AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody. This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while and this forum has been a great resource for helping me choose a TV. Anyway, I've recently been leaning towards getting a Mitsu WD-65732. They haven't exactly been easy to find, but the other day I found one at a local (northern VA/DC) chain. The only 732 available is a floor model. Normally, I wouldn't consider buying a floor model, but they are offering it with an included 5-year warranty, which includes 2 bulb replacements.

Does anyone have any experience with buying a floor model TV? Aside from the bulb life, is there anything else I should be concerned about considering this TV has been on at least 10-12 hours a day for the better part of a year? Should the warranty still function the same way as it would for a brand new model, or is there a chance I could end up getting screwed somewhere down the line since it was a display? For the record: this TV is priced about $600 less than BB/Magnolia is charging for a new model.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can check the hours on the set by pressing menu, then 2470, the hours are listed at the left bottom of the screen, then press exit to leave the menu.

My light engine was replaced at 2000 hours and the bulb just blew at 2400 hours, other than that it is a phenomenal tv. I think the light engines are becoming an issue with these models, I have seen others with similar issues as mine did. Best way to check for the light engine issue is to have it in a dark room with a black background with white text, like the end credits on a dvd, the text will have a glow around it if it is going bad. I have attached a picture of what it looks like.

What price are they asking for it? I would say a floor model would be fine if it does not have too many hours on it.

Check the hours on it first, then negotiate from there, the newer the better.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Your 2 bulb replacements will really be one, as the original is probably pretty well shot.

As MitchL said, the light engine is the other expensive part that is prone to failure. Color wheels also are mechanical and tend to fail in time, but are far less expensive than the light engine.

Might consider the set if the extended warranty has good replacement coverage. Most will replace the set if it breaks so many times for the same reason.

Personally, I'd have to get a really really good price to consider a floor model unless the set was just installed. With this model getting towards the end of it's production cycle, it has probably been there for awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will definately be checking the hours on the bulb. Right now they are asking $2,200 for it. I plan on going in later today to try and negotiate a much better price. I just don't see it being worth it to pay more than $2,000 for it even with the warranty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wish I could see the attraction in a technology which is seemingly designed to fail repeatedly during it's expected lifespan while delivering a less detailed picture... If you'd like the best picture available and an expected lifespan of around 15 years with little or no maintainance, search out the last remaining CRT rear-projection tvs before they're gone. No bulb replacements, no failed light engines, no color wheel failures. No kidding!

People seem to be willing to give up virtually everything to have the latest technology even when it's a step down in quality (MP3 players replacing CDs, etc.) We just got a 65f59a Hitachi, delivered inside for $1289 and after a brief set-up adjustment the picture is fantastic! Don't judge PQ by how these sets look under halide lights at Costco. If you have a reasonably dim viewing area CRT has a more detailed picture, MUCH richer blacks at around 1/2 the cost per inch. Or, you can jump on the latest class-action suit for bulb failure or light engine orrrrrr...

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdaf- /forum/post/0

Wish I could see the attraction in a technology which is seemingly designed to fail repeatedly during it's expected lifespan while delivering a less detailed picture... If you'd like the best picture available and an expected lifespan of around 15 years with little or no maintainance, search out the last remaining CRT rear-projection tvs before they're gone. No bulb replacements, no failed light engines, no color wheel failures. No kidding!

No, not always! I recently replaced a 5 year old CRT RPTV which gave me nothing but problems for a Mits DLP set. Sure, I realize that the DLP will have maintenance costs with the bulbs, and any TV can end up being a lemon, but CRT RPTVs aren't always so wonderful either. I only wish I had been able to get "15 years with little or no maintenance" out of my old one, I didn't even get 1/3 of that amount of life out of it. Not to mention that in my experience, the picture quality on the CRT I had was never even close as good as it is on the DLP set I have now.

This is OT I know, but I had to reply....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will agree that crt's can look really good, however the "out of box" experience is not even close to today's technology, imo. My biggest complaint was the convergence which I never seen on a single set that was correct all the way across the screen and would vary as the tv warmed up and also the geometry seemed pretty poor as well, the geometry was usually fixed with simple service menu settings.

As for life expectancy, burn-in is a serious issue on a crt, my last crt was a Sony 57 vega, it developed burn-in within 3 monthsfrom watching too much 4:3 content and I was using the grey bars on the side, the dealer said that was their solution for the black bars causing the burn in, my mits 65" after the vega had burn-in from a store demo playing on it in less than a month, pretty funny a Sony logo burned in on a Mits screen
, needless to say that one was returned for a Sony Vega LCD RP 50", and I haven't looked back, have since had Sammy DLP 61", Mits DLP 62", Sony SXRD 60", and now a Mits DLP 65".

-Mitch

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a floor model and got an extra $300 off because i waited for the new model to go on sale. Basically the new one went on sale for the clearance price of the old one but included a stand (that i did not want) and was new in a box. Be sure to check that out and don't be afraid to make them sweat by leaving your number and walking away. I did this and they called me back a day later.

EDIT: i also paid cash which helps because retailers usually pay third party companies 7-12% for financing so cash helps.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdaf- /forum/post/0

Wish I could see the attraction in a technology which is seemingly designed to fail repeatedly during it's expected lifespan while delivering a less detailed picture... ...Or, you can jump on the latest class-action suit for bulb failure or light engine...

If what you mean by "technology" is microdisplays as a whole, obviously we do not yet know what their long-term reliability is, but aside from (possibly) rotating wheels in DLPs there seems to be no widespread problem of failure. The oldest examples are 4-5 years old, and the threads on these models are still active on this forum, with many people reporting satisfactory reliability. If by "fail repeatedly" you mean lamp replacement, that is better described as routine maintenance rather than breakdown. CRT projection sets also need routine maintenance in the form of convergence, the difference being that you can install a lamp yourself whereas you need a technician to do the convergence. I'd rather pop in a lamp, thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Only if they are selling it for 50% of the cost of an unused TV. A floor model IS a second hand TV. The discounts they usually give for floor models is usually pathetic and an insult to the intelligence of the buyer.

IB

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
A Floor Model or Demo

Can 'Sometimes' be a Great Deal..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts