AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my RTV 5080 for about two weeks now. I have read a lot on DVD RW drives but I'm a bit confused.

What will I be able to do with the DVD RW on a PC with DVarchive?

Is it a simple process to get shows onto a DVD and play in a DVD player hooked to my TV?

What software is needed?

How many hours of programming can I fit on a DVD?

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
A lot of good info & links here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=344824

# of minutes on DVD depends on recording quality and somewhat on the particular show itself - it's advised to use Medium quality or lower for most recordings. DVDShrink is great freeware that (among other great things) can be used to shrink contents of an RTV DVD you authored to hard drive for shows > 4.7G.

·
Registered
200 Posts
At Standard Quality, I can get 5 hours and 15 minutes of ReplayTV programming to fit onto a DVD-R. Medium quality gets me about half that. The main thing to keep in mind is that the advertised 4.7GB capacity of DVDs is really 4,700,000,000 bytes, which works out to only about 4.3GB in the real world.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cman67
I have had my RTV 5080 for about two weeks now. I have read a lot on DVD RW drives but I'm a bit confused.

What will I be able to do with the DVD RW on a PC with DVarchive?

You'll be able to record your DVArchived shows to DVD

Quote:
Is it a simple process to get shows onto a DVD and play in a DVD player hooked to my TV?

It's basic, but not always simple

Quote:
What software is needed?

Lots of options, but I use DVArchive -> Womble -> TMPEnc DVD Author -> DVD2one -> Nero

Quote:
How many hours of programming can I fit on a DVD?

As was stated, it all depends on how the video was encoded/recorded. And/or you can shrink down any of your programming using something like DVDShrink or DVD2one

·
Registered
100 Posts
Simple...

I record in standard mode.

I transfer the mpg files to my PC via DVArchive.

I open the mpg files with ULead DVD Movie Factory.

I then extract the video (cut out the commercials)

Set the Bitrate to 4000

Record two hours of standard Replay to each DVD.

I usually get two one hour TV show episodes on one DVD

Once you extract the video using Ulead you can either have Ulead burn the DVD for you or save it as the necessary files for other software to burn it.

I could not be more simple.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlathem
I record in standard mode.

I open the mpg files with ULead DVD Movie Factory.

I then extract the video (cut out the commercials)

Set the Bitrate to 4000

I usually get two one hour TV show episodes on one DVD
I record all my shows at medium quality and I get FOUR 1-hr TV Episodes per DVD (after removing commercials and very minor shrinkage)

If you're really recording at Standard and only getting 2 shows per DVD, then I'd look into your ULead settings if I were you. It sounds like you're re-encoding a low quality show at a much higher bitrate

At 'standard' quality level you should be getting WAY more than 2 hrs per DVD. More like SIX or SEVEN 1hr shows after removing commercials.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I too am in the market for a DVD burner and want to be able to archive some things on DVD.

I have read several threads that talk about doing this and most seem to go thru several more steps that you do (using Womble, etc).

I already have Ulead DVD Movie Studio and obviously would like to avoid buying more software if possible.

What are others doing that you are not and why?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.