AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. Im a first time home buyer, and not doing anything too crazy (73" dlp, Polk Monitor 70s, 30s, cs2, and 500 sub). I found a house I love and about to put in an offer however the living/family room area is very open. Possibly too open?

Im wondering what the experts think? Does it not really matter? The family room is 16x16 however i would have to make it more like 16x12 to allow some room to walk behind the couch I plan to put in there (where they have a chair now).

Here is a link with some pics
http://www.jonklein.idxco.com/idx/81...ngID=F1143639#

I should note you cant see the tv in the pic but im sure you can imagine where it is based on how the couches face. I believe its pic #4

Thanks for advise/opinions

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
What's your concern? Noise, placement? Looks like you have a good wall to place the DLP and the gear, which faces the seating area and the kitchen. My current and previous homes had a similar open arrangement, which I was very happy with (since I did it again!).

Looks like a good place! (although we're spoiled with low housing prices in Houston, so I couldn't tell you if it's a good deal or not...)

Jeff

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
That is essentially the style of room I have for my living room theater...

19x27 room with the HT set up in 15x18 of it. I even have a projector for nightime movie watching.

The only thing I'll suggest is buying another pair of towers(50) for the rear. Set them on the floor in the proper placement. My rears(Waterfall Audio Iguascu) are floating in the room. People have to walk behind them. Or get stands to set the 30's on.

And before you go...

"But I don't want wires running across the floor"

You have lamps don't you? You have clocks that plug in(maybe). Buy some lamp cord that matches the color of the lamp cords in the room and use that for speaker wire.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I guess being this is a lot of money and I plan to live there a long time I want to make sure it will work. I actually took 5 min to do a little photoshop just now of the design.

See attached

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
That's a good arrangement, very similar to my house and lots of good, open plans.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Does that floor have electrical outlets in it?

If so, great spot for that subwoofer...if not...well you can always get a nice rug. (which my couch in the far back of the room has a rug under it. The wire for the "floating speaker" is under that rug, with a hole cut into the rug the speaker sits on and the wire comes up through)

DAV

Salvation Army

Goodwill

All sources of rugs you don't care what you do with them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW my concern was the openness when it came to sound as well as being fairly close to the TV. I would be approx 11ft from the TV. Being that I plan to put a 82" Mitsu DLP in there, Im not sure how good that is. My last concern is the the rear speakers and the couch that is sort of free floating.

My guess is Im over analyzing but I sure do appreciate the input

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Yes you are over analyzing...

Is "free floating" the best option? No.

But neither is putting the couch where you want(which isn't the issue) and having to try to find somewhere to put the speakers on that wall that is almost nothing but window.

But if you buy towers(or just speaker stands)...then you have all sorts of options of where to move them around the room to find what suits you the best.

And don't tell me, they are running a 2.1 system and have to open the doors on that stand to hear the stereo.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, good eye. No idea as I saw the house when owners werent home but it is very odd. Certainly my set up is much larger. I have M30s now and have no problems getting M50s or M60s for the rear. Again just checking

Was thinking of hanging from the ceiling too but probably better to go the route you mentioned

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Does the house have a basement or crawl space? Or is it on a slab? If there is acc3ess below, it is straightforward to add a floor outlet. You will want one for a reading lamp anyway.

If it is on a slab, I would move the sub to the front wall near the TV. A good sub is non-directional meaning you can't tell where the sound is coming from. Still need to play a bit to get best sound, but it would avoid all the wire issues.

DON'T put extension cords under rugs. Fire hazard. Safety hazard. May void your fire insurance. You can use an approved cord protector and even OK to put a rug over that: http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-CDI15...3761065&sr=8-4

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you have a basement, you should be able to run speaker wires for the surrounds and coax for the PSW

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately this is south FL so no basements. Which is a huge bummer after seeing what most guys on here have done with their basement!

The extension cord is a great comment. THe reason I put the sub there (or proposed) is it vibrates directly on the couch so I 'feel' it more. I suppose I may need to go back to the wall.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
assuming the power situation isnt an issue, have the sub between the 2 L shape sofas, WITHOUT a wall nearby, will that produce crappy bass? My setup where I live now is similar however I have a wall that the couch and sub are against, although I have the air port on my Polk 505 pointing at my touch, with a few inches of gab (also a few inch of gap from the wall). Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.