AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of research and considerations, countless of demos, breezing through many LCD sets, and ultimately falling over backwards over plasma, I've decided on Panasonic Viera TH-P42G10S. Within this week, I'm going to splash the cash. This is my first purchase of an item for over $10,000 (not real rates of course, in a relative sense) so naturally I don't want to get anything wrong.

First of, this particular model is surprisingly hard to find in my area. One big chain happen to have it stocked, but I'm worried about them scamming by selling me a displayed item (if they don't have any more of them), so I figured I'd have to do some pre-purchase test on the set before I head to the cashier. The following is my planned tests - comments and suggestions are welcome:

1. Hours used -yes, to get to this I'll have to go to the Service Menu. I'll probably could get away with it if the salesperson is ignorant. At worst, I could argue my way into it. Unless you can suggest alternative ways to check whether the set has been used or not. I don't think sealed boxes is a guarantee, unless it is Panasonic-marked. Still...

2. Dead pixel - honestly I couldn't find info on how to check this on a plasma. Help is very appreciated.

3. Physical condition - well, not much to write here except some quick inspection on the the set's finish, cabling and the remote. Any ideas?

4. IR, burn-in, panel glass condition - know how to check for them comprehensively? I suppose if I could get at #1, it should be a moot point, right?

5. I'm running out of ideas here, so if you have anything else you think I should do, by all means, post them. Remember, this is an on-store, pre-purchase inspection - I'll ask again once I get home about breaking-in and stuff.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as return policy in my country.

Aside from that (I could probably get it if I pay extra with some large chain), is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get a defective product? Even the time and effort of returning/replacing it would take a significant portion of my day - being a salaried employee and all, I don't own my freedom in weekdays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.