AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to purchase a 64 or 65 inch plasma or LED TV. I am finishing my basement and believe the room will have a low enough light level to have a plasma, or at least one of the better plasma's which from what I can tell seem to do a bit better with reflection. WIndows face west so between late afternoon would be the most light and the only time with any sort of direct sun light. These are the options I am considering

*Panasonic Plasma TC-65PS64 - I found it still available from brandnewdealsusa.com (ONLY) for $1499, no tax and free deilvery. I am a little hesitant to deal with this seller.

*Samsung Plasma PN64E7000 available from buy.com for $1699, no tax, free delivery. I am again a little hesitant to deal with this seller. I have found it on other more legit sites (like Newegg) for $2200 or $2300 however I prefer to stay below $1800.

*Samsung UN65F6300 LED - available for around $1500

*Samsung UN65F6400 LED - Available for about $1750

*Samsung UN65F7100 LED - Available for about $1900

*Samsung PN64F5500 Plasma - Available for about $1750 or $1800. Reviews say this TV is very bad with light, seemingly worse than other Plasma TV's

I would really LOVE to get the Samsung PN64F8500 which can be found for $2500 however I dont really to spend this much.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts

I suggest a plasma as they are by far a better picture over most LED TVs and basements are naturally darker than main floor rooms.  If you TV watching is like most folks you will be using it a nighttime.

I also suggest adding the new PN64H5000 to your short list.

Greg

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I owned a 60E7000 and thought it had a great picture with a decent filter. The S64 will not offer a good daytime picture as Panasonic's better filters kick in at the ST60 level.

Any Samsung LED below the 7000 series is not really going to come close to the plasma's as far as uniformity, black levels and off angle viewing is concerned. The F7100 will be a little better.

The E7000 on Buy.com is coming up at $2,289 from a terrible rated seller?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Plasmas are so much better than LCD/LED

RE: "I am finishing my basement and believe the room will have a low enough light level to have a plasma"

That is NOT an issue or needed with the PN64F8500 plasma TVs - they perform exceptionally well in any environment - if you could stretch it out to work, you would not be disappointed

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24480661

I thought the S64 actually used the same filter as the ST60. I have one too and it doesn't seem much different from the one in the ST60...
The S64 uses the Infinite Black filter while the ST60 uses the Infinite Black Pro.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
There are two filters, AR and Black filter. The AR filter may be the same but as ERIC states the black filters are different. That is why the ST60 blacks are darker.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24480927

There are two filters, AR and Black filter. The AR filter may be the same but as ERIC states the black filters are different. That is why the ST60 blacks are darker.

And black filter dictates how black a panel gets when off? That's interesting. I thought the IR filter would take care of both. I turned off the ST60 in the showroom by accident, and compared to the ZT60, it was lighter.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts
It may make the panel appear darker when off but who cares ? It does restrict the amount of light output and decrease the mll. Hence the max luminance order:

ST60>VT60>ZT60

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
step one, cross off all the LED's from your list.

step two, consider the fact that OLED is probably 5+ yrs away from being affordable, reliable, and available enough to replace whatever tv you are buying today

step three, is $100 a year really too much? 3 years from now when you want to upgrade that s60 or f5500 and realize you can't, that 500bux won't seem like such a big deal... the f8500(or vt60 if you can find one) are going to make you a lot happier today, and you'll be happier with them for years to come. meaning you can wait longer to upgrade, which will save you a lot more money in the long run

black filters help PQ a lot imo. if the screen doesn't look black when its off, it'll never be even close when it's on.

F8500 (off)

B530 (off)

obviously there's more changes between these TV's, but here's a comparison of them when on

overexposed to show how much blacker the f8500 really is

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24482585

It may make the panel appear darker when off but who cares ? It does restrict the amount of light output and decrease the mll. Hence the max luminance order:

ST60>VT60>ZT60

Has it been confirmed that non-ZT60 type filter actually decreases light output? That is one urban myth I'd like to know the truth of... That story traces way back from the CRTs and SXRDs.

·
Registered
12,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24482931

Has it been confirmed that non-ZT60 type filter actually decreases light output? That is one urban myth I'd like to know the truth of... That story traces way back from the CRTs and SXRDs.

Not sure what you mean I didnt say that in fact it's the opposite

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24482999

Yes that is the reason the vt can get brighter than the zt and the st can get brighter than the vt

Hmm...I understand the ZT60 getting darker than the VT60 because it's using the most advanced anti glare filter, thus, 5 fL penalty. (Ditto for the F8500. Not as effective as the ZT60, but it's got some serious viewing angles issues) But the ST60 is different from those two. It alone has worse input lag than the two. The ZT60 and the VT60 has same input lag. If what you said is true, at least the rate of white falloff should be the same between the VT60 and the ST60, but it's not. The ST60 has less steeper ABL falloff than the VT60.

I can at least understand the AR filter the VT60 uses may decrease light output more than the one ST60 uses, but I wouldn't say that's really the reason the ST60 is brighter.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1522454/buying-a-64-or-65-tv-need-some-advice-please#post_24482821

step one, cross off all the LED's from your list.

step two, consider the fact that OLED is probably 5+ yrs away from being affordable, reliable, and available enough to replace whatever tv you are buying today

step three, is $100 a year really too much? 3 years from now when you want to upgrade that s60 or f5500 and realize you can't, that 500bux won't seem like such a big deal... the f8500(or vt60 if you can find one) are going to make you a lot happier today, and you'll be happier with them for years to come. meaning you can wait longer to upgrade, which will save you a lot more money in the long run

black filters help PQ a lot imo. if the screen doesn't look black when its off, it'll never be even close when it's on.

F8500 (off)

B530 (off)

obviously there's more changes between these TV's, but here's a comparison of them when on

overexposed to show how much blacker the f8500 really is
Sweet looking theater room!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
^^well that depends how much you see and how clean it is that day, haha.

made a few changes though, been going through a 'darkening phase' to help with the projector

the only thing I wasn't allowed to paint/cover...

Reactions: eric3316

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking that the Panasonic Plasma TC-65PS64 -brandnewdealsusa.com (ONLY) for $1499, no tax and free deilvery may be the way to go if the seller is legit. From what I understand the TC-65PS64 has better anti-reflective technology than the step down model (the S??). The H5000 seems to be very reflective like the 5500 from the early reviews. The h7000 appears to be late august which is too long from me to wait.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would not wait for any speculated sets(h7000) and buy what you can find today.

if you can get an S64, for a price you like, I'd say go for it. it does have a different filter than the s60, supposedly somewhere between the s60 and st60.

Reactions: gus738
1 - 19 of 19 Posts