AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a Dayton Sub-1200 soon and need to figure out where I should place it and what else I need to buy with it (wire). It will be hooked up to a Denon AVR1613 receiver with Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf speakers for fronts, a Polk Audio TSi CS10 Center channel speaker and two satellite speakers from a LG LHT854 home theater in a box for rears (will eventually be replaced by in-wall speakers....probably Monoprice 8"). Below are some pictures of the room and layout:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsmith2032  /t/1522512/buying-a-new-sub-where-to-place-it-and-what-else-do-i-need-to-buy#post_24481495

Thanks what kind of cord do I need and how will I know how long it needs to be?
A subwoofer cable is that you need. I don't know how long it would be to run from your receiver to subwoofer in your seating area?

Monoprice has a great deal on cables. Unfortunately the budget cables from 10-25ft are out of stock until April. You can get their 25ft of their high quality cable for $6.73+ shipping
http://www.monoprice.com/Search?cp_id=12004&keyword=subwoofer%20cable

You will need to get a subwoofer cable to hook your subwoofer up anyways and you can still use the 25ft cable when you find the best spot for your subwoofer just hide the excess wire.

The Dayton sub has a bottom firing port with a front facing driver so make sure you put it on its side when doing the subwoofer crawl.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1522512/buying-a-new-sub-where-to-place-it-and-what-else-do-i-need-to-buy/0_100#post_24481554

The Dayton sub has a bottom fireing port with a front facing driver so make sure you put it on its side
Why?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in3rtia  /t/1522512/buying-a-new-sub-where-to-place-it-and-what-else-do-i-need-to-buy#post_24481613

Why?
Well you do this during the subwoofer crawl, cause putting the subwoofer normally the port will be blocked likely by the couch

Not when the subwoofer is in its normal operating spot just when running the subwoofer crawl

My advice here came from Audioholics video so complain to them

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
^^^ Yeah I'd like to hear the answer on that as well. Cuz actually a down firing sub or port is best for removing harmonics.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1522512/buying-a-new-sub-where-to-place-it-and-what-else-do-i-need-to-buy#post_24481801

^^^ Yeah I'd like to hear the answer on that as well. Cuz actually a down firing sub or port is best for removing harmonics.
See above, or maybe watch the Audioholics video where they said it would be a good idea if you have downward firing subwoofers. The Sub-1200 is front firing with a down firing port. It is likely if he places his subwoofer on the couch where he sits the subwoofer will sink into cushion and block port.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
CrazyRob: Gottcha..... I thought you were talkin about final placement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts