AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely confused on the type of 5.1 surround sound the Xbox 360 outputs and the capabilities of Toslink.

Here is the dilemma. I would like to buy a cheaper Blu-ray HTIB which has no HDMI inputs. Which would mean my Xbox and Cable box would plug into my TV. And my TV would plug into the receiver with HDMI and Toslink.

Will that net me the same 5.1 surround from the Xbox as if I had a HTIB that had HDMI inputs? Or would it be better to spend a little more money and get a HTIB that I can plug my Xbox and Cable box into via HDMI?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
you can get 5.1 with hdmi or toslink, most tv's will not pass 5.1 from an aux input over toslink, meaning the xbox would have to be connected to a receiver with either hdmi or toslink, and then to the tv, not from the xbox to the tv to the receiver.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You don't need HDMI pass through to get get video to your TV and 5.1 to your HTIB. What you need is an AV cable from MS that allows you to plug in a separate HDMI cable straight to the 360 AND Toslink into the MS cable. You can then run the HDMI to your TV for video and the Toslink to your HTIB for 5.1 audio. You would then need a second Toslink input on your HTIB to receive audio from your Cable Box, if you want 5.1 audio for that, too.

Now, the key is how do you get that 360 cable that allows you to use HDMI at the same time. What I did, like others, is took my old 360 cable with Toslink out and popped the case off so there was room to stick the HDMI in below it. If you search these forums you'll find more info and pictures.

On a separate note, if I bought a new receiver now, I'd like to have HDMI pass through, since I am out of HDMI inputs on my TV (only 2), but have more devices (3 now and looking to add more) that I want to use HDMI, so I have to use component for those extra devices. You could go to the receiver threads and get more info about all that, too, but that's my quick take.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. So the only thing HDMI is better than Toslink for is HD Audio like TrueHD and DTS-HD? Which you will only see with Blu-ray? Correct?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
yes sir.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by romajc84 /forum/post/18288381

Thanks. So the only thing HDMI is better than Toslink for is HD Audio like TrueHD and DTS-HD? Which you will only see with Blu-ray? Correct?

In the 360's case HDMI's only real advantage is the one cable simplicity, IMO.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/18288636

In the 360's case HDMI's only real advantage is the one cable simplicity, IMO.

Agree. Video quality didn't improve much at all going from Component to HDMI. At least not enough to spend any extra money to use HDMI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts