.

And if interested here is another site HDClub

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I strongly suggest Sharp as well, in particular if Taiwan offer is similar to what Sharp offers to Japanese market, and if the price is reasonable.

Boky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts