AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bring a 1080 set to Israel since the prices here are over 3 times as expensive

what are the chances a plasma I buy will have manufacture defects?

I have a 3000$ budget for a 50" tv don't know what plasma to get if I decide to get one as of now I'm considering an LCD ln52A750.

can anyone recommend me ?

·
Registered
873 Posts
The chances are slim you will receive a defective set. My main concern would be the shipping process. I would think your television stands a greater chance of being damaged in shipping due to the distance and who knows who the heck will be handling it along the way. How much more would you have to pay in Israel if one would compare the Panny 42PX80U that typically sells for around $1000.00 give or take?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parents bought a 50" plasma for around 3878.28 USD it's just a really basic samsung 720p plasma(the 720p really burns me inside and for such a price..) I will be shipping it in a container and not on a plane

I'm going to game alot (PS3 + XBOX 360) as of now our current plasma shows no sign of burn in (hope it stays like that)

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14189785

Don't they use PAL in Israel? A US TV very likely wouldn't be able to accept a PAL signal.

This was my question too.

I'd be concerned the TV might not be compatible with the signal formats used in Israel. A TV intended for the US and/or North America market would be using the NTSC system. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL or SECAM format.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I know the high end plasmas use both. but I don't think I should worry if I'm going to connect everything via hdmi and component just wonder if there's anything better I could get for 3000$ that will uppar the LN52A750

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGenius /forum/post/14191925

Well I know the high end plasmas use both. but I don't think I should worry if I'm going to connect everything via hdmi and component just wonder if there's anything better I could get for 3000$ that will uppar the LN52A750

Even if you use HDMI or component, PAL vs. NTSC will be an issue. While resolutions in the HD age are the same all over the world, frame rates are not. Most likely the US plasmas won't accept a 50hz signal. If they do, they'll probably convert it to 60hz which will add some awful judder.

I also would not assume that "high end" plasmas will accept PAL. Often it's just the opposite, lower end plasmas are more flexible while higher end ones are not.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14192780

I also would not assume that "high end" plasmas will accept PAL. Often it's just the opposite, lower end plasmas are more flexible while higher end ones are not.

Pioneer 8G and 9G will accept PAL, I'd suggest searching to find a 5010.

·
Vendor
32,767 Posts
Shipping really is not an issue, as long as a unit is insured they is no problem. DOA is something else. If you buy a US product there is n warranty in other countries over seas. (That is the big risk)

We have shipped many units all over the world with no issues, but as we all know, life happens and comes at you fast. Shipping to other countries ranges from $600 + + +

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman010 /forum/post/14193314

Pioneer 8G and 9G will accept PAL, I'd suggest searching to find a 5010.

This is correct. Also the Pro Panasonics the consumer Panasonics will not work. And there are special shippers that send Plasmas as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shipping is not my concern since I can get the shipping for free
(ony way wont be able to return in case of DOA or any other issue) My xbox 360 is ntsc and my ps3 is as well will I suffer from any issues just using the plasma for these two and watching movies? what if I connect the cables receiver via hdmi or component to the tv will I be able to watch tv on it if it doesn't support pal?

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O /forum/post/14193467

This is correct. Also the Pro Panasonics the consumer Panasonics will not work. And there are special shippers that send Plasmas as well.

Sorry to jump on the wagon; but I am also interested in taking a unit with me to Europe next year. Did you mean Pro Panasonics *will* work? I have a 10th gen commercial model panny and it accepts Pal/NTSC and since there is no tuner inside I was hoping to be OK with a PAL satellite box.

Also, one other concern I had (have) is 220v/50hz power issue. Step down transformators are OK for voltage conversion; but would there be any problem with 60hz vs. 50hz frequency difference (I am not talking about the signal here - I'm asking about the internal frequency)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my main concern is playing my xbox 360,ps3 (both ntsc and right now connected to a pal plasma with no issues ) and I don't care if I can't watch tv on it since we pretty much only have SD. using a step down transformer is all I need?

I

f I buy a tv that is only NTSC will I have any issues just connecting it with the step down transformer and playing my ntsc ps3 and xbox 360 when i'm in israel?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Normally I would say buy locally...but since you say that you get free shipping and if prices really are 3x what we have here then that may be your best bet. (just make sure the shipping is insured though even if you have to pay a little)

I really know nothing about PAL or how it differs from NTSC so I can't be of help there. Will Israeli customs try to tax it as an import or anything like that?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts