AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first HDTV this week, and have a few questions about bargaining with CC. I can buy this TV for around $1700 shipped from online stores, but I really won't want to go that route due to warranty issues. I've looked around, and almost no other store sells Hitachi TV's in the Chicago area. I would like a local store with lower prices to get the price down to at least $1800 all together.

Has anybody haggled with CC enough to get prices down? Will they do anything to match internet pricing? Will Hitachi honor their warranty from internet stores?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Will they do anything to match internet pricing? Will Hitachi honor their warranty from internet stores?

I can answer these two, CC will only price match if you have proof another B&M store in your area has it cheaper, they will not price match against Internet vendors. As for the warranty, call Hitachi ahead of time and verify the online vendor your dealing with is reputable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but you did miss out on a great opportunity last week. CC had 10% off TV's $699 and up via their online site. In fact, I purchased the 51F510 through them last week as well; basically, I printed out the online invoice with the 10% discount, and brought it into the store... they actually price-matched their online site price. You could keep an eye on their site as they often have deals which aren't normally available in the store. It seems that they run specials on tv's quite often, so it shouldn't be too long for something like that (I normally hate their promotions where you get a gift card with the purchase rather than an actual discount on the item).

You aren't considering the extended warranty, are you? Personally, I decided not to as this was a CRT and not a DLP or LCD. The sales associate didn't say a single thing after I said I wasn't interested at all in it... in fact, his only sales pitch for it was that it covered surges. $370 is just way too high for this.

By the way, great set... just be sure to calibrate it immediately as the out-of-box picture is not so good. After spending an hour with AVIA, my set looks amazing with DVDs and actually looks decent with my SD cable ran through TiVo!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You are still in luck. I work for CC. right now we have 24m no interest but no 10% off. However, BB does. SO try to get the 10% off price match and go with our financing. Done Deal. Try your best to haggle with warranty. Good luck and happy HDTV viewing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Did you try doing search on Hit. website for dealer? They have a few in the Chicago area. http://www.hitachi.us/tv/resource/de...oc_index.shtml

I actually got my 57s715 from an appliance store(for tv, 5yr ext. war. & free delivery & sales tax, the total price was less then Sears's list price). I would think CC would probably match price of set but not sure about the price of ext. war. if you decided you wanted it (I wasn't going to get one for my Hit. but figured it was actually pretty cheap so why not play it safe). Only drawback on appliance store is that I'm not sure about their return policy is (doubt it's as generous as CC but that's one of the reasons CC marks their prices up to cover that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.. I didn't notice BB's sale this week.. I'll be utilizing that!! CC does have a $100 rebate on all TV's right now.. but the 10% is much better. Any chance I can get the CC sale price of $1809 plus the 10% off?

No need for the financing, I'm paying cash. :)

Where do you guys get the AVIA DVD?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HOLY CRAP!!

I must have missed this store when I was on the Hitachi web site yesterday, but I found another B & M store near me that has it for "Just over $1500, delivered".

Thanks for the tip! I can't believe I missed it!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In the Chicago Area, CC, Sears, The Great Indoors and Columbia Audio/Video carry Hitachi that I know of. There are probably others.

Columbia will work with you on the price, CC and Sears generally do not. Never bought from Great Indoors. In my experience CC will only take money off if you are also purchasing their warranty.

Personally I'd spend the $370 on an ISF calibration rather than the warranty. The calibration will void any extended warranty anyways so save your money. The sales people at CC don't work on comission anymore so they really don't care whether you get the plan or not (but their managers do).

·
Registered
136 Posts
CC did "internet" price match my Receiver and speakers....

They price matched Crutchfield for speakers...Wasn't that big of a difference....A 100 or so off.....

They price matched the Good Guys Online site for receiver....The good guys store is different from the online site.....Not sure why...All I had were printed prices from the website...

When haggling it's always best to have the money shown....

When I was looking at TV's, I was asking for free stand or any discount....They said no.....

When I was buying, I got every thing for 3K out the door...Including delivery, stand, 5 year warranty and tax....So I saved about 500.....

I went in looking to pay full price so any savings was an added benefit for me....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrhk400f
Geez... I got the 51S715 for under 2 with free delivery and 5 yr warranty from Video Only...
Is this reply directed at me?

I was commenting on "haggling" and "internet price matching" only.....The TV I bought was different all together.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
His point was that he got a better model for a great price. I have a similar story.

I orginally had the 51F510. Got it at CC in MI for less than $1400 dlvd, but I also paid $370 for the 4 yr warranty...probably why he offered me the TV at $1400. I was working w/ the store mgr and he offered this price to me...I didn't even have to say anything other than I wasn't interested at their current sale price, which at the time also included 2 yrs interest free. He basically asked what it would take for me to buy it that day, and I told him to come back to me w/ his best price, which was the $1400 + $370.

Well, my friend then started talking to some schmoe at ABC Warehouse, a company that carries the 51S715, but not the F510. After struggling to decide to go through some hassles to save some coin, I got the 51S715 for only $150 more than the F510, and that price included the 5 yr extd warranty, ya know, the cash making cow. Well, I didn't like working w/ ABC or their extd warranty policy, so I returned the 51S715 to them, and went to Sears and got another 51S715 for the price match +10% difference, but this time w/o the extd warranty.

Basically, I figured that ABC only gave me the price they did for the S715 because I was also getting their cash-cow warranty. However, they itemized the receipt such that the discount was taken all on the TV price, while leaving the warranty at the full $379.95.

FWIW, I do notice the difference between the S715 and F510 and am glad I went that route, but it was a no-brainer for me since the price was so low. I figure that the integrated tuner will come in handy sooner than later, and the USB input and black trim is pretty nice to boot. The F510 is a quality set as well, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.