AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have narrowed my new projector purchase down to the Mits HC5500 or the Epson 6100 but some of the things I have read about organic panels have me worried about buying the 6100,also will the Mits be bright enough for me coming from a HD1000u?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Organic panels have a much higher chance of showing "image retention" (similar to screen burn-in on plasma TVs). They also have a higher failure rate due to panel degradation. Due to design differences, the organic panels also may have slightly poorer black levels.

Epson uses them on their 6100, to keep the price down (and to use up their stock of old organic D6 panels).

As for the brightness issue, that is something only you can decide. It depends entirely on your viewing environment (and screen) and personal preferences. With my 106" high gain (= 2.8) screen and my preferences, the HC5500 is more than bright enough in the low lamp mode (even with a low level of ambient room light). With the drapes pulled, it's still bright enough (for me) to watch in the daytime, without having to switch to the high lamp mode -- but my room is on the NE corner of my house, and has only 2 windows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic up. Does anyone know how we can check to see which LCD projectors use organic or inorganic panels before our purchase? Does it say in the specs? How do we find out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The panels are the last thing to worry about. The polarizers will give up first long before. Just as food for thought, my kids panasonic 200 has 5600 hours on the 'original' bulb and it still looks as good as when I bought it except for a much dimmer appearance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My kids play alot of video games on the HD1000 sometimes pausing the game for 5 minutes or more when they get something to eat or whatever.I guess coming from a DLP which is maintenence free and going to a lcd which has filters to change ,maybe dust issues and the chance of screen burn etc..has me wanting to minimize the chance of problems on the projector I buy.I know the HC5500 has inorganic panels,and I trust Mitsubishi since I have had 3 Mitsubishi projectors and they have all worked great but I do not want to less bright projector than my HD1000.I have also looked at the Sharp XV-Z15000 but the warranty is not good and the bulbs are expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts