AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the process of selling my xbox, ps2, gamecube, and 47" rear projection Samsung HDTV (anyone in MN interested? =p). All so I can have enough money to buy a projector.

I don't want to spend more than $1500 and so I'm looking at the Infocus SP5000.

Is that a good choice or should I continue looking for alternatives? I have a dedicated room, always completely dark. My seating will be about 10' from the image. I am going to use this for gaming, hdtv, and dvds.

Where is a good place to buy screens? I'm not sure what size I want yet and don't want to spend a great deal of money on one. How important is the quality of the screen anyways?

As you can tell, I'm a noob!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
SpyGuy311 -- You can build a decent screen yourself (see the DIY section of the Screens Forum).

You get a length of Blackout Cloth (BOC) from your local fabric store and stretch it on a home made frame. Then you can get strips of black felt (same fabric shop) to put a black border (to trap light spill) around the edges. Total cost = around $40 or less -- you'll probably spend more for the frame than the fabric. One side of the BOC is a smooth white surface similar to a matte white screen. See the DIY screens for all the gory details.

Then you can watch it and see what kind of screen you want to buy (if any, you may be happy with your DIY version).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've seen the lens shift on Infocus and Panasonic AE700U. While its a cool feature I dont think it the end all in your decision making process. That being said I like the AE700U , also consider a nice little Infocus SP4805 projector (DLP) it has a great picture for its catagory and pricing.

Screen wise there are bunch to choose from but I know that Stewart , Da lite , Vutec make good screens. You can spend anywhere from 100 to couple thousand on your screen set up. Screens are important but not absolutly necessary. But if you are going for a good pic , get a screen with good gain. The coating on the screen helps brightness and crispness, and depth of your picture... the black surrounding edges makes the overall picture "pop"

Hope my 2 cents helps

[email protected]

TVauthority
[email protected]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately try the DIY screen before buying one.

I was looking at the SP4805 but it only does 480p and considering I'll be playing the next gen consoles and watching HD on it, I thought I should get something with 720p.

I'm leaning towards the Sanyo Z3 now after reading more about it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy311
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately try the DIY screen before buying one.

I was looking at the SP4805 but it only does 480p and considering I'll be playing the next gen consoles and watching HD on it, I thought I should get something with 720p.

I'm leaning towards the Sanyo Z3 now after reading more about it.
Specifications can be deceiving...the 4805 is a superb projector and value. My recommendatio is to try it each projector you are considering first and then make up your mind but dont base your decision on specs or you could be dissapointed at the end.

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.