AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing the TV has to be 50hz compatible, etc. The tv will also need to have a PC input for video conferencing.

Does it even make sense to buy one and have it shipped? Pro's and Con's?

I'll be asking about other home theater stuff as well like, DVD player, receiver, speakers.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/14176022

I'm guessing the TV has to be 50hz compatible, etc. The tv will also need to have a PC input for video conferencing. Does it even make sense to buy one and have it shipped? Pro's and Con's?

It would be less hassle to just buy a home market model once you arrive in the UK, and probably less expensive when you figure in shipping and insurance (if insurance is even available). Also, a US market plasma will not have a valid warranty outside of the US, and some parts are different on the UK models so a US model might not even be serviceable in the UK. And that whole 60Hz/50Hz thing, SCART thing, PAL, thing and whatever other odd stuff they have over there.

If you're not aware of it, here is a good UK based Plasma forum very similar to AVS:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/14176351

It would be less hassle to just buy a home market model once you arrive in the UK, and probably less expensive when you figure in shipping and insurance (if insurance is even available). Also, a US market plasma will not have a valid warranty outside of the US, and some parts are different on the UK models so a US model might not even be serviceable in the UK. And that whole 60Hz/50Hz thing, SCART thing, PAL, thing and whatever other odd stuff they have over there.

If you're not aware of it, here is a good UK based Plasma forum very similar to AVS:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Thank you Randy, I appreciate.

One of the reasons why my brother was contemplating going this route is shipping, etc is covered by the company. You bring up other good points that probably make it more reasonable to just buy in London as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
On the technical side -

SCART is not a problem as there converters from SCART to Component, etc.

PAL is in analog era - no worries if you don't plan to connect composite and s-video inputs to your TV.

All you need for your TV is HDMI, Conponent and VGA inputs - these will work anywhere in the world, all you need to care is that your TV can handle both 50Hz and 60Hz signals.

You can always buy 50Hz to 60Hz HDMI converter but these are not cheap.

Professional Panasonic, NEC and Pioneer plasmas all handle PAL and 50/60Hz signals. AFAIK, they will handle 240V 50Hz power, so no need in step down transformers.

There were also posts here on AVSForum from people taking consumer Pioneer 6010 plasmas to Russia and Israel and having no problems.

Is it worth it taking plasma to UK? AFAIK, prices in Europe are higher for flat panels, if you don't have to pay for shipping and insurance then you can take a panel with you. In the same time if there is a problem then you will have to pay for repairs yourself that might be costly. You have to ask yourself if the price difference between the States and UK worth the risk of bringing a panel with you?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 9G Pioneers support PAL, 50Hz over HDMI and 240V 50Hz.

The only thing is if you have to pay import duty it's pretty high on TVs - 14% duty and 17.5% VAT.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjones /forum/post/14177099

The only thing is if you have to pay import duty it's pretty high on TVs - 14% duty and 17.5% VAT.

Hi,

Sorry to butt in but I am a Brit and the Nazi customs here will tax you big time - they will take the price of the tv, usually add the shipping charge (even though your company might be paying for it), then add the 14% import duty followed by ridiculously expensive handling charges and after that they will then apply the 17.5% VAT.

My advice is, bring along a Costco membership if you have one as you can use that to purchase from UK Costco - it's an option that may work in your favour depending on what they have in stock at the time.

Prices are coming down here in the UK but still nowhere near as cheap as the US - welcome to England! I hope you are looking forward to paying around $11-$12 for a gallon of gas!

Bazzy!

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjones /forum/post/14177099

I was just reading in another thread this isn't true. Who should I listen to? I'm thinking about importing one to Australia. It's 10% Tax and perhaps a 5% duty tax to import these. Shipping charges excluded, only pay tax on the value of the item being imported.

It would work out quite a bit cheaper for me, especially for a 60" which are around $10kau here, which is around $9600us. I only watch TV through an HD Foxtel box which is HDMI 1080i 50hz. I have a PS3 for movies, which is usually 1080p 60hz. So what you are saying would be suitable for me. I'd just have to source and international warranty for the TV so I can get it fixed locally if I need to. Should be able to source that as most retailers in NZ supplied TV's with international warranties.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's been 100% confirmed by one of the forum sponsors here. What thread were you reading that says otherwise?

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
Show me who says its not true, as it is
They do work.

P.S. There is international warranty you can purchase that will start aftert the first year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijacking but I'm in the same situation. I want to bring a 1080 set to Israel since the prices here are over 3 times as expensive

what are the chances a plasma I buy will have manufacture defects?

I have a 3000$ budget for a 50" tv don't know what plasma to get if I decide to get one as of now I'm considering an LCD ln52A750.

can anyone recommend me ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts